help! so confused

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have about 5 debts totaling 3k and i am trying to clear my credit file so i will be able to obtain a mortgagelink3.gif in the future,

The problem i am having is that no matter how many times i request a copy of paperwork stating what the debt is for

and a Breakdownlink3.gif of charges i am always told on the phone they will send this and it never arrives

i send letters and get no response and if i email i get an auto reply saying we will reply in X days (some quoting upto 28)

is their any way i can approach the credit referance agencys and ask they to remove these debts as they in effect wont let me pay them as they wont tell me what they are for!

also how do i get linked address's removeD?

or at least the correct dates for living in each property sorted?

i know an ex partner applied for some things with out my consent and it has so many different times on their!

Also if a company has repeatedly searched my credit file how do i get these removed?

i am completely baffled by the whole scenario and i dont know what do to!

its the same as anything you wouldnt pay for it without kbnowing exactly what you are paying for

this is stressing me right out and i just wanted it sorted out and clear as soon as possible! Thank you smile.png

Hello,

Send a subject access request under the data protection act to the "data controller" of the company(s) you have debt(s) with.

Search this site for a template letter and further instructions.

This will compel the recipient to send a copy of all the data they hold about you within 40 days.

If the template letter doesn't say so, add that you require your statements.

This should answer all your questions about what constitutes your debts so that you can decide to pay, challenge or a combination of the two.

The credit reference agencies are unlikely to remove debts without the say-so of the creditor.

They should however tidy up your linked addresses if they are incorrect.

They did this recently for me and it was simply a case of writing to them and telling them.

They did it within a couple of weeks.

FFP

My Background: I am not legally trained so the advice I offer is as a result of my experiences in business and being dragged through a bankruptcy process by a leading London law firm over a debt that turned out to be false. I won as a litigant in person :-)

i have about 5 debts totaling 3k and i am trying to clear my credit file so i will be able to obtain a mortgage in the future,

The problem i am having is that no matter how many times i request a copy of paperwork stating what the debt is for

and a breakdown of charges i am always told on the phone they will send this and it never arrives

i send letters and get no response and if i email i get an auto reply saying we will reply in X days (some quoting upto 28)

is their any way i can approach the credit referance agencys and ask they to remove these debts as they in effect wont let me pay them as they wont tell me what they are for!

i know an ex partner applied for some things with out my consent and it has so many different times on their!

Also if a company has repeatedly searched my credit file how do i get these removed?

its the same as anything you wouldnt pay for it without kbnowing exactly what you are paying for

this is stressing me right out and i just wanted it sorted out and clear as soon as possible! Thank you :)

who are you ringing?

list the debts on the cra file please

and

default date.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Do not ring your creditors. Keep everything in writing. If you feel you have to speak to them, make sure you record the call.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

There are many steps you can take, but in the first instance, I would send each of the companys you are "alleged" to owe money too, a "Subject Acess Report" request. There is a "legal requirment" under the Consumer Credit act for them to reply to this request within 40 days of them reciving the request. If they ignor it, they are breaking the law, and can be reported to the information commisioners office. This SAR request will require them to give you all of the information they have on your account, but remember to send the letter recorded post ( you can find a copy of a template letter in the CAG library ).

Companys can search your credit file as often as they like, but these searches are very often not recorded, meaning that only you can see them when checking your file.

Linked addresses stay on the Experian credit file for 8 years. You can write to the credit refference agencys to ask them to remove any "Duplicate" addresses. I am not sure if the other 2 credit refference agencys have the same 8 year policy. You can also ask for them to change the electoral roll dates if you think that they have got the wrong dates you lived at a particular address ( they may ask for proof )

Try not to deal with creditors over the phone ( as you need to have everything in writing, and you have more control over the situation by having everything in black and white ). Make a file of all the letters you send and recive for each seperate case.

You have to be prepared to be in this for the long haul, because the process of cleaning up you credit file is a long one, but will be worth it in the end.

Edited by markstone

Agreed, never ring DCA's unless your recording the calls and are confident in dealing with them, or baiting them!.

Any entry on your credit file will remain their for 6 years, unless it is incorrect you won't get it removed.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

if a DCA cant prove why or how i owe the debt can i add a note or request a credit ref agency removes this or the DCA removes it? if a DCA refuses to remove something paid what can i do? what can i do if they refuse to move something that hasnt been paid but is in dispute or they cant prove i owe?

ok slow down

WHO is chasing these debts?

please list them

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

4 threads merged

please keep to this one thread

dx

and they

Have you checked your credit file to see if any of these debts are listed, and if they are, are the companies chasing you the companies that actually own the debt.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I think that we had better get one thing straight to begin with.

All the advice you are being given here is good and you should follow it closely. But you need to understand that you won't be able to clear your credit file just by clearing your debts. I'm afraid that it doesn't work that way at all. You may be able to clear any entries which have been placed there wrongfully - but other than that the other entries will be marked as settled and then you will have to wait until your file clears itself about 6 years after each debt is cleared.

I'm afraid that this is the way that it works and there is precious little anyone can do about it - as unfair as it might sound.

Wescot, advantis, past due, hamptons xx

all of those are not the original creditors so they are either chancing their arm or they own the debts

they are all DCA's and are NOT bailiffs so have no such legal powers.

can you list the debt as they show on your CRA file please

and give the defaulted dates too

and p'haps when you open the accounts

dx

and they

i have about 5 debts totaling 3k and i am trying to clear my credit file so i will be able to obtain a mortgagelink3.gif in the future,

and a Breakdownlink3.gif of charges i am always told on the phone they will send this and it never arrives

this is stressing me right out and i just wanted it sorted out and clear as soon as possible! Thank you smile.png

You are making the biggest and most common mistake in using the telephone, you will not get information this way.

Requests for information such as asking for a copy of an agreement need to be in the proper form and a statutory fee is payable eg £1.00 dor thw CCA request and £10.00 for a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Credit reference agencies act only on information provided by your creditors and or the debt purchasers and debt collection agencies.

The CRAs cannot amend or remove the data they are provided as to the debts reported, you MUST contact the Compny that has placed the entry .

You can place notices of dispute on entries you disagree with and correct any errors on addresses by writting to the CRAs Data Controller.

As to the removal of default entrie this is not easy a CRA entry has to be ACCURATE, and UP TO DATE, you must have very good reasons for contesting the entries and the proof to substanciate your claims.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: