ibrahimo

JSA - Are work courses mandatory or not?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2461 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I found myself in the unfortunate position of having to close my business last year and was unable to find work quickly and had to claim JSA at the end of November.

It has been just under two months since I started signing on.

The first meeting I had with my advisor he tried to send me on one of those programmes which teach you how to put a computer on and how to write a cv. I told him that having ran my own IT repair business for a couple of years and previously managed a restaurant before some extended time off that I was fairly confident that I had the skills that they would teach me and that it was a waste of time so he backed down.

Christmas comes and goes. Its very hard to find a job at Christmas because very few places are actually going through the recruitment and new recruit training programmes at that time of year.

Last week I had my second meeting with him. He told me that I had to go on a course because I haven't been employed by a company for a number of years due to being self employed. He told me about a call centre training course and I again re-iterated that I was fine doing my own job search and that this would be a waste of my time. It's a two week course! He again told me that I HAD to be put on a course so not wanting to receive sanctions I accepted.

Yesterday I went to the interview with the course and the lady told everyone that was there that it wasn't a mandatory course and that we didn't have to attend if we didn't want to. She also told us that we could leave at that point if we felt it wasn't for us.

I did stay for the duration. I didn't want to open myself up to sanctions. I most definitely don't want to go on this course but I will if I must.

I am very confused though. I feel that my advisor is giving me false information by telling me that I must attend a course of some sort. I feel that it is a gigantic waste of my time and my time is better spent doing my own job search.

I am a very strong willed person. I will not be bullied by the people in the job centre. I have refused to sign up to their universal job match programme despite them trying to put pressure on me to do that threatning me with sanctions and so forth. I do however need to be armed with the correct information for when I attend on Monday to discuss how the course interview went.

I would appreciate some advise on this thanks a lot :)

Mark

Edited by ibrahimo

JCP Staff can give Job Seekers Directions to the unemployed....and, if some clerk wants to send a candidate on a course which is redundant, then the best option is to negotiate your way out of it. This cannot be done for the Work Programme, but may be plausible for other courses.

These so called "courses" are only there to transfer money from the taxpayer to one of these well known contractors, on which board of directors you will see the politicians that will not be re-elected at the next general elections.

It is a [problem] on a massive scale and if the national press wasn't corrupt as it is, this should be on the front page every day.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

I would seek out a course for your own needs, I've just done NVQ Level 2 Customer Services and prior to that did Ethnicity and Diversity, plenty of free courses around - and you can do most online without having to physically go to a college.

I'm considering IT but most of the courses are very basic but would at least prove I know what I know and look as if I am trying.

I've applied for 100s of jobs but at 55 I get told 'you probably don't have good computer skills....' which I can easily DISPROVE, at least with recent qualifications I can prove that categorically!

I've applied for 100s of jobs but at 55 I get told 'you probably don't have good computer skills....' which I can easily DISPROVE, at least with recent qualifications I can prove that categorically!

How insulting! Many people your age and older use a computer a lot.

I know it is insulting, but that is what I have been told!

I remind them I was around BEFORE computers came into the office and therefore have a lot of changeover skill experience, training experience and know my way around DOS (did you know you can seriously screw up a Windows 7 PC by putting a bit of DOS code in when it starts up? ) I've also done quite a bit of 'official hacking' where I've been paid to find out flaws in peoples networks and systems.