faulty hdd within 12 months

scudybeef
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,just wondering if anyone could give me a little advice on behalf of a friend.

he bought a toshiba laptop around 8 months ago and the hdd is starting to fail,when switched on,it takes a long time to load up,when it does get to the home screen,it comes up with a message stating "Windows detected a hard disk problem",it gives 2 options,"start the backup process", or,"Ask me again later".

fortunately,there is nothing he is concerned about losing on the hdd,as it is all on an external hdd,,so my question is this---can he go to the pcworld store where he bought it and expect a free repair and probable replacement if faulty?

i've had personal experience with pcworld with products still under 12 months warranty,none of it good,so he will have to go to the store without me,as i will shout at the top of my voice if i get the usual reaction of 'oh,its not down to us,you have to contact the manufacturer yourself',yada yada yada and so on,which quite frankly is b***s***.

so if i can tell him that he is entitled to free repair(with rights on his side)he can go to the store and leave it in the capable(lol) hands of pcworld.

sorry for the little rant,but i have absolutely no time,or respect for pcworld or their staff,i did warn him about buying from them,but he made his own choice!

thx for any help offered on this subject.

• 1 month later...

If it's within 12 months old he should return it but make sure you have made a recovery disc as they will tell you they cannot go any further with the warranty repair if you don't have it - see my thread.

if its a faulty hard drive then he wont need the disks the workshop will re-install the operating system

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

quick update,due to the disgraceful and inept people at pcworld,he decided it would be far less hassle for me to go and buy him a HDD from an independent retailer and install it,ive reinstalled windows 7 using my own disk (with his product key),everything seems to be running fine,,i did warn him not to go to pcworld in the first place,but you live and learn,plus he's happy enough to have a fully working laptop,,thx for the replies.

Did he actually take it to them to report the fault or phone their repair line to report the issue? If the hard drive was faulty then he'd have gotten a free repair of course. Did you run a hard drive test? Was it faulty or did windows just need reinstalling? I think he bought a hard drive for no reason if you ask me, possibly due to your previous experiences.

I don't understand?

Taking a product under warranty in to a store has never been easier, the guys there can book the repair through the till system now and it takes approximately 2 minutes.

Repair timescales a few months ago were 7 days pickup to return, I assume that hasn't changed much if at all. It sounds a lot to me as if your friend has wasted his money.