Recieved NIP-Not Me!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Late last week, I recieved and NIP, from South Yorkshire Police

For speeding on the M1, through roadworks.

The NIP was not in my name, and the vehicle reg was not one I recognise

Although the address was mine.

I called South Yorks Police, and told them. No one of that name lives here or ever has.

And that the vehicle reg is not one I recognise.

They took my name, and said someone will call me back.

I'm still waiting!

I'm not going to call them. I've tried that once.

Advise ??

Establish a paper trail. Put it in writing to them - delivered recorded and keep a copy. Stop doing important things like this on the phone unless you record the call.

Thanks!

Blimey, that was quick....lol

I will return the NIP, with a note, stating, "none of my business"

Some poor sod, is due a speeding ticket though

I would suggest you should treat this NIP with due care. Writing on it "none of my business" IMO is too flippant and dismissive. I would respond to it very officially and factually, clearly stating why you cannot provide information regarding the driver of that vehicle at that time.

But it is, none of my business.

South Yrks Police, have sent it in error

Why should I be bothered with what I write them??

In fact, why should I bother at all?

I called them ... they hav'nt called me back

They have made an administrative error, and then failed to return a call.

I don't wish to spend time and effort, on something ........... thats none of my business.

As far as the police are concerned, the vehicle is registered to your address. You nees to inform them that they are wrong.

It may be your view to act like that but the police see things like this every day and if you write in the manner you suggest, they will simply think you are trying to evade the ticket.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I understand what you say.

I'm not looking for confrontation

But, it is'nt my business, so thats all I can tell em.

Dear Plod,

I called your dept, dealing with this document you sent me.

I am not the person named, and I don't recognise the reg number

Yours sincerely.

An NIP is an official document with serious implecations if not returned correctly. You can be fined up to £1,000 for failure to respond to an NIP and have 6 points put on your licence..

You are required to provide any information you can to identify the driver of the vehicle at the time. Whilst no one here is disputing that you are entirely unrelated to the vehicle in question, if you fail to OFFICIALLY RESPOND to the NIP stating those reasons clearly, you may well be procecuted for failing to return the completed NIP. Should you be taken to court, why you didn't return the NIP may become academic to the judge!

So!

Someone makes a typo, or other genuine error

That results in an NIP dropping through my door.

How can I be fined, upto £1000?

It was'nt addresed to me, It was to "Mr Brown"

And I am "Mr Grey"... (I wish)

So they can take Mr Brown for upto £1000, surely.

Don't worry, I'm gonna respond, recorded delivery

I may even charge, for my time and the post cost ????

It's none of my business!!!

Why ask for advice and then when someone takes the time to try to help you, argue with them that "its none of my business"

I would personally follow the advice and put it formally and correctly not off hand and flippently But I suppose "its none of my business"

So!

Someone makes a typo, or other genuine error

That results in an NIP dropping through my door.

How can I be fined, upto £1000?

It was'nt addresed to me, It was to "Mr Brown"

And I am "Mr Grey"... (I wish)

So they can take Mr Brown for upto £1000, surely.

Don't worry, I'm gonna respond, recorded delivery

I may even charge, for my time and the post cost ????

It's none of my business!!!

Even if it is a genuine mistake, in law, it is up to YOU to inform them as per instructed with as much proof as possible that they have the wrong person. You might think its unfair, the country might think its unfair, but its still the law. If you do not respond as described above, you could be liable for that fine.

Seriously though, i dont see the issue. Simply respond as it states on the NIP that you arent the person they are looking for, and the car is unrecognised. Provide proof and let that be the end of it.

As for charging them for your time, good luck. You wont win that argument with them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Its over before its begun!!

They finally returned my call, this morning.

The vehicle was on hire, and the info supplied by the hirers, was a digit typo.

They are happy, that they had incorrect details, and have told me to bin the NIP.

I asked for them to confirm in writing, for my records, which they agreed.

Commone sense, and having the resources to counter check, the descrepency.

Wins the day.

