dazza12

Making several claims from the 90s.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2447 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I've had some successes with Welcome Finance, Barclaycard from a currently running card, and also I'm currently waiting to hear back from a claim about a current Capital One card.

Other successes on here and from colleagues has prompted me to look at old loans and credit cards that I had. I was in quite a bit of debt in the 1990s, and I'm pretty sure I was paying out a significant level of PPI. Previously I'd believed that these were excluded by the statute of limitation, but I understand that this is not the case with PPI reclaims and that there's effectively no time limit.

In my case, there are a couple of issues that may put a spanner in the works. I'd like to put these to the forum for advice, and if they'll cause me any problem.

- Paperwork is likely to be an issue. Although I probably still have paperwork for the financial products somewhere, this is likely to be in a storage unit somewhere or even hidden away in my house. It's also possible that my wife has 'tidied' them. Can I get duplicates, and how likely is it that I can claim without any records?

- I got into debt trouble in the late 90s/early 2000s. All of the credit products went through the default process and were ultimately sold on to debt collectors. In some cases these were paid off, part paid or were just ignored (as they'd caught up with me after the debt had fallen off my credit record). If I was successful in a reclaim, is it likely the bank concerned will pass the funds along that same debt selling chain, or will they pay directly to me?

- Some of the banks I dealt with at the time I'm now dealing with for separate, new products. For example, I had considerable debt with Barclaycard in the 90s. I'm now with Barclaycard again. These were my second success. Can I deal with them for a historic debt having already dealt with them for my current card? In my case I had a Gold Visa, Gold Mastercard and Gold Reserve. On all of these the limits kept being increased, and I was always within 10% of the credit limit. I believe there must have been 6-10k owed to them most of the time. A similar situation exists with RBS. I've always banked with Natwest, and had an RBS card in the late 90s prior to them buying Natwest. I still bank with Natwest. Are they likely to have any issues?

- Some of the banks I've dealt with have been bought or no longer exist. I had an Open University credit card provided by Beneficial. I may have had a loan with them as well, but can't remember. These were taken over by HFC, and I believe these have been taken over again. What happens in this situation?

I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks trying to find as much paperwork as possible, but I'd like to pursue the relevant banks in the meantime for their own records. Do I need any account numbers etc in order to do this? Am I correct in thinking that I need to write to each in turn with a modified Subject Access Request? I've got no problem with doing this, but I'm hoping that some of you on here can assist me with this.

Based on the experiences others have had, what banks tend to cause the most trouble when reclaiming? The banks I can remember dealing with are:

Barclaycard (Gold, Mastercard, Reserve)

RBS (Mastercard)

MBNA

Beneficial (HFC), Credit Card and Loan

There may be others, but I'll give this some thought.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance that can be offered.

find the paperwork

you could SAR but its a lottery if you get paperwork from that era

if the debt has been SOLD, they cannot offset

esp if its now over 6yrs settled/fallen off [statute barred]

it matters not you still banks with the companies

HFC/benny still exist

there rest is obv.

FIND that paperwork

particularly agreements and payment records. statments etc etc

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Thank you for the reply.

I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks digging around in my storage unit to see what paperwork I can find from these times. The annoying thing is that I can see a large bundle of different statements in a large pile in my mind - hopefully I put these in a box marked 'financial', but knowing me it's probably hidden away.

Can I use copies of transactions if I'm missing any statements? I was quite into Personal Financial Management software during that time (Quicken/MS Money etc) so it's very likely that I have some data stored somewhere. Now to find something that will open these files...

If I was to put in an SAR against a given bank, is this considered completely separate from the PPI claim in terms of timing? I don't want to start some clock ticking. I've done SAR's before as part of the bank charge reclaim and can't remember if it affected it. I think realistically I probably won't be putting some claims in for a good couple of months whilst I get all of the statements and evidence together and I'd like to minimise any stresses whilst I'm working this out.

Regarding the SAR request, if a given bank replies saying they have no records from that era or give limited information, does this mean that they cannot use information they subsequently find as a defense against a claim? If so it may be worth me sending out a load of SAR requests even if the most it does is protect me.

your issue will be to prove the mis-sale of PPI.

if they've no info, can't see them arguing.

typically now we are seeing not only banks wanting the agreements [a must]

but also proof the thing was paid off.

there is no time limit on PPI reclaims...end of!

dx

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

spreadsheets 

You mention that the banks need proof that it was paid off.

However, you also mentioned earlier that they can't offset if the debt has been sold, especially if statute barred.

