Anxiously Awaiting

Need Help/ Advice RE- ESA Medical

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2466 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello everyone,

I don't want to bother people with explaining why I am on ESA but I'm in a support group and go once a month there ..I went for a medical in December ..the Practitioner (or whatever they are) seemed fair ..she listened to me and took everything into consideration and ended with telling me that she didn't see why I should be put through more stress and to "go home and not worry cos everything is going to be fine) .. a week later I received a letter saying that my benefits where going up (due to being put into the "support group") stating "we have looked at your claim again following a recent change"

What I want to know is .. is this a pass or will I need to wait longer to see if I failed?

Hello and welcome to CAG. I'm just going to move your post to the Benefits forum, where you should get more replies.

However, on the face of it, it looks like you have found to have Limited Capability for Work (LCW) as result of your medical appointment in December and been placed in the Support Group. Does the letter state the date from which the change will apply? When did you first claim ESA?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thank you ..I was trying to figure out how to get it posted to the right place ..sorry

I have claimed ESA since around 2011 ..I had a medical last year at the same time and failed, I had my letter of the fail about the same time, around a week-2 weeks later.

It went to tribunal but I wasn't even in there long because they said it was clear that I was not fit for work at this time and that I needed help with like therapy etc ..the first woman I went to see for the medical was very rude to me and didn't let me speak unless my answers were yes/no answers ..if I said anything else she repeated the question ..I foolishly went into the room alone as I had been there twice before and saw the same person both times and they were really nice with me etc..This person wasn't ..I cried the whole way through and had a panic attack, the receptionist was called and they took me back to my awaiting parents ..in the medical report she put I was "very talkative and seemed like I was under no pressure to explain my circumstances" etc etc etc ..which is a complete lie!!! ..she also put that I wasn't on medication (I have been since 2009) ..I wasn't seeking help (I was seeing a councillor weekly) and I didn't even see my GP (I have a fortnight appointment and have never missed going) .. It was very unfair and the worst experience of my whole entire life .. I knew I'd failed before I'd left the room ..she just commented on my dress ??? (it cost 99p + post lol from ebay) ..she said I had "expensive tastes" (what that idiotic pointless comment has to do with anything I'll never know) and even asked me what clubs/pubs I liked in my Town ..??? I think she was trying to somehow trick me .. she should come and live with me for a month if she thinks I'm just out and about all the time ..she'll be sadly disappointed ..I don't even answer the phone or open the door to anyone! if it's a parcel I get it sent to my parents ..they or my sisters collect my mail ..the only social communication I have is on here and that's cos I know you can't judge someone you can't see .. sorry for the babble I get frustrated/anxious sometimes and this waiting is really getting me down and worked up.

Hi :)

By the sounds of you have "passed" the medical and have been placed in the Support Group. Just to check though, can you provide us with the wording of the letter? I'm not asking for any personal info, I just want to check what letter it is you have received.

If I were you, I would give the DWP a ring (or get a relative/close friend to do it on your behalf). I double check you have been placed in the Support Group, and if so, ask for a copy of the ESA85A and ESA85S forms. These will give you clear indication of how long you can expect to go before going through another medical.

I hope that helped. Best wishes. :-)

I'd already started to go to the "support group" and had had my initial appointment to kind of welcome me and explain what I was going to be doing there ..then I met the person I will be seeing every month a week later.

So I'd had two visits there already.

The letter -

"We have looked at your claim following a recent change"

From 27th December (then it goes on to say what benefits I will receive)

This is because you have been placed in the Support Group (It goes on further to explain why I will receive so much extra a week, due to being in this group)

My appointment was 20th Dec and the letter was dated the 23rd..is this Just a late letter do you think? ..My last examination (last year) was 28th Dec and I got my "fail letter"11th of Jan

If you are in the support group you shouldnt have to attend any groups at all unless you wish to.

I don't have to ..I just do a one on one visit every month ..I just need to do what they ask of me (up to now it's been one task a time, the person I see just takes a copy we talk about it for about 10 minutes and then I'm free to go home)..they don't expect anything from me at the moment and have even said I can do my monthly check-ups by phone.

My letter said the same thing. I am also in the support group. It should say that you're not required to do anything; but you may contact a personal adviser.

