• Tweets

• In that case I don't think you'd have any grounds for a claim against the receiver, short of anything actually criminal. The receiver was appointed by the lender so any claim you make should be aginst them. How much equity do you reckon there was when they took possession? Realistic value less outstanding balance (including arrears).  This messing around makes me wonder even more if the property was wildly over valued. Normally a lender would sell and not really care if they got the best price so long as they covered the balance plus their costs. 
    • Hey @lookinforinfo I'm not sure, I don't believe he told them he's the driver. He must have selected an option saying that he's appealing on behalf of the driver or something of the sort. In more news, however, these wannabe thugs are back at it again. Honestly, what a joke. In the letter they sent before this it said they had made "2 attempts" and in this letter they said "4 attempts", I wonder what happened to the "3rd attempt" lol.  WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 14.06.07_44abc9c8.pdf
    • Hi all, I purchased a car in January from Big Motoring World Leeds. At the time of sale I was shown a tab on the salespersons computer marked 'service history' and I was able to take comfort knowing that the car had been serviced on 3 occasions as the date, mileage and company was there on screen. Being a 3 and a bit year old car that, in my mind, constituted full service history 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, collected the car a week later. Once home I settled down to through the book pack etc. Opened the service history booklet and it was completely blank. In addition there were no invoices detailing that any services had been done. I duly contacted BMW and asked them to supply me with proof of service history. They responded saying that on their 'vehicle documentation checklist' I had ticked and then signed to the fact that I had seen the service history and that I was happy with it. I dug out this checklist and what it actually states is 'seen service history online' which I had in the showroom. BMW seem to think that this satisfies their responsibility in providing service history. The reality is that I don't have any proof that the vehicle has ever been serviced! For my own peace of mind I ended up paying for a service that satisfied the manufacturers maintenance schedule to the tune of £330. I even complained to the finance company that the vehicle contravenes the Sale of Goods act 2015 as l, in effect, ot is not as described. Amazingly they weren't interested and instead I just got an email stating that it's not illegal to sell a vehicle without service history and that servicing costs were part and parcel of vehicle ownership. I've since complained to the ombudsman and am awaiting to see if they can help. I have no issue with the car but the treatment and customer service has been the worst I've ever experienced. I don't really know what to do next as I really do feel aggrieved that I've had to pay to service a car that should have already been serviced. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? 🙏
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hoping you can offer some advice. I received a Attendance notice for 2 outstanding council tax debts last week.

I admit that due to a challenging year I forgot about the council tax after having been on benefits for a while and having it "covered" and I now owe this money. I however cannot pay the two liability orders up front that are:

15th May - 439.67

7 August - 1276.58

I attempted to contact the council, who told me that as it was now with bailiffs I couldn't make a payment deal. (I wasnt aware of receiving letters, even though they said they sent them - however at the time it was all happening I was recovering from a hysterectomy and cervical cancer, so may have missed and binned any letters as unimportant at the time)

I then contacted the bailiff who has arranged to come to my house tomorrow to discuss a payment deal to repay the debt. I did a little digging tonight, and have found out that I really shouldn't be letting them into my house - Will they discuss a payment deal on the doorstep? Is there a letter I can hand the bailiff with my repayment offer? what are the definate do's and donts? Im a single mum, and slightly terrified of dealing with the bailiffs, so would like just a little advice

no dont do that keep him out.

don't discuss it with him.

you need to do these thing if not already:

if you can pay you should be paying the council

direct via your internet banking site

never ever pay a bailiff.

Here is something to be getting on with. First of all establish from the Council how much was owing etc You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Next you need to send off for a breakdown of the charges the Bailiff applied. Here's an example, use and adapt at will and best sent initially by email backed up by a copy in the post.

"From:

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if you can pay you should be paying the council

direct via your internet banking site

Having a dumb blonde moment (it is after midnight after all) - are you suggesting I make a payment towards the council tax as soon as possible, or do i wait for them to agree a payment plan? Will it help my case to make a payment as soon as possible?

you obv owe 'something'

if you intend to pay aNYTHING

do not pay the bailiffs

pay the council.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I fully intend to pay what I owe, and I know I owe money - I'm not denying that.

I was trying to work out whether I should start making payments to the council tomorrow,

or if I should wait for them to agree a payment plan with me.