If they've mis-sold and it can be proven, why would they need proof it's been paid off if the debit is that old? Surely if they've sold to a DCA then it's no longer their debt?

Are there any institutions that are insisting on proof that the debt has been paid off?

Some of mine were cleared, some weren't, so I'm probably going to have to dig deeper for some of these in order to prove the debt was settled.

HFC i've seen it twice now.

the matter of it being paid off or not has no relationship to it being sold.

other than logic if there is no debt then nothing to sell?

dont worry about it.

dx

spreadsheets 

I was hoping HFC were on that list - they're one of the few I did pay off.

The second loan paid off the first, and I think I saw the confirmation of payment letter a few weeks ago, so I may make a start on them.

When I say sold and paid off, I mean that in some cases I paid the debt off via the DCA after the debt was sold on.

Where possible I got confirmation the debt was settled, it's just a case of finding where I filed these letters.

I recall having several store cards over the years, Burton, Tandy, etc.

I understand that they were essentially the same company behind most of these cards.

I recall the bank names Welbeck, First and GE Capital amongst others, and I'm assuming they were renamed / taken over a number of times.

I've not been able to track who they are now, if they still exist. Are you aware of who they may be owned by now?

ge are satans bank [santander]

first the same i think

just type your query in a search engine. usually works.

on the HFC front

then you are in for a windfall on PPI as it was a refinance with no rebate i bet!!

find those agreements!

dx

spreadsheets 

I put in a claim for the period 1991 to 2012 - Financial Ombudsman ruled in my favour :-D

I've had quite a productive weekend where I blitzed my storage unit.

Every box that appeared to contain paperwork was put in the back of my car and I've been spending the last few days sifting through every scrap.

I'm now in posession of several store card statements,

some loan paperwork for the HFC loans,

a fair amount of Barclaycard and MBNA paperwork (not the agreements unfortunately)

and years of statement data from my main bank account.

That said, there are a few holes in the various histories.

I'll try to return over this weekend to see if there's anything I've missed.

One thing I'd forgotten is 3 Natwest loans that I'd taken out over the years.

I'd found an agreement from 1994 where I was forced into a consolidation loan with Natwest,

as I'd got into a bit of a mess with my overdraft.

I've had a look at the agreement and it definately doesn't show that the PPI was of an optional nature,

in fact some of the wording seemed to imply that it was part of the loan.

I then remembered that I'd taken out a loan with them in 1990 to buy a car,

and again had a consolidation loan with them in the early 2000s.

In 1990 I was working for the MOD (so had generous benefits, sick pay etc),

and in the early 2000s I was a contractor (so PPI wouldn't have paid out if I was out of work).

I do have a few queries that have arisen as a result of my investigations:

1) I had an RBS Mastercard from the mid to late 90s as well as the Natwest current account/loans. Although I have most of the statements I'm missing some statements and two of the loan agreements. Can the RBS Mastercard and the Natwest accounts be SAR'ed together or do these remain separate?

2) For those accounts without a full history, but enough to confirm that PPI existed, and assuming an SAR draws a blank, how do I account for missed statement months on the PPI spreadsheets? In some cases there is a considerable difference between the balance from the last available statement until the next one.

3) I've used the last spreadsheet for many of my credit card accounts where they were closed (or were sold on) in the early 2000s. These account for the APR up until the account was closed. Can I calculate 8% from the date of closure up until today?

4) I had a Curry's Creditcharge account that was ran by Lombard Tricity Finance. Although I've Googled, some information points towards them still being part of RBS, some suggest they're part of GE Money, some suggests that they're part of Santander along with the 'other' GE. What was their fate?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

1.if they are the same bsnking group then one will do, specifically ask what you are looking for with numbers and inc a line that states this request is to include any/all agreements with your group of banks held in WHATEVER format, but not limited to the specific accounts mentioned.

2. FOS alows you to avg.

3.yes on the total of your claim from closure date to the settle claim date

4.lombard are RBS

dx

• Confused 1

spreadsheets 

1.if they are the same bsnking group then one will do, specifically ask what you are looking for with numbers and inc a line that states this request is to include any/all agreements with your group of banks held in WHATEVER format, but not limited to the specific accounts mentioned.

4.lombard are RBS

dx

Thanks dx. I'm assuming that I can include the Lombard Tricity details along with the RBS and Natwest details to RBS. I'll get the SAR written tonight and get it sent off tomorrow.

Edited by dazza12