dazedndconfussed

Question With Regarding Sickness Policy / Disaplinary

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2462 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hiya all.

The company I work for has a sickness policy which means that if you are off for 3 short periods (2 days or less) or 2 long periods (3 days or more) within 6 months then you receive a verbal warning. This is the only information provided in the employee handbook and on the employee website for HR queries.

Okay, my problem is that I was off for 3 weeks (signed off by the G.P.) in August and again for 2 days on the 7th and 8th of January. Obviously these two periods are within 6 months of each other but one is a short period of absence (2 days) and the other a long period (3 days +).

I was told by my manager today that I would have to attend a meeting with her a week Friday where I would be given a verbal warning for my absences as there were these two periods in 6 months and the first one was a long one. Is this right? No documentation that I have ever seen states what happens if there is 1 short and 1 long absence in 6 months so are they allowed to do this?

Thanks for any help (hope it all made sense)

You need to challenge them to clarify their policy and the fact that their own rules make no provision for your particular situation. Actually tell them that their own provisions make no sanction available for a long absence and a short absence, so any warning issued will be challenged on the basis that you have not breached any term of your contract.

If they try to re-write the rules, then once again this should be challenged on the basis that it is an additional term which has not been notified.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

They may be looking at trigger points and not explaining things properly in the handbook, explain the situation to them and say that your situation dosnt seem to apply, they may need to rewrite the policy on sickness to be more clear.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Hi

Forget that handbook as you probably realise its a shortened edited company version of the actual policy itself.

You are fully entitled to request a copy of the original unedited version . IMO I would write to them (always get proof of posting) and request a full copy of the Companies Sickness Policy and Procedure and if they refer you to whats in the handbook continue to request a full copy of the original unedited Policy and Procedure (now when you get this check the date it was approved and importantly the Next Review date)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group