ninao

Cheeky Ford dealer wants more money

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2452 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello,

My ford car was working ok and had just passed its MOT but one evening in mid-december it just refused to start. The AA got my car to work by tapping something in the bonnet. So I drove my car to a Ford dealership so that they could use their diagnostic machine to figure out what had happened and prevent a recurrence. I got a call a few days later detailing what the issue was and I was given a quote of £812 to fix the problem.

I didn't have much money but I needed the car in good working order especially for the winter. I was told the car would be ready for me to pick up last week. When I called to arrange a pickup time, I was told that the car wasn't working after they carried out the fix and that it is something else that's wrong with the car and not the initial thing they mentioned. So they asked that my new cost will be £1600.

I can't imagine that I'll need to pay for their mistake. They want me to either pick my car up even though it wont start and pay £812 for the repair that didnt work or pay £1600 for them to try and fix it (with no guarantees). That doesn't make sense to me since they never mentioned that they were going to carry out trial and error. They specifically told me that their diagnostic machine will find the issue and they quoted me £812 to fix it. Am I legally obliged to pay £812 even though they haven't got my car in working condition?

I'm happy to pay for the tests they carried out but not for a fix that didnt work. I have called them almost everyday since and the mechanics seem to understand but their manager is sticking to the fact that I have to pay the money to pick up my broken car. How do I even know that anything was done when its in the same condition as when I dropped it off. What options do I have here?

I'll appreciate any advice I can get on this. Thanks.

Edited by citizenB

i would be asking for a written copy of the work that they say they have carried out also for recipts for any parts they have bought and replaced

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

you should also demand a copy of the diagnostic test that they say they performed

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

Dealer must be desperate! Clearly they are in wrong under SOGA.

This is another example of SOGA being unclear. You are right and so are they.

The garage is entitled to charge for reasonable time diagnosing the problem and fixing it as they deem fit. However you would not be entitled not to pay for this if the fix did not work. So in this case where the fix has not worked,you should ask them to remove the parts fitted which did not work at their expense and re-fit the originals. This ought to be carried out at their expense as they got the diagnosis wrong. The fitting of the part you need to cover as it could be argued that this is all part and parcel of the original diagnosis.

Computer diagnostics are not all they are cracked up to be and it depends on the skills and experience of the operator to a greater extent.

Perhaps you could explain in more detail what the original problem was as this might give a bit more insight as to whether or not the charges are fair.

if you have a laptop you should buy this piece of software called Fordiag.

link:-http://www.talkford.com/topic/198261-fordiag-current-status/

a lot of people recommend this software for diagnosing your car, have a good read of the thread, i have just ordered one myself, the guy who made it is called tomas and knows his stuff.

i am not sure what age of car it covers ( newer models)

it costs about 92.00 all together but the software covers a wide range of diagnostics and error codes and a lot cheaper than taking it to a ford garage.

it is something for you to think about and you can use it time and time again.

Tis no good if you don't know what you are looking at.

Is it possible that you speak with the AA man and ascertain what he did to make your car work again?

Perhaps this is yet another example where a MOTOR MECHANIC could have diagnosed the fault and rectified it first time. This computer diagnostic carry on is a very poor substitute for an EXPERIENCED MECHANIC!

Your story dosen't say much for a main Ford dealer. Name and shame???????

Thanks guys.

The main thing here is that I drove my car into the garage. I never told them what the problem was. The dealership diagnosed the problem and charged me £812 to fix the problem. On the day of pickup, they asked me to pay £1600 because the initial diagnosis did not work. I agreed to the £812 fix but if they had told me £1600 initially, I wouldn't have agreed to the fix because the car cost me only £1000. I would have scrapped it instead. Now I've asked them to remove whatever they put in initially and I'll pay for the job of diagnosing but not for the fix that didnt work. But they said I need to pay the full £812 to pick up the car and that the car doesnt even work anymore. Why would I do that?

It is possible that you speak with the AA man and see what he has done to your car back to work?

Perhaps this is another example where a technician would have diagnosed the failure and turn right first time. Computer diagnostic run on a very poor substitute for an experienced technician!

Your story does not say much for a main Ford dealer.