Faulty Tablet, need reassurances over Data Protection.

Tomo1969
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, was wondering if there's a way to put my mind at rest over this issue.

I was bought a lovely little Android Tablet for Christmas from the High Street Retail Chain, "GAME".

It has since developed a faulty whereby it wont charge up, and is effectively "dead".

I'm taking it back this week for a replacement, as I'm fairly sure this isn't acceptable "wear and tear" or whatever, and even though it was bought in November the fact that it was as part of a "Christmas Promotion" the "Reasonable Time" would start form 25th December, so this has occured within 1 month.

I don't have a problem with my rights over replacing it, but I do have a concern over what happens to it when it goes back...

It's not got my bank details or anything on their, but it IS linked to my Google Account, and a couple of other items, (PC and Phone). Is there any rule or legislation governing what they get to do with it when I return it?

I suppose i can cancel my accounts and start again with new email address, but I have specific cloud accounts and so on where some of my work lives, and it's going to be a PROPER ball-ache to get rid and start from scratch...

Any advice?

Frankly there is nothing worth doing about this.

You don't need top open new accounts. Just change the passwords and the tablet won't be able to access them if it ever starts up again.

I don't see where "reasonable time" begins from 25th Dec.

It begins from the time that you started to use it.

The seller may even try to say that it begins from the time you bought it - but I would object to that.

I dont know enough about "synching" technologies.

If I simply change my Google account password, (which is the main over-riding control account for all the "apps" and stuff across all the products), will any synched items then not synch unless I enter the new password on them?

Is that how it works?

If so, no probs.

Thanks

I started to use it on 25th December, it was a Christmas Present.

They could argue that it started from the day it was bought, but I checked this on one of the other threads and apparently if you can show, legitimately, why it was bought in advance of its anticipated first use date, you are pretty much covered. It was bought during their "Christmas" promotion, so I'm pretty sure that if they declined to replace it, and I had to take it further, that establishing it as a Christmas Present, and setting the reasonable time as starting at that point wont be too hard.

I could always pull out the photo of me sitting in my dressing gown going "Oooh!" as I remove it from the wrapping paper, but I doubt it would be needed...

Frankly there is nothing worth doing about this.

You don't need top open new accounts. Just change the passwords and the tablet won't be able to access them if it ever starts up again.

Maybe an issue with email address or if you have inputted any other personal details like address, Date of Birth, etc. ID theft springs to mind.