• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Unrefunded unauthorised direct debits

katytatlow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 12th September 2012 two unauthorised direct debits came out of our Lloyds business account for £183.60 each (total £367.20) going to a company with which we have no agreement.

We found out about this in December when completing our vat return and phoned Lloyds on 12th of December to notify them.

We were informed on the phone that the payments would be recredited to our account and the direct debit cancelled and that this was being actioned immediately. Job done.

We phoned back, just to be on the safe side, spoke to another member staff who confirmed that action was being taken,

and enquired if we should cancel the direct debits manually via the online control panel.

They were non-committal and said that we could if we wanted to. We did.

Upon checking the account again on January 15th we noticed that no credits had been made to refund these funds.

There is no contact email or messaging service via the online facility and so we were forced to telephone Lloyds once again.

We explained the situation once again and asked them to check on the status of the refund.

We were then told that the refund had been "actioned" on January 11th and that the funds should appear within 3-5 working days of that date.

We complained that we were informed on December 12th that the funds would be recredited to our account immediately.

They responded that as it was an indemnity claim going back some months that it takes longer to process.

Whilst renegotiating our overdraft facility on January 16th, another extended phone call, we enquired as to the status of the refund again.

After a lengthy explanation we were told that it had indeed been actioned and that it would take 3-5 days.

No explanations were forthcoming regarding the assurances given on December 12th that the refund would be made immediately.

When asked for a reference we were told that this was unavailable.

When asked to be referred to a supervisor we were repeatedly told that one was unavailable.

When asked for a email address for the complaints department I was told there was none.

When asked for an address for the complaints department we were told that they did not have one.

We were told that a complaint could be raised by them but no reference could be given.

We agreed to the complaint being raised and were asked to ......... please hold.

More than 10 mins later and back on the line we were told that a complaint had been raised and "would we accept £50 for the trouble?".

We replied that, no, we would not accept the pay off as we had no information from them whatsoever regarding the refund

and obviously could not now rely on information given over the phone as this had proved to be incorrect previously.

We asked again to speak to a supervisor, or at least to the person who had authorised the £50 pay off, but were told that they were unavailable.

We asked for the contact details of the Banking Ombudsman and were told that they did not have one and maybe we should look on Google.

After a great degree of cajoling, and threatening to take the issue to the Banking Ombudsman,

we were then, very reluctantly, given a reference number for the "indemnity claim", a "complaint reference", a "team manager's" name

and the address where the staff member was situated. We were still refused any contact info for the complaints department.

The whole phone call took 1 hour and 15 mins.

As far as we can see Lloyds bank have conducted unauthorised borrowing of £367.20 from our account for over 30 days.

Are we within our rights to demand the interest due at the current Lloyds unauthorised business borrowing rate,

together with the original sum plus expenses for the time and inconvenience caused.

Also ... surely Lloyds bank (as with any on-line business) cannot refuse to provide an email complaints contact address.

This wall of misinformation and timewasting is incredibly frustrating.

if it WAs a DD and ir WAS

under the DD guarantee they should have reversed it within 12hrs!!

i know you've prob heard it from them all before

no we cant etc etc

the DD guarantee is INSTANT no quibble thats what it is there for!!

and they MUST refund any costs/charges you have incurred too as a result.

you should seek compensation as well

there is a complaints tab on the lloyds website

hit them with that too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

bugger you beat me mike!!

dx

and they

My advice to you, from person experience, would be go in to your branch and ask to see the manager and only the manager. Tell him exactly whats happened. They will sort it for you.

The frontline staff (as I call them) are clueless and again, from previous experience, cannot even use the in house system properly. They're sending you in circles.

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

Thanks Noddy.

I have sent my complaint via the on line form (twice) but have not recieved any email confirmations !! I am not convinced the online form is working. My 'absolute' promised phone call and refund for Thursday am has not happened (predictably). So feeling a tad ignorded.

Happy weekend.

Thanks Noddy.

I have sent my complaint via the on line form (twice) but have not recieved any email confirmations !! I am not convinced the online form is working. My 'absolute' promised phone call and refund for Thursday am has not happened (predictably). So feeling a tad ignorded.

Happy weekend.

They're absolutely gimmicks mate. I dont know how Lloyds work, the complaints might be sent abroad (a county where Enlgish isn't even a first language) then might be referred back to the UK if its considered important, in the complaints form people might just leave a negative feedback/comment so rather than pay UK staff at the local rate they may people peanuts in India to flick through complaints.

With me, HSBC put a default on my credit file which shoiuldnt have been there and instructed debt collectors to still collect the amount from me. When I went to HSBC the little frontline idiots couldnt find any information on their own system so I always had arguments with the debt collectors disputing that am not liable.

When some months went by and I tried getting a mortgage I couldnt because my credit score failed as it was "poor" due to the default. I was about to give up and let 6 years go by... but no I thought that is a long time. Went in, and asked for the manager. The frontline clowns asked me "why, whats it about" I said "I cannot discuss it with you, I need to speak to the manager its urgent and cannot discuss it with you" (this shut him up, as I was already annoyed with the whole fiasco). The manager popped down, spent 30mins on the computer infront of me found the details and said "you are right there shouldn't be a default on your credit file". He phoned up the relevant department and he was told "the default will be removed within 5/7 days". And that was the case. He even wrote me a letter explaining everything, which I am using to sue them now. A few times after that I had different debt collectors harass me, and I went into the branch again and he again told them to back off.

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.