Housing benefit overpayment nearly 3k,my own stupid fault.What will happen?

jojoskia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I know it sounds bit odd but only yesterday I realized that I was probably overpaid housing benefit by around 10 months. I went to turn2us website and used calculator to calculate my benefit entitlements and all answers where ok,apart hb,it says i only should receive around £7 a week . I changed house in February and started working in march,I remember posting them information about my new job,but do not have proof and actually never received any paperwork back, They started paying me £189 month and taking away £40 for previous overpayment (£880).I think I owe them around £2800(10x189+900) I cant believe how stupid I was not to realize this earlier,it seemed to be good to be truth . This is doing my head in,been crying all the time since yesterday,I cant care after my 2 month old baby properly,because on my mind I have only one thing- what will happen to me?will they prosecute me?I'm going to council tomorrow,with all the paperwork and try to assure them that I'll pay every penny back.

oh god,I feel so stupid,that I could let this happen and it possibly will ruin my future plans ( training to become a nurse),if I get criminal record or caution :(

any advise is welcome

p.s sorry for writing mistakes,english is not my primary language

Edited by jojoskia

It's horrible when that realisation happens isn't it. I didn't know a benefit calculator existed until I came on here, then you just go to bits don't you!

But the fact you are going down there to notify THEM of a problem is not usually the actions of a fraudster, so I wouldn't go panicking. 3k is a lot but in the grand scheme of things, to them it's actually not.

you are doing the right thing by going in and telling them - it will stop the overpayment getting any bigger - and may reduce risk of further action being taken against you

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.