wellingtonboots

Fine for six months of unlicensed vehicle

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2462 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I moved house in June amidst a huge of amount of trouble regarding divorce and a bitter custody battle for the kids. Unfortunately in the midst of all of this my tax renewal was posted to my ex-wife's house and she promptly threw it in the bin without telling me.

I stupidly continue to drive around my car without ever checking the tax disc, I thought it was for renewal in March 2013 when it really ran out in July 2012. I got a police warning yesterday telling me that they have submitted a report to the DVLA and the maximum penalty is 5x the annual tax which for my car amounts to about £1200.

I am currently in financial crisis after all the legal proceedings that have finished and few that are still going on. I would really like some advice on how much I might be fined (is it definitely the full amount?) so I can get an overdraft from the bank.

At some time in the near future you will probably get a summons to Court. You are best to go and say what you said here. It is unlikely that you would be fined 5x the annual tax for a first offence.

At Court you will probably be asked to complete and income and expenditure sheet from which they will impose a fine and will if asked, stagger those payments over time.