Council Liability Order

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm a bit behind with my council tax and they've sent a summons. They have cancelled my weekly payment arrangement although I am technically up to date with them with regards to amount paid so far but they say I have lost the "right" to pay by instalments through being late with payments. Apparently they will get a Liability Order which as I understand it is just a rubber stamp affair so that they can chase me for the money. The pleasant lady at the council says it's not like a CCJ and isn't recorded publicly. My worry is that as my wife works for a bank they may find out about it somewhere and she will be sacked. Am I worrying too much do you think?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hello. Thanks for that link. My wife has been on long term sick for three years but is still technically employed by the bank, although the half pay she gets is via an insurance policy. My worry was that somewhere along the line, when they do their checks on staff, they would come across this. In these modern times where all sorts of information is available, you don't know just who can see what!

I'm a bit behind with my council tax and they've sent a summons. They have cancelled my weekly payment arrangement although I am technically up to date with them with regards to amount paid so far but they say I have lost the "right" to pay by instalments through being late with payments. Apparently they will get a Liability Order which as I understand it is just a rubber stamp affair so that they can chase me for the money. The pleasant lady at the council says it's not like a CCJ and isn't recorded publicly. My worry is that as my wife works for a bank they may find out about it somewhere and she will be sacked. Am I worrying too much do you think?

'If your local authority issues you with three reminders for late payment of instalments within the same financial year, you will also lose the right to pay by instalments. A full year's council tax becomes payable when the third reminder is issued. However, in practice, your local authority may continue to accept payment by instalments, as long as they are paid on time.' citizens advice site

some brief info www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/d_council_tax_arrears.pdf

employer may find out, depending on how they enforce if a liability order eg re deductions from wages. see gov't link also above. q then would be whether having an order would be justification for a sacking?

Edited by Ford

Thanks for the Advice Guide link. They have agreed to let me keep to instalments up until the end of the financial year although they are still going to get the liability order apparently. I suppose this just gives them the further options that are available to them, should I not pay up.