Jump to content

sam joyce

Can I claim damage to my property via leakage

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2467 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts


I have a assured short hold tenancy for my flat I moved into in March last year with my wife.It is managed by a well known agent chain on behalf of the landlord in terms of repairs etc. The flat is a large old building and we are on the ground floor, it has a large storage area at the front of the flat which is underground under the main stair entrance to the upper building. Shortly after moving in and filling the storage area (which had been newly tanked and vinyl floored) began dripping in water substantially when it rained. We went through a long period of having to be insistent the agent arrange to have someone come to see it and repair the leaks eventually I chased the contractors myself and apparently the leak was repaired as the works they carried out (concreting the cracks and gaps on the ground level outside) seems to stop it.


Just before Christmas we entered the store room to find excessive water coming in through drips in the ceiling 10 times worse than before, we have wrapped our things in plastic and moved out what we can but it is the only real storage space in the property so we can really bring everything out. I rang the agent and told them we needed to get it repaired as an emergency but although they sent someone round to survey it we have had no action...we now have a de-humidifier in there to help hold off the damp and I go in and mop it.


So.....Are we able to claim for damaged goods from this leak as much of our things have become mouldy, we dont have property insurance as we have high out-goings and are desperate to keep bills down. Should I inform the agent this will be the case ongoing until it is repaired. The landlord has been good about it and has asked the agent to do what needs to be done to fix this but they are very slow to act if at all and our things are getting damaged!...could I charge them for storage of our things?.

The storage room comes off of our babies room and there is signs of damp in the ceiling there too which concerns us.


Many thanks for any help



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...