I've found an article on another site, that basically says send a letter saying what you intend to do and start making payments,

so that is what I will do. (article here http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=02_bailiffs_and_council_tax )

they cant refuse online payments

have you sorted out the benefits confusion?

do you think they are correct balances.

dx

and they

I'll find out the full balances tomorrow - when I phone (or pop in) and get all that information from the first thread. As for the benefits thing - I admit I probably didnt follow up the way I should have, and I'm to blame (in my defence I did have cancer and major surgery, so it all got muddled during the middle of the year!) . So I will happily pay in full, it will just take a while.

know the score

the mrs went through that.

i think you might well be classed as vunerable too.

Department for Constitutional Affairs - Enforcement - National Standards for Enforcement Agents

Vulnerable situations

Enforcement agents/agencies and creditors must recognise that they each have a role in ensuring that the vulnerable and socially excluded are protected and that the recovery process includes procedures agreed between the agent/agency and creditor about how such situations should be dealt with. The appropriate use of discretion is essential in every case and no amount of guidance could cover every situation, therefore the agent has a duty to contact the creditor and report the circumstances in situations where there is evidence of a potential cause for concern. If necessary, the enforcement agent will advise the creditor if further action is appropriate. The exercise of appropriate discretion is needed, not only to protect the debtor, but also the enforcement agent who should avoid taking action which could lead to accusations of inappropriate behaviour.

Enforcement agents must withdraw from domestic premises if the only person present is, or appears to be, under the age of 18; they can ask when the debtor will be home - if appropriate.

Enforcement agents must withdraw without making enquiries if the only persons present are children who appear to be under the age of 12.

Wherever possible, enforcement agents should have arrangements in place for rapidly accessing translation services when these are needed, and provide on request information in large print or in Braille for debtors with impaired sight.

Those who might be potentially vulnerable include:

'

the elderly;

'

people with a disability;

'

the seriously ill;

'

the recently bereaved;

'

single parent families;

'

pregnant women;

'

unemployed people; and,

'

those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English.

this applies to the whole HOUSEHOLD 'a' vunerable person resides there.

and they

Good advice from DX, pay the council what you can afford online, send the revenues dept an email, followed with a letter offering payment at that rate, and explain the vulnerability, copy of sicknote or a medical professional would help.

DO NOT let the bailiff in, and if you don't feel comfortable opening the door tell them trough the letterbox you are paying the council, he will threaten and stamp his feet abit, but no law says you must let him in, he only wants a levy to ground more fees that he will set at a rate you cannot afford so you default allowing him to add more fees ad infinitum. Film him even with a mobile phone to capture any threats, and hide any car a good way away.

Deny him a levy and the most he can have is a total of £42.50 for a First and second visit fee.

What bailiff company is this please?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

If you have a car please move it away from drive ASAP to prevent the bailiff getting a levy

Remember bailiffs lie

there is no right of entry no locksmith no calling the van team all he would be trying to do is line his pockets with fees

As above payments direct to the council

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Are you still in receipt of any benefits?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

You should not under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES allow the bailiff into your home and you MUST ensure that you do not have a car outside or nearby. In this way the bailiff charges are limited to just £24.50.

It is the case that you MUST make a payment proposal IN WRITING to the bailiff co and copy the letter to the council.

Do not answer the door and if you speak to the bailiff advise him that you will be writing to his company with a payment proposal.

PS: Call the council this morning and ask for confirmation of the amount of the Liability Order. You might want to compare this with the amount that the bailiff "claims" is owed !!!!

Popped into the council this morning

2 Liability orders, on my home address. One for £217.17 - April 11 to March 12

and second one for 1030.08 for April 12 to March 13. Liability orders were gotten on 15th may and 7th Aug and it was sent to bailiffs on 23rd October.

Also received a response from my email to the bailiffs -

both have the correct amounts from CTAX on them, plus a 1st and 2nd visit fee (24.50 and 18.00) so I'm not sure where the bailiffs hand written figures came from on the notices he posted through my door last week.

Honestly right now I've just had a major panic attack on my way into work, and had to turn around and come home. I've just had to make an appointment with my doctor because this has bought my previously under control depression into overdrive, and right now even the idea of this man knocking on the door renders me paralysed with fear.

My CAB doesnt open until 10am for phonecalls, and right now I honestly dont know if I can face this.

(as for a car, I dont have one - so this isnt an issue)

If you follow the above advice you will get this on the right track to resolving it without the stress of Bungles bailiffs in the background.

Pay the Council direct using one of their online payment systems......YOU are then in control not the bailiff.

