Complaint about stolen items from Holiday Inn

ju27next
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Advice needed on my rights. On a night out at the Holiday Inn Hotel, I put my coat (with phone in pocket) in the Hotels cloak room, they gave me a ticket for the coat. At the end of the night I went to collect my coat and it was missing, tried ringing the phone but it was switched off. At no time did the Hotel inform me the cloakroom was not manned or left unsecured, there were no signs up around the cloakroom. When we reported the missing coat the staff never mentioned the policy even though we asked if they had one. We went to the hotel the day after and again they never mentioned a policy, we asked to speak to the manager who was not available until the following day. I visited the following day and spoke to the manager who stated that they were not responsible for the theft and would only pay £50 compensation if found to be in the wrong.

The manager pointed out a small sign on reception two days after the coat was stolen, saying the maximum compensation was £50. However no other member of staff mentioned this or showed me the sign.

Is there anything I can do about this as the coat was worth about £150 and the phone was an iphone.

Of course, it will be their word against yours but on the basis of what you say, they are responsible for the safe keeping of the whole package and should compensate you for the lot.

You may have to sue them in the county court and if you decide to do this, then make sure you know what it involves and then enter into a brief dialogue with them and then sue. Don't let it draw out and don't muck around

By the way - not much good to you now, but if you used an Android phone, you could install an app which would withstand a factory reset and which would text you the number of the new SIM installed in it as well as forward you any texts or emails as well as numbers which were being called from the phone - as well as a GPS location.

You cannot do this with an iPhone.

If you used an Android phone you could install an app which allow you to record your calls automatically - and hear both sides clearly and without giving any audible warning that the call was being recorded.

You cannot to this with an iPhone.

If you used an Android phone you could install an app which allow you to record your calls automatically - and hear both sides clearly and without giving any audible warning that the call was being recorded.

You cannot to this with an iPhone.

Really?...name that app!!!...and the one you mentioned in your previous post.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Many thanks. They sound like apps nobody should be without.

Wish my memory wasn't so rusty but I can vaguely recall that it was a cloakroom incident that changed the effect of disclaimers. Basically no one can use a disclaimer to deny a claim for something they are legally liable for.

The incident was an expensive fur coat that was given to a cloakroom attendant and it was damaged by a cigarette burn. The defendant tried to deny liability by pointing out a disclaimer saying that they weren't responsible for any loss or damage to property left in the cloakroom. The Judge ruled that the defendants had caused damage to the coat that they were legally liable for and upheld the claim.

So my thinking is that you passed your coat to the cloakroom attendant and thereafter your property was in their care and control. You were given peace of mind that no one could claim your property without production of the supplied ticket. Nowhere at the premises or on the ticket did it state that your property would be left unattended at any time. You now hold them negligent in not ensuring the safety and security of your coat and possessions that you had entrusted to them.

I would suggest sending them a letter based on the above, stating the amount you are seeking in compensation, remind them that under the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977

2 Negligence liability.

(2)In the case of other loss or damage, a person cannot so exclude or restrict his liability for negligence except in so far as the term or notice satisfies the requirement of reasonableness.

and give them 14 days to send a payment for the full amount else you will be taking legal action.

They may pass to their insurers to deal with but if it falls within their excess, they may try to deal with it themselves.

The apps I use are Avast mobile anti-theft - needs root to defeat a factory reset. Root access is extremely easy with a Samsung Galaxy 2 or 3. I expect that it is very easy with other android phones as well.

Record my call

Both of these apps are free

Wish my memory wasn't so rusty but I can vaguely recall that it was a cloakroom incident that changed the effect of disclaimers. Basically no one can use a disclaimer to deny a claim for something they are legally liable for.

The incident was an expensive fur coat that was given to a cloakroom attendant and it was damaged by a cigarette burn. The defendant tried to deny liability by pointing out a disclaimer saying that they weren't responsible for any loss or damage to property left in the cloakroom. The Judge ruled that the defendants had caused damage to the coat that they were legally liable for and upheld the claim.

So my thinking is that you passed your coat to the cloakroom attendant and thereafter your property was in their care and control. You were given peace of mind that no one could claim your property without production of the supplied ticket. Nowhere at the premises or on the ticket did it state that your property would be left unattended at any time. You now hold them negligent in not ensuring the safety and security of your coat and possessions that you had entrusted to them.

I would suggest sending them a letter based on the above, stating the amount you are seeking in compensation, remind them that under the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977

2 Negligence liability.

(2)In the case of other loss or damage, a person cannot so exclude or restrict his liability for negligence except in so far as the term or notice satisfies the requirement of reasonableness.

and give them 14 days to send a payment for the full amount else you will be taking legal action.

They may pass to their insurers to deal with but if it falls within their excess, they may try to deal with it themselves.

Thanks for all the information, I'll try it.