Freeview+ box from Argos

bottomburp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today I bought a Freeview+ box from Argos. It scanned Ok but I can't get some of the channels I can get with my old Freeview box. The guarantee says I can't take it back unless it's faulty. I've checked on the Freeview site and the channels I am missing are shown as receivable i my postcode. So am I able to take the darn thing back and say it's faulty or not fit for purpose?

If I can't return it and get a refund I suppose I will have to get an aerial booster and cross my fingers that it does the trick.

Can anyone help with this. What I really want to do is get a refund and start again rather than have to lay out even more money - with no certainty that it'll ever work/get as many channels as my old Freeview box.

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

Today I bought a Freeview+ box from Argos. It scanned Ok but I can't get some of the channels I can get with my old Freeview box. The guarantee says I can't take it back unless it's faulty. I've checked on the Freeview site and the channels I am missing are shown as receivable i my postcode. So am I able to take the darn thing back and say it's faulty or not fit for purpose?

If I can't return it and get a refund I suppose I will have to get an aerial booster and cross my fingers that it does the trick.

Can anyone help with this. What I really want to do is get a refund and start again rather than have to lay out even more money - with no certainty that it'll ever work/get as many channels as my old Freeview box.

When did you last use your freeview box which got more channels? Was there's gap? Did the old box work after switchover? What kind of aerial are you using?

Missing channels is usually down to signal problems, weak or hampered signal. Have you had an engineer check your aerial?

You may find that this is your aerial. Before switch over I had over 120 channels on my top box. then when it switched I ended up with 30, over time it slowly went up and now have 90 channels.

I doubt it is your top box. I ended up getting an in door aerial which actually works better than my out side one. I can get up to 100 channels on that one.

You may find that this is your aerial. Before switch over I had over 120 channels on my top box. then when it switched I ended up with 30, over time it slowly went up and now have 90 channels.

I doubt it is your top box. I ended up getting an in door aerial which actually works better than my out side one. I can get up to 100 channels on that one.

How old is your roof aerial sean? It's rare for an indoor aerial to outperform a decent roof aerial, provided it's pointing in the right direction/hasn't been damaged etc...

its a 3 year old standard aerial, nothing special, I am in a higher than a normal 1st floor flat though. so indoor works very very well. Why it picks up better than outdoor I have no idea. It just picks up a signal far better than outdoor. Aerial on roof is fine, had it checked after all the winds we had last year.

The tuned length of the aerial will better match the signal pattern than the outdoor one. They are a generic size designed to capture all and not one particular frequency and although the indoor have the same design criteria, they also have the amount of space in your home to consider so are usually smaller and match the frequency length closer.

It must still have line of sight nonetheless.

The tuned length of the aerial will better match the signal pattern than the outdoor one. They are a generic size designed to capture all and not one particular frequency and although the indoor have the same design criteria, they also have the amount of space in your home to consider so are usually smaller and match the frequency length closer.

It must still have line of sight nonetheless.

Works better in the bedroom then the kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you will get anywhere arguing its not fit for purpose. My lecturer at uni told me about a harsh lesson he learned when he was younger. He bought a seatbelt from halfords that would not reach the clip once fitted (he is a larger chap). He took it back claiming it wasn't fit for purpose but halfords rightly said it is fit for purpose as a seatbelt, its just not fit for your purpose.

One freeview box can differ in what channels it picks up from another or even differ from an identical one in a different place within the house. In my opinion it is fit for purpose and you should look at ways of boosting signal. Perhaps a high gain digital aerial?

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

'real world' legal and retail experience too

I don't think you will get anywhere arguing its not fit for purpose. My lecturer at uni told me about a harsh lesson he learned when he was younger. He bought a seatbelt from halfords that would not reach the clip once fitted (he is a larger chap). He took it back claiming it wasn't fit for purpose but halfords rightly said it is fit for purpose as a seatbelt, its just not fit for your purpose.

Now if he said it was for him, then he could have claimed not fit for.