style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2495 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Everyone.

Was just wondering if i could ask a few questions?

Last week i got caught using my girlfriends freedom pass on the tube. The man (accompanied by a police officer) stopped me as i was coming out of a station. He took the freedom pass off me along with my details & said i would recieve a letter in the next 4-6 weeks stating what the next steps would be.

I was very appologetic & honest. I explained that i had just got a temp job in london for a week but because i had been out of work for a while & i didn't have any money, that i couldn't afford to get their. so whenever my girlfriend didnt take her pass with her to work, i took it (without her knowing). I think i used it 5 times in all but thats the only time ive ever used it & ive never been in any trouble with any law before in my life.

Ive read a few threads on here where people have said they've had to go to court.

Does anyone know what % of these cases go to court?

Also, i would like to send a letter explaining my actions before i recieve a letter from them. I would like to explain that its not that didnt want to pay my fare, its that i physically couldn't & i did something stupid out of desperation. I would also tell them that once i get paid for the temp work ive done that i would like to pay for the fares i avoided & any additional fees they seem approprate.

Does anyone know where i can send my letter too? I cant seem to find an address?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by markusv1

opps could be difficult

you have admitted multiple fraudulant use of someone elses card.

this could get sticky for you.

as for the letter, await theirs first

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Hi Everyone.

Was just wondering if i could ask a few questions?

Last week i got caught using my girlfriends freedom pass on the tube. The man (accompanied by a police officer) stopped me as i was coming out of a station. He took the freedom pass off me along with my details & said i would recieve a letter in the next 4-6 weeks stating what the next steps would be.

I was very appologetic & honest. I explained that i had just got a temp job in london for a week but because i had been out of work for a while & i didn't have any money, that i couldn't afford to get their. so whenever my girlfriend didnt take her pass with her to work, i took it (without her knowing). I think i used it 5 times in all but thats the only time ive ever used it & ive never been in any trouble with any law before in my life.

Ive read a few threads on here where people have said they've had to go to court.

Does anyone know what % of these cases go to court?

Also, i would like to send a letter explaining my actions before i recieve a letter from them. I would like to explain that its not that didnt want to pay my fare, its that i physically couldn't & i did something stupid out of desperation. I would also tell them that once i get paid for the temp work ive done that i would like to pay for the fares i avoided & any additional fees they seem approprate.

Does anyone know where i can send my letter too? I cant seem to find an address?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

From responses on CAG it appears most Freedom Pass abuse cases detected go to court, TfL take abuse of these passes seriously, as they are:

a) funded from the public purse, and

b) offered to some of the most disadvantaged.

Again, summarising previous responses, I've seen reasons why its not a good idea to write before you've received a letter from them:

i) if they have mislaid the paperwork you'll be "handing them the info on a plate",

ii) if you wait for a letter you'll have a reference number : without this they may have your letter and nothing to link it to / file it with,

iii) you won't know the details of what you are being accused of, and under which statute or Bylaw.

They are unlikely to be moved by "I couldn't afford to pay to travel". That might be seen by a court as mitigation, but not a defence.

You can try and persuade them to persue an alternative to court, but I fear you'll likely not succeed : no harm in trying, though.

Thanks for the info BazzaS. So you recommend trying persuade them to persue an alternative to court, but not until i recieve their letter 1st?

That is all you can try and do, negotiate with them when you receive a letter.

Realistically though, I don't think anybody (on this and other forums) has managed to get an out of court settlement arranged for intentional abuse of a freedom pass.

TfL are not particularly interested in making money from these prosecutions. They have every intention to prosecute where sufficient evidence exists. They will get their costs and compensation anyway as part of the conviction process.

Section 5(3a) - Regulation of Railways Act 1889 is likely to be the listed offence as you deliberately intended to avoid paying the correct fare, by using a ticket you had effectively stolen, and when stopped, you further admitted to doing so on multiple occasions, with your justification being you did not enough money to pay. I'd say there is about a 95% chance of this going to court.

If it was to transpire your partner knew that you had been using her pass, or gave it to you, then she too, is also liable to be prosecuted.

Edited by firstclassx

If i knew it was this serious an offence i wouldn't have taken the jobto begin with. I didnt think it would of gone beyond a fine... i guess i was just being nieve.

fair comment

we all makes poor judgements sometimes

dont forget that in your letter too.

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

That is all you can try and do, negotiate with them when you receive a letter.

Realistically though, I don't think anybody (on this and other forums) has managed to get an out of court settlement arranged for intentional abuse of a freedom pass.

TfL are not particularly interested in making money from these prosecutions. They have every intention to prosecute where sufficient evidence exists. They will get their costs and compensation anyway as part of the conviction process.

Section 5(3a) - Regulation of Railways Act 1889 is likely to be the listed offence as you deliberately intended to avoid paying the correct fare, by using a ticket you had effectively stolen, and when stopped, you further admitted to doing so on multiple occasions, with your justification being you did not enough money to pay. I'd say there is about a 95% chance of this going to court.

If it was to transpire your partner knew that you had been using her pass, or gave it to you, then she too, is also liable to be prosecuted.

In my earlier reply : I'd considered stating what I'd previously believed :

a) pass owner knew of fraudulent use : they are liable for transferring the pass (still the situation to my knowledge) or

b) taken without the pass owner's consent = theft. It is this I'm no longer sure of, hence why I omitted posting these.

Is it theft?. It is misappropriation, but if there is no intent to permanently deprive, it isn't theft?.

So, (regarding only the theft aspect), it might then be non-prejudicial to say "I took it without permission, intending to return it".

The issue may then become "OK, but what did you expect to happen if you were caught with the pass", as the OP was .....

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/6

“With the intention of permanently depriving the other of it".

(1)A person appropriating property belonging to another without meaning the other permanently to lose the thing itself is nevertheless to be regarded as having the intention of permanently depriving the other of it if his intention is to treat the thing as his own to dispose of regardless of the other’s rights; and a borrowing or lending of it may amount to so treating it if, but only if, the borrowing or lending is for a period and in circumstances making it equivalent to an outright taking or disposal.

(2)Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) above, where a person, having possession or control (lawfully or not) of property belonging to another, parts with the property under a condition as to its return which he may not be able to perform, this (if done for purposes of his own and without the other’s authority) amounts to treating the property as his own to dispose of regardless of the other’s rights.

My girlfriend did not give me permission to use it. She had starting walking to work in the mornings & hadnt been using it lately so whenever she'd left it in the house, i used it. I know what i did was wrong but i didnt think it would be considered as theft because its my partners & i only borrowed it for a short period of time... i guess its a really complicated situation. I'll have to try & get that message across when i reply to their letter.

Hello there.

You'll find plenty of other freedom pass threads on the forum if you use the search tool, it might be helpful for you to see what happened to other people.

The guys are right, writing before you have TfL's letter is unlikely to be productive, better to wait.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum