UW capricious debt charges - warrant to fit prepayment meters **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3669 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have my electricity & gas with Utility Warehouse (“UW”).

Owing to employment issues I developed arrears in my energy account with Utility Warehouse.

In Calendar 2012 my total consumption and charges were as follows:

Gas: £1,172.89

Electricity: £1,265.66

Over the same period UW has billed me a grand total of £1,010.00 in other charges composed of £66.00 in “DD –refer to” and the balance of charges described as “Legal / debt charge”.

I have paid in full all of the energy charges but am engaged in a dispute with UW over the other charges.

UW has taken me to magistrate’s court in an attempt to obtain a warrant to fit prepayment meters. I attempted to defend the application by pointing out, via a detailed witness statement, that this is a dispute and that the dispute relates to charges which are not covered by the legislation under which UW is attempting to obtain a warrant. The magistrates adjourned UW’s application so as to have an opportunity to consider my witness statement.

I have written to UW about the charges, I have asked it to explain in detail the charges. UW has stated that they are legitimate and that I must pay them.

My questions to fellow CAG’s:

1. Do you agree with the overall approach I have taken at the magistrate’s court?

2. I am considering taking UW to county court on the following basis:

a. UW has applied my payments to its “other” charges on a first in first out accounting basis; therefore I could make a claim for circa £750 plus interest plus court fees for that amount.

b. I am thinking I would use the “penalty charges” rationale.

c. I am thinking that I should lodge my claim a week before the magistrates court hearing so as to frustrate this; I am assuming that County Court takes precedence over magistrates Court.

All thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I will flag your thread for those who might know.

If you want to submit additional information, I think it needs to be with the court 7 working days prior to the hearing.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

cant stop it anymore

i moved with even +£1k owing

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

cant stop it anymore

i moved with even +£1k owing

dx

Thank you; UW has stated that I cannot move whilst I owe them money (presumably more than what might normally accrue during the move). Can you give me either statute or regulations which state that UW cannot refuse to move my account?

thanks!

type in switch my electric whilst owing

or like words in a search engine.

i think it was £500 now its must more.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you; UW has stated that I cannot move whilst I owe them money (presumably more than what might normally accrue during the move). Can you give me either statute or regulations which state that UW cannot refuse to move my account?

thanks!

If UW refuse to transfer, ask them in writing by snail mail for a deadlock letter and tell them that if it is not received within 14 days, you wil escalate it to the Ombudsman. That will cost them £500 if it is forwarded to Ombudsman! Only do this if you are prepared to take it all the way.

An energy supplier can prevent you moving your supply whilst you have an outstanding balance of more than £500. Each supplier has their own policy on this, however I am 99% certain that in the Ofgem regulations they cannot stop you moving when there is a genuine dispute on the account

• Haha 1

An energy supplier can prevent you moving your supply whilst you have an outstanding balance of more than £500. Each supplier has their own policy on this, however I am 99% certain that in the Ofgem regulations they cannot stop you moving when there is a genuine dispute on the account

Hello Nottslad. Nice to see you back again offering advice. :wink:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?910-Newsletter-October-2012

We highlighted the new regulations in the October Newsletter above.

Energy customers get new switching rights

Households with pre-payment meters who owe up to £500 to their energy supplier will be able to switch to cheaper deals

with another firm under new measures.

Customers of the biggest six companies are currently able to move only if they have debts of less than £200.

Under OFGEM's announcement, British Gas, EDF, Eon, SSE, Scottish Power and Npower will allow people on pre-payment meters to switch from 1 November.

It is thought tens of thousands of users will be helped by the move.

Read more :

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?366355-New-rules-will-allow-switching-for-pre-payment-customers-with-arrears-of-up-to-%C2%A3500

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

are you saying they are charging penalty fees for being in debt to them?

dx

and they

I would have thought that these charges really are excessive and would constitute an unfair contract term as per the 1977 Act.

Whilst a company is within it's rights to pass on actual costs they have incurred as a result of late payments, these are punitive charges. Have you considered writing a formal letter of complaint to their MD, requesting a full explanation and breakdown of the charges and on what legal basis they consider the charges enforceable and fair?

Set out that you dispute these charges as they are excessive when compared to the principal sum which was owed

are you saying they are charging penalty fees for being in debt to them?

dx

Correct, UW has endeavoured to charge me fees which clearly exceed its costs; penalty fees.

I have now filed a claim, my claim was for the amount which UW has applied to its penalty fees rather than the energy charges. My claim utilised the usual penalty fees language.

I will let you all know how I make out with them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

great result!!

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...