Another Carter - Court Action

G&J
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3983 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI

Diddn't realise he had his own forum...

Ok, my partner has had a credit card with Cap 1 for some years. She lost her job when Focus went bang but found another job a few months after.

Due to finances she contacted Cap 1 (by phone) some 3 yrs ago to arange a payment plan of £5.00 per month after sending them all our financial breakdown papers Etc.

She has not missed any monthly payments and she has nothing in writing about the agreement but they have happily accepted the £5 each month.

On the 17 Dec she gets a letter from this company saying she had not paid the debt off and should do so now. I told here it was probably scare tactics at Christmas time. So she did not write to them.

Yesterday she recieved a second letter stating court action. Cap 1 have not contacted her once, so how it's come to this I don't know.

I have a nasty feeling I am going to receive the same as my situation is the same with Cap 1.

I note they have inserted an incorrect date (31/12/1899) lol

It make reference to the Law Of Property Act, I presume this means they assume they can use the house as collateral???

Thing is the house is in MY name only (she moved in with me 4yrs ago) but if they start the same with me then I suppose they could.

Anyway... Both of us are worried and not sure of the best way forward.

I will try to attach the letters (as PDF)

She has just received from Northampton Court (Bulk Centre) a claim form, response pack and defence & counter claim.

Is she done for or is there any way to stop this?

Thanks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, The Law of property act probably relates to the ''ownership of the debt,and infact it does.

Carters last letter is nonsense it appears to state that Cap1 assigned the debt to themselves in 1899, which is complete nonsense.

Carter is well known for issuing claims and backing down as soon as anyone mentions a defence.

Can you redact a copy of the Particulars of Claim please remove names and account numbers and the claim number, leave the POC.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Brig can you remove the claim number.

Not workin I'' ll unapprove please repost with Cn removed

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

So sorry, thanks for hitting on that....

Try again

Removed password which had still been left on document.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40925[/ATTACH]

Edited by citizenB

Ok, date of issue 17th January. This is your timeline

17 Jan + 5 days for service = 23 Jan + 14 days to acknowledge = 6 February - If you are defending then you get an extra 14 days which will be 20th February.

You need to get a CPR31.14 request off to BC immediately.

It would appear that you can only ask for a copy of the agreement, as usual, Carter's PoC is so ambiguous and negative he should have just sumbitted a blank page.

Ok a few questions.

Did Capone ever issue a Default Notice ? Do you have this ?

Can you prove the payments have been made each month as advised in your first post - If so, then you need to get all the statements/receipts together in one place.

His claim is that you have not maintained the payment instalments - however you have.

Even though Capone have not confirmed this in writing they have accepted the £5.00 for 2 years after receiving your I&E and letter making the offer. I am assuming that no other contact was made by Capone.

Did they cease adding charges and interest ? At what point did they cease sending you statements ?

Can you answer the questions above and I will go and find a CPR request for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hmm, so they assigned the account to themselves in 1899 did they ? Bliddy brilliant dont you think.

Will also alert andyorch for more advice :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

BTW, if the property is in your name only, then they will be unable to obtain a charging order for a debt in your wife/partners name.. oh dear :)

Why do you suppose they will issue a claim against you as well ? If the debt is solely in her name, you dont even come into the equasion ?

BCOBS

Hi

Because I'm in the same boat.... Paying Cap 1 £5 per month and they just sold my account to CapQuest Investments Limited, so I expect some action from them. (good for my PPI claim though)

The date made me laught BUT can it still be upheld in court?

She (partner) remembered she missed a payment in March 2012 but made in excess of double in April. No letters were sent bu Cap 1. (dont know if that makes a difference)

We are running low on time with this so could really do with a guiding hand.

Thanks

G

Hi G&J

Ok as per CB,s post above#7 make sure you acknowledge on time and defend in full...this will then allow the 28 days to finalise your defence.

In the meantime request a copy of the agreement this is done using a section 78 request to Cap 1(Letter N in the templates lib) send recorded delivery and print your name on the request.

CPR 31.14 to Muppets Incorporated ( again recorded delivery print name) They will respnd saying that this request is not applicable to SCT but ignore that you have it on recorded that they have not complied.

They will also offer an extension...disregard this also and submit a defence as soon as possible.

You should then receive a letter that there is a change in Solicitor...Muppets Incorporated head for the hills.

Then wait and see if they respond to the defence.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Can you please answer all my questions in post # 7

Are there any charges, did capone continue to add them and interest ?

I cant see missing one payment which was then made up will make a difference especially as they did not write to you when t his happened almost 12 months ago !

BCOBS

Ok, this is your CPR31.14 request - you need to send it to BC, recorded delivery at the least.

Dear Sir,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) county courtlink3.gif.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

[Prior to the issue of proceedings I had delivered a request for the production of the agreement mentioned in the Claim Form and on which you rely. That request was ignored][delete if no such request was delivered]

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 - the agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 - Statement of account showing how the sum being claimed is made up.

Although your claim is for a sum which is not more than £5,000.00 and will in all likelihood be allocated to the small claims track for determination upon my delivering a defence, at this moment in time I have not delivered my defence and the case has not been allocated to a track. In consequence the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CPR 31 duties by claiming otherwise.

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours faithfully

BCOBS

Hi and thanks for all your time.... I missed completely post #7... I will hand you over the 'J' part of this partnership.... in other words... she is now typing ;)

Cap one did issue a default notice, however this was before the monthly payment arrangement was set up and agreed upon verbally but I can't find the record. . sorry

I can prove that all payments have been made by my monthly bank statements wil now gather them together

You are correct in assuming that no other contact has been made by cap one

I am not sure if they have stopped adding charges and interest as I have not received any staements for 2-3 years.

Great thanks for that. It is a pity you havent got the default notice.

I included statement of account in the draft CPR request, but you might want to amend point 2 as below.

2 - Statement of account showing how the sum being claimed is made up, to include any interest and charges applied.

Do you have any statements at all from Capone.. the last one prior to your entering into the installment plan would be good!

BCOBS

Hi, Thanks guys,

Yes she has copies of her statements.

I'm just editing the CPR31.14 request and need to ask is the following something I need to edit in the [..]?

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

If so, whith what?

Also do we need to send a CCA or is the above enough? And, we just send the "Acknowledgment of Service" to the court? Will this mean she has to attend?

Sorry... so many questions.

Edited by G&J

You must also send the section 78 request...this is an independent legal request and must be complied with otherwise they are in default and will struggle to enforce.....unlike the CPR request.

If they do not respond to your sec 78 request that can be used in your defence so don't prepare a defence until 12+2 days.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi

I have sent as in post #13 (amended) to Carter's (recorded)

I have sent the section 78 request (same but from another site as I already had that edidted) to Capital 1 (recorded)

And, I have sent the acknowledgement of service to Northampton Court (recorded)

Have I missed anything?

Thanks

Why did you not AoS on line MCOL?

On your summons is a password and if you register with the Government Gateway you can Acknowledge Service and submit a Defence on line using MCOL (Money Claim On-line).Saves postage and is very secure.

Nope, sounds like you hvae it all covered - why did you post the Ackowledgment - you could have acknowledged online ?

BCOBS