Bought dodgy car help

eddie777
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

On 4th Jan 2013, I bought a MK3 Mondeo from a show room in Derby. (Over the phone).

Yeah, not ideal.

Advertised at 82,589miles FSH, 12mth MOT (to be done at purchase), and 3mth Warranty.

The 6th of Jan it was delivered to me, after the MOT was done.

The delivery driver said that the rear wheel bearings have gone and need looking at.

As I got in the car to take the delivery driver back home, I noticed the mileage was at 131500 !!

Was told by a salesman at the forecourt I bought the car from, that it was wrong in the ad and should have been changed, but as a good will gesture they will upgrade my 3 mth warranty.

I`ve just got back from National tyres, who`ve inspected the car, and said it should not have passed its MOT the forecourt in Derby put it through.

They phoned up the warranty company to go ahead with the repairs, who replied saying these parts are not covered.

£250 including labour for each wheel.

Also the carpets are soaking wet, and the thermostat does not work.

The warranty, has my mileage at 124317.

Where did they get that from?

Thats a 7, 637mile difference!!

What are my options?

Thanks.

Ian Edwards

I'm assuming it was less than £5k.

Act very quickly. Write out a detailed statement of everything that has happened. Get names and addresses of any witnesses. Take lots of photos.

Stop driving the car. Send letter rejecting the car and demanding full repayment. Give 7 days to comply and then sue.

If you won't sue then don't make the threat - and frankly, give up.

The car was £1600.

You said act quickly? What is my time scale?

I have just emailed the Garage to ask them if they will sort the repairs. With what it will cost, I wont hold my breath.

PS.

Thankyou for getting back to me.

If you are going to reject the car then you must do it immediately and stop driving it.

If you are going to have it repaired then you can be more relaxed.

However speaking from the experience of having seen the same story happen dozens of times on these pages, I can tell you that there will be denial, excuses, reluctance, bargaining, uncertainty and long delays.

You are lucky that you are within time limits to reject the car. If you allow it to go on, you will be taken to have accepted the car and you will have to settle for what you can get.

Do yourself a favour. reject the car. Get your money back and don't be as silly about buying a car again.

You will need to be decisive, aggressive about suing, set tight time limits, stick to them and don't stand for any nonsense.

Do it all in writing and do it now.

Act on the advice for bankfodder NOW !!

Just been in touch with salesman that sold me the car. The owner does not do refunds, and offered me a take it or leave it £160 for work to be done. This is nowhere near enough.

Just been in touch with salesman that sold me the car. The owner does not do refunds, and offered me a take it or leave it £160 for work to be done. This is nowhere near enough.

Irrespective if the owner does not do refunds he is required to act within the law. You have every right to reject the car and ask for you money back. how did you pay for the car?