What's the one to one visit for? If it's anything to do with the job centre / work programme, you're under no obligation to attend.

I concur. I am also in the Support Group, and so far I haven't had to have any meetings. Hopefully this will continue for the foreseeable future.

I concur. I am also in the Support Group, and so far I haven't had to have any meetings. Hopefully this will continue for the foreseeable future.
I'm with a place called inspire to independence. I only have a one to one with my advisor there and its every month, I don't know why I'm obligated to go and nobody else is :/

I'm with a place called inspire to independence. I only have a one to one with my advisor there and its every month, I don't know why I'm obligated to go and nobody else is :/
can someone help me out please then? I was placed on this Before I attended my medical, should I still be attending this place after they've placed me in the support group? Or IS this the support group? . . I'm lost now :(

There isn't actually a "Support Group" as such. If the DWP say they have placed you in the Support Group, what they mean is they understand that you are too ill to work, and will pay you more money accordingly. That's it. There should be no meetings at all, until you are next called for a medical.

I have never heard of "inspire to independence". Hopefully others will know more about it.

can someone help me out please then? I was placed on this Before I attended my medical, should I still be attending this place after they've placed me in the support group? Or IS this the support group? . . I'm lost now :(

In ESA terms, the "Support Group" (SG) isn't an actual group that you're expected to attend - it's just the way the law refers to the type of ESA you receive. As Dasis16 said, what it means to be placed in the SG is that the DWP has accepted that you're not fit for work and, for now, also not fit for "work related activity" (including attending the interviews you mention).

So, if you're in the SG, you should not have to attend interviews or meetings that have to do with helping you get ready for work. You can do so voluntarily if you wish, but you don't have to. It might be worth calling the Benefit Centre that pays your claim (their number will be on the letter they've sent you) just to confirm this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I spoke to my advisor Today by email (the one at the i2i) and he said it sounds like I have passed and to contact the job centre to see if I need to carry on going there. However he did say that some people who are on support will one day (with help etc) be able to work so they may go to places like this where there is no pressure put on the person to find work etc ..but there will be others who's illness etc prevent them from working full stop and it will be a permanant fixture for them to be on support and it would be pointless to attend these kind of "meetings" (I listed it as a meeting, but it's solely a one to one in a private room away from any others ..I can take someone with me like my mum etc and if I feel like I don't want to physically go we can do the "interview" by phone or email but I believe it is mandatory that I keep in touch on a monthly basis with my advisor) .. I have been put with this group on a 2 year period with no pressure within that time to find work..but like he said he doesn't know if that letter means that I will not need to go out to him anymore or even do any of the monthly visits.. I'll call my local jc for advice Tomorrow and let you know what get's said .. My parents open my mail has I have previously mentioned so I can't get the letter uploaded here at the moment but I've asked my mum to bring it when she calls round on her visit to me.

Hi everyone,

I received a letter Today

"We have received notification from the (DWP) that your claim has changed.

You are now in the 'support group' bracket of (ESA) for 12 months.

In terms of your attendance with us on the Work Programme you will no longer need to attend the centre until further notice from the DWP. Your future appointment has been cancelled."

Then it goes on to list contact details ..this was sent by the person from the i2i so ~I'm assuming I just need to wait for correspondance from the DWP now

If you've received the letter from the DWP stating you're in the support group, that's it. Tehy should have no other letters to send you.

Hi everyone,

I received a letter Today

"We have received notification from the (DWP) that your claim has changed.

You are now in the 'support group' bracket of (ESA) for 12 months.

In terms of your attendance with us on the Work Programme you will no longer need to attend the centre until further notice from the DWP. Your future appointment has been cancelled."

Then it goes on to list contact details ..this was sent by the person from the i2i so ~I'm assuming I just need to wait for correspondance from the DWP now

It says it right there, your future appt has been cancelled, you don't need to go anymore.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Thx everyone for your replies x I know its silly but some of us just need people in the same kind of situations or who know what they're talking about but don't give the answers as though you've done something really bad by even asking! I feel a lot more at ease now I know I don't have to attend one of those stupid medical's until at least next year now and I don't have to go through the tribunal again! Hopefully I won't need to worry about all this again next year but if I do I know there's others here for me :)