style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2467 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I'll try to keep this brief.

I had a full time, permanent contract as a Technician at a FE college for 7 years.

Last September (after much teacher training) the college found it convenient to give me some casual teaching hours during a period of staff restructure.

I was explicitly told (in email) by HR that I would keep my full time technician contract and the casual hours would be paid in addition to my salary even though the hours overlapped. At no point was my original full time contract altered.

Payroll asked me in today claiming I'd been overpaid £1600 for technician hours while I was teaching stating that they can't pay me for two roles simultaneously. I fulfilled all the duties of both roles meaning I was planning lessons on evenings and weekends as every moment not teaching at the college was taken up by tech duties.

It seems to me that payroll are trying to renegotiate my full time contract retrospectively without my approval. What rights do I have?

Thanks in advance.

Hello there.

Do you have this agreement in writing please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yes, I have an email from HR clearly stating that my casual teaching hours were in addition to my full time contract. Trouble is, payroll didn't seem to be in on this fact and they've stepped in months later wanting the technician hours back.

Suggest that you send Payroll a copy of the email and stand your ground, informing them that this is NOT an overpayment but that this was agreed ADDITIONAL work for ADDITIONAL pay. State in writing that they do NOT have your permission to deduct money from your salary and that you will take the matter before a Tribunal at the first indication that they intend to do this.

Do that first and then let HR have a copy and ask them to confirm with Payroll that you are carrying out additional work and that this is to be paid in addition to your normal salary not instead of.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!