style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2461 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My father let out his house through an agency to what has turned out to be the tenant from hell. After 12 months of non payment of rent (the agent did nothing unless pushed by us) we have finally managed to get the house back but had to change the locks. A cleaning firm has been in and cleaned the place at a cost of £300. The carpets are ruined the front door will need replaced die to , it looks like, it having been kicked in or forcibly entered at some point. There was evidence of crack cocaine and general drug use found by the cleaner and us. A prepayment meter was added by British Gas as the tenant ran up arrears of £1000+.

Question - how easy is it to get the meter removed

Question - do we have any recourse with the agent ie can we sue him? He operates undet the banner of a local estate agent but after some digging it seems he is nothing to do with them although the Estate

Agents website clearly states

"For lettings and property rentals please contact our associated company and advisors "xxxxxxxxx" on xxxxxxxx. xxxxxxxxxxLettings are a premier lettings agent and property rental agent in xxxxxxxx. Despite being a separate company, they conveniently operate from the same building as ourselves "

They say they are a separate company but also say they are their associated company

Can anyone help us please?

tx

Sounds grim. I can't help with suing the agent.

With regard to the meter, if you have not already done so you should contact the gas supplier and explain that the tenant has gone and you are now taking over the bills. It is likely that the meter is set to deduct any money added on to pay the debt incurred by the tenant. They may want "proof" that the tenant has gone before they will agree either to remove or reset the meter.

In a case where my tenants left the electric meter with debt on it, I had to be in attendance when they reset the meter. Then they were very reluctant to repay the money I'd put in (till they'd listened to a recording of a 45 minute phone call I had had with them where they had agreed to do so).

Some tenants prefer key/card meters even if they are more expensive. Some landlords also prefer them as it reduces the risk of what you have experienced with regard to the debt.

what was the contract with the agent? did they check tenant out, credit/references etc. was it a manage contract?

you may be able to sue agent for neglegence and/or non-performance of his duties under the contract.

did you get rent back? why twelve months, you could of serrved s8 after two months behind to get house back!

If they are a member of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) you may also have a way of complaining/getting your money back...