WD

Right, so long as you don't let the bailiff in to gain a levy, he is mostly powerless, make the offer in writing to the council and pay something off the account using the councils online system, to show good faith. you could indicate you don't trust the bailiff from Bumbles and Co to deal fairly with you.

Right, bailiff has just been. He put this through the door

"I have called today to seize your goods for sale at public auction. Whilst the law entitles me to remove goods in your absence I would prefer to do so when you are present to minimise any disputes as to damage, etc.

Please phone me on xxxx to arrange an appointment for me to return and remove goods or collect the debt in full

If I do not hear from you I will have no alternative but to return without notice and seize goods whether you are present or not"

He also left a message on the phone answer machine (which I have saved) saying it was in my best interest to speak to him because "it is being enforced by council and the magistrates court- if I dont allow entry the council will probably enforce it another way, which would not allow any negotiation on payment "

What is my next steps? How many times is he likely to come back? I have never done anything liek this before, I'm scared right now

load of bowarks ofcourse

he cannot force entry

and only take things he sees left outside

but must give you a levy list on them first not on the same visit day.

and ofcourse you DO NOT speak to him.

dx

and they

Right, bailiff has just been. He put this through the door

"I have called today to seize your goods for sale at public auction. Whilst the law entitles me to remove goods in your absence I would prefer to do so when you are present to minimise any disputes as to damage, etc.

Please phone me on xxxx to arrange an appointment for me to return and remove goods or collect the debt in full

If I do not hear from you I will have no alternative but to return without notice and seize goods whether you are present or not"

He also left a message on the phone answer machine (which I have saved) saying it was in my best interest to speak to him because "it is being enforced by council and the magistrates court It is a liability order, it doesn't give a right to automatic forced entry, he needs you to let him in first, deny him a levy he is relatively powerless- if I dont allow entry the council will probably enforce it another way, which would not allow any negotiation on payment " More bluff and bluster, if you don't allow him entry and you pay the council direct he will not get extra beer tokens over and above the two visit fees

What is my next steps? How many times is he likely to come back? He may come back a few times but if you don't answer the door, and he can't get a levy he will eventually move on to a more compliant victim and return the account to the council, which you will have been paying directly anyway, all you then have to allow for is to pay £42.50 on top for the two visit fees. I have never done anything liek this before, I'm scared right now

Keep him out and pay the council film him even through the letterbox with your mobile phone, if you don't want to open the door to him, to capture any threats which may come in handy to ground a Formal complaint later.

After a brief heart to heart with my mum she is actually able to lend me the full amount to make payment - do I do this directly to the council? (It'll be for the amount on the liability orders not the amount the bailiff put on his attendance notice)

He also left a message on the phone answer machine (which I have saved) saying it was in my best interest to speak to him because "it is being enforced by council and the magistrates court- if I dont allow entry the council will probably enforce it another way, which would not allow any negotiation on payment "

What is my next steps? How many times is he likely to come back? I have never done anything liek this before, I'm scared right now

As already said he can NOT force entry

The bailiff is on to a looser with no levy

If and when he returns hope for some rain and wave to him through the window:-)

plenty of us have been there before there is light at the end of the tunnel

As for how many visits the bailiffs make once they realize they are getting no where they will give up and move on to the next victim

:-)

After a brief heart to heart with my mum she is actually able to lend me the full amount to make payment - do I do this directly to the council? (It'll be for the amount on the liability orders not the amount the bailiff put on his attendance notice)

Pay the council direct we can iron out bailiff fees later if need be

I obviously need to send an email / letter to both parties to say that payment has been made in full? Is there a template that someone could advise I use?

incase there are any people watching this thread this is the email / letter I am writing to the council regarding my payments

Dear Sir,

Further to our correspondence earlier today I am writing to confirm that I have no paid in full the two liability orders on this account, via the online payment system.

The liability orders were –

217.17 for April 2011 to March 2012

1030.08 for April 2012 to March 2013

This made a total of £1247.25

A payment was made on 16th Jan 2013 (7.11am) for £30 (receipt number xxx)

And the remainder of 1217.25 was also made on 16h Jan 2013 (21.00) (receipt number xxx)

Would you please confirm within 14 days that these 2 liability orders have now been paid in full?

I have young children, and have recently been diagnosed with severe depression and so as a single parent I find it incredibly distressing and detrimental to my health to be threatened and intimidated by a bailiff which is why I have chosen to pay the council directly what I owe them.

Would you please confirm within 14 days that these 2 liability orders have now been paid in full?

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Name

Hoping this will get the job done, and will get the bailiff to back off now