MBNA debt - have received hand delivered Statutory Demand today

debtangel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I had a credit card with MBNA but stopped making payments in September 2007 when I was made redundant. Not long after I had an accident and have been unable to work since.

I have today had a bailiff round handing me a Statutory Demand from BW Legal Solicitors on behalf of Lowell. The letter states that Lowell bought the debt from MBNA which I was unaware of. It states the Default date of 30 January 2010, I do not recall receiving this.

The debt on the Demand is £1XXX, however I seem to remember the original debt was around £1300.

I own my own home which has equity in it. I also owe other credit card companies, who I have not paid since 2007.

I am on benefits due to my ill health and currently have 56 pence in the bank.

Have no idea what to do. Please help.

Edited by 42man
amount changed

You have 18 days from when you received the stat demand to set it aside.....was there any PPI on the alleged debt ? Have you sent off for a copy of your CCA request ? If you type in bwlegal or lowells in these forums then you will find plenty of other threads from people who have been in similar situations to yourself.....you will need forms 6.4 (set aside) and 6.5 (witness statement) which you can find here - http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/about-us/forms/england-and-wales

A SAR to the original creditor might be a good idea too....

A CCA request is a request for a copy or reconstruct of the agreement.

It will cost you £1.00, they have 12 working days plus 2 to respond to your request.

You should receive,

a copy or a truthful reconstruct of the agreement

A statement of account

A copy of the terms and conditions from both inception and at default or current.

There is a draft letter in the CAG library, top left of the screen, highlighted in Green.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I found some paperwork. I wrote to MBNA in 2009 and asked for a copy of my credit agreement and lodged my dispute with them, but they didn't reply. Although on my letter I didn't put the legal jargon and didn't enclose a fee for it.

I will write and ask for it again, thanks.