Thanks for all the advise ......... and I'm glad, it did'nt escalate, towards the cautionary wisdom from prior posts.

I would have been most displeased!

They are happy, that they had incorrect details, and have told me to bin the NIP.

I asked for them to confirm in writing, for my records, which they agreed.

I'd wait for their letter before I binned it. :wink:

Agreed crem. But its a good result.

I agree also!

I'm hoping commone sense, and people doing their job properly, prevails

Is'nt it annoying, that a random document, through your letterbox

That has nothing to do with you.

Has the potential, to cause all sorts of problems.

Rediculas!

Definitley ridiculous, but mistakes do happen. However, when its as serious as that, its best to do everything by the book.

But it is not in the poster's name so he doesnt have to respond. Just sned it back not known at this address and have done with it. Whist we are at it, stop opening other people's post-that is a criminal offence.

An NIP is an official document with serious implecations if not returned correctly. You can be fined up to £1,000 for failure to respond to an NIP and have 6 points put on your licence..

You are required to provide any information you can to identify the driver of the vehicle at the time. Whilst no one here is disputing that you are entirely unrelated to the vehicle in question, if you fail to OFFICIALLY RESPOND to the NIP stating those reasons clearly, you may well be procecuted for failing to return the completed NIP. Should you be taken to court, why you didn't return the NIP may become academic to the judge!

But it is not in the poster's name so he doesnt have to respond. Just sned it back not known at this address and have done with it. Whist we are at it, stop opening other people's post-that is a criminal offence.

If that was true, then any NiP by your own logic can be sent back and avoided. As stated, YOU have to show/inform them that they have got it wrong.

Perfectly legal to return incorrectly addressed mail as not known at this address whether or not it contains a NIP - only the addressee is obliged to respond. Of course speed camera partnerships find that a surprisingly large number of NIPs seem to get returned as not known so these attract further investigation - God help you if it turns out that you are indeed known at that address.

IIRC it's only an offence to open mail addressed to someone else if you do so with the intention of acting to the detriment of that person - this obviously doesn't apply if you open it with the intent of ensuring it reaches its rightful owner.

I reserve the right, to open any mail, sent to my address

On the basis, of resposibility, to act in a manner, as to

inform the sender of, the failure, to reach it's intended recepient.

And yes, I do agree, with NIP's sent to your address

That you may have to prove, you are not the person stated.

It's a pain .......... is'nt it!

I can see, how something as minor as this,

could be turn out to be a right royal ......... Pain in the arse!

It has been an offence to interfere with her Majesty's mail since the General Letter Office act of 1666. Basically the address should be read upwards to ensure it is not incorrectly opened so the last barrier is the name of the person the letter is addressed to. Opening letters to ascertain the sender's address is the job of RM but we all do it at some time or another. I have sent back such letters addressed to my house and that was the end of the matter. English law does not require you to prove you are not someone, there is a standard burden of proof and that is upon the accuser.

Here it is - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84

(3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.
So opening an incorrectly delivered letter in order to return it to sender would seem to be legal, though writing "not known at this address" on the envelope and dropping it back into a letterbox also works.

As for being a pain, if a NIP addressed to Mr Black is sent to Mr White's address, Mr White would not commit any offence by binning it, other than possibly an obscure postal offence which would also apply to binning junk mail addresed to a previous occupier. However if there's no response Mr Black will be charged with failure to identify the driver and the summons will likely be sent to the same address. When Mr Black doesn't turn up in court he'll be convicted and fined in his absence, and when he doesn't pay the fine bailiffs will turn up on Mr White's doorstep looking for Mr Black and his assets. So while Mr White might not be doing anything illegal by ignoring the letters, sooner or later he'd have to engage with the system or face some serious hassle.

Thats What I was originally thinking, Aretnap.

In Theory, that could happen.

I reiceved, my "Further to our conversation" letter, this morning.

"Don't put down to malice ........ what you can put down to stupidity."

I tend to live by that, where officialdum, is concerend.