Income Support / Carer's Allowance Query

Skywalker77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a question that has sort of stumped me. Do you need carer's allowance to be able to claim income support as a carer? Or can IS be claimed without having carer's allowance as long as the caree has AA or DLA (mid to high). I'm not talking about the carