Carers allowance

chez4901
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son has recently been awarded DLA MRC and LRM and has got the severe disability premium. I'm currently on ESA contribution based, appealing 0 points so on the assessment phase amount and considering claiming carers allowance for my son. As I understand it I wouldn't get the carers allowance just the carers premium so it wouldn't affect his severe disability premium but what happens when I move from contribution based onto income based ESA, would I just be able to stop claiming carers allowance so that it doesn't affect his disability premium? I'm hoping I might be able to get back to work by then but in case that doesn't happen I don't want it to reduce his money. Any advice would be appreciated.

I take it he lives alone to get the severe disability premium? If so and he needs 35 hours care, are there arrangements to cover this when you are working?

An alternative (if he is happy to lose the premium) is for you to end your claim for ESA and instead claim carers allowance which then makes you eligible to claim income support instead of ESA.

No he lives with me but because the landlord put the tenancy in joint names he get's the disability premium. I don't work, have been ill since Jan last year but only claiming ESA since August so I will still get contribution based ESA until August 2013. I've got an appeal in for the ESA so I'd rather see that through than claim income support as if I win the appeal I will get the extra £20 odd pounds per week I should have been getting backdated. I just want to clarify that when I move onto income based ESA if I'm still not well by then will I just be able to say I don't want to claim carers allowance anymore so my son doesn't lose his money. Not very good at wording things so I hope that clarifies it a bit.

That's strange. I don't get severe disability premium because I have non dependents living with me. Are the DWP aware he does not live alone?

joint tenants do not count as non dependants

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Yes I filled a form in with them over the phone because I thought he wouldn't get it either but because he's classed as a joint tenant he's not classed as a non dependant. All a bit confusing.