Jump to content

caring guy

P46 tax problem over £600 owed to HMRC

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2459 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

When i took a job working for the council i stopped working for the agency on a Friday and started working for the county on the Monday. The agency work was at the same place i was offered a job for the council.


The new job was 4 days a week so i remained registered for work with the agency in order to try and get work one day a week. The chance of getting work was unlikley and i never worked for the agency again even though i remained registered, as i am now.


When i filled out a P46 for the council i ticked box B "this is now my only job since 6 April i have had another job........"


I did not get a P45 from the agency as i remained regsitered for work.


I did not tick box C as i did not consider myself to have another job.


I then received a letter in Nov last year saying i owed over £600 in tax. This is because HMRC have given me two sets of tax allowance (one at the agency and one at the council). They (HMRC) say they did this as i ticked box B on the P46.


I am currently wrting to appeal this decision. Any ideas as to what i can write?


Thanks for any help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello there.


This sounds better suited to the HMRC forum, but I'll leave your thread here for a little while and see if anyone knows.


My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

From an employment law perspective only, it's counted as two separate assignments - one through the agency with "worker" status, and one direct with the council with "employee" status.


Have you got payslips from both and details of both tax codes?


Technically I would imagine for tax purposes it would also be classed as two separate jobs, but I'm not a tax expert so I'm not sure how you could owe so much additional tax if the jobs didn't overlap (unless the wrong tax code was used) but I'm sure someone knowledgeable on tax issues will be able to assist!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...