Sofaitalia premature wearing of leather sofa

Bobbybland
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Morning

This is my first post so please bear with me.

Basicaly we purchased a three seater and a two seater sofa and foot stool from Sofaitalia an online company that was in process of opening a store in Stockton on tees we orderd from the store and took delivery end March 2010.

the 2 seater sofa cost £950 . We also purchased a staingard cover for £240. The suite wasnt used between April 2011 and Dec 11 due to house move . We noticed about three weeks ago that one of the back cushions at the head neck height the colour has faded right to base leather ( sold as full grain semi aniline) we contacted staingard who inspected and informed no action as its wear and tear and colour fade is not covered . I contacted Sofaitalia who agree with Staingard.

However I do not believe under the SOGA that a sofa of this quality and price should only last less than three years with light domestic use there are only three of us in the family . We are far from happy

I'm sending Sofaitalia a letter quoting SOGA and my precieved rights as a consumer .

Can anyone help point me in the right direction of what we can expect or even if i may be expecting too much in that I would idealy like the sofa replacing at the very least a good repair.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated

I don't think that you will get anywhere without at least one independent expert report which supports your position

I've just been having a read and it would seem that Staingard is offered to the retailer not the customer so any complaint would be with the retailer.

I also can't see anything about protection from fade/wear and tear, just spills and accidents.

You would need to look at the product warranty to see what was offered to you at the time of sale and if there were any 'guarantees' against colour fade/wear

Thanks for the replys people.

I understand the reasons why Staingard would not repair under the wear and tear reason. My problem is that If I had known that the sofas would only last under three years light domestic use I wouldnt have bought them I could have bought three cheaper ones that last the same time and kept two in the garage till one faded at least I would have approx nine years rather than 34 months old which includes 6 months in storage so in essence 28 months.

I thought that under SOGA goods had to last a certain time a reasonable person would expect . I thought i would have a good case as the suite was expensive and soposedly high quality in fact it is still on the website with a sopposedly RRP of £2299.

I have no problem getting an independant person to assses it on the understanding that Sofaitalia would pay the bill if found in my favour.

I'll have to wait till my wife gets in to locate original reciept.

Edited by Conniff

Certainly SOGA says that if it is within six years, (5 in Scotland), and it would be reasonable to expect the goods to last for the time you expect, then you are 'entitled' to a repair or replacement or a partial refund.

Although it says 'entitled', that is always harder to enforce than would appear.

Had an email from Soafitalia this evening stating they will not repair , replace , refund and they are very aware of the SOGA .

So iam going to post a letter recorded delivery to them next week . Any advice for the way forward greatly appreciated tone of letters wording etc . I feel very aggreived at their attitude of point blank indifference.

Had an email from Soafitalia this evening stating they will not repair , replace , refund and they are very aware of the SOGA .

So iam going to post a letter recorded delivery to them next week . Any advice for the way forward greatly appreciated tone of letters wording etc . I feel very aggreived at their attitude of point blank indifference.

There was a case on another forum (different retailer) where the customer took them to court and won. Before taking them to court they obtained an independent report into the damage to the Sofas and using it they sent the retailer a letter before action. As the retailer still refused to accept, they issued a court claim for the full replacement cost of the Sofas. In their case the Judge actually visited their home with a representative for the retailer and the Judge decided in the customers favour. In their case, it was found that the leather was not 100% genuine and the fabric would not have lasted very long.

Most of these leather Sofas with Italian sounding names are actually made very cheaply in China and the quality of materials can be very poor.

http://www.thefurnitureombudsman.org/how-tfo-can-help-you/independent-inspection-service/smart-report

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 years later...
Good Morning

This is my first post so please bear with me.

Basicaly we purchased a three seater and a two seater sofa and foot stool from Sofaitalia an online company that was in process of opening a store in Stockton on tees we orderd from the store and took delivery end March 2010.

the 2 seater sofa cost £950 . We also purchased a staingard cover for £240. The suite wasnt used between April 2011 and Dec 11 due to house move . We noticed about three weeks ago that one of the back cushions at the head neck height the colour has faded right to base leather ( sold as full grain semi aniline) we contacted staingard who inspected and informed no action as its wear and tear and colour fade is not covered . I contacted Sofaitalia who agree with Staingard.

However I do not believe under the SOGA that a sofa of this quality and price should only last less than three years with light domestic use there are only three of us in the family . We are far from happy

I'm sending Sofaitalia a letter quoting SOGA and my precieved rights as a consumer .

Can anyone help point me in the right direction of what we can expect or even if i may be expecting too much in that I would idealy like the sofa replacing at the very least a good repair.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated

Hi, what was the eventual outcome! I am in the process of buying from SofaItalia so any info would be helpful, cheers Steve.

thread is 3yrs old and the op has never returned

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx100uk, yes i am aware this is three years old but thought atleast the situation would be resolved by now! Hoped someone might shine some light, i would have assumed the original poster would have had the decency to give people the ending to his sofaopera, i would have just stained it to look the same! Cheers for your help Steve nr294jn.