Debt Collectors Do Have a Heart (or an ulterior motive)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello all,

I've just had a rather surprisingly nice phone conversation with a lady from Lowells and thought I would share it all with you as they are rare nowadays.

I have a Shop Direct debt that is now with Lowells and have not been able to make any payments since Nov as I have no income. Lowells do know this and today I answered the phone and it was Lowells. 'Here we go again' I thought but the lady was really nice asking if my circumstances had changed and I told her no and I had now been signed off with depression (which i'd suffered badly with over the last few years) and she said that they didn't want to cause me any more distress (I think that's the word she used) so if I could send in a DR sick note than they would put my account on hold until i'm in a position to make payments. I asked her if the threatening letters from Hamptons legal would stop and she said 'yes, thats us, they'll stop as well'

I'm quite happy to email them a copy of my sicknote.

I thought I would share this as it is rare to get a debt collector that has a heart, unless there's an ulterior motive? (which I haven't figured out what that could be yet)

Lisa x

Pinklisar

:p:razz:

Before you email them private info to which they dont have a right to see, you want to get what they said in writing. If you dont, then the conversation is worthless. Lowells are well known for doing "shady" things.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Before you email them private info to which they dont have a right to see, you want to get what they said in writing. If you dont, then the conversation is worthless. Lowells are well known for doing "shady" things.

AS SAID = FOREWARNED IS FOREARMED, get it in writing only!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

The absolute easiest way to deal with them is as foillows.

1. Make sure that they actually own the debt and arent simply working on behalf of a creditor. If the latter is happening, tell them to bugger off.

2. Check your CRA file and see if the debt is actually listed on there. Lowells are VERY well known for chasing unenforceable and statute barred debts.

3. If they own the debt AND it's enforceable, then sit down, take a few hours and complete a full and comprehensive income and expenditure form for your own records. Now work out a simple budget summary for your creditors.

4. Sign the summary as a declaration of fact. Send it to the owner and TELL them ( dont ask) that due to your circumstances, then what is on the summary is all they are getting until such as time as your financial situation changes.

The absolute most important thing to do though, is to make sure the debt exists, it's enforceable and the DCA actually has the right to chase payment.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Nope. But it is advisable to send them a simplified budget summary which is what i stated.

then sit down, take a few hours and complete a full and comprehensive income and expenditure form for your own records. Now work out a simple budget summary for your creditors.

While technically they have no right to see such documents, it is still a good idea to send a summary as proof of what you are saying. That way, if they choose to ignore your proof, and try court action, they would be very foolish to continue, as they would be in violation of Oft guidance on debt collection and the terms of their licence.

Hmmm, I wonder if Lowells is aware that they are under scrutiny of the OFT. I received an unexpected letter from them yesterday in reply to a letter that I sent them over a week ago and rather than use their usual tactic of ignoring everything and replying with a load of hog wash, it was a polite letter acknowledging receipt of my letter, advising that my "complaints" were being looked into and all debt collecting activity will cease while they investigate (wonder if that includes serving me with a bankruptcy petition!).

Not finished with them yet. Appears that they withheld a document that was in their possession that was relevant to a resent court hearing that strangely turned up in the post the day after the hearing. I'm just waiting for the OC to confirm the date that they sent the documents to Lowells so I have some evidence to support what I suspect to use in my defence and as part of my complaint to the OFT.

Yes I put a SAR request to Lowell for all the information they had on me. There was a gap in the information which covered the assignment period and the period which the alleged debt was being passed to various trading styles. Either Lowell never had the information I had been requesting or the information was deleted because it was not favourable. However, I am a bit suspicious of the OFT as they said the same to me over a period of three years. I struggled to get any information out of Lowell for the whole 3 years. Needless to say my persistence was rewarded. I did not owe the money and the Judge agreed that Lowell had not proved that the assignment was lawful. I agree with all the above that you should have got it in writing as they will probably just pass it on and start again. Thy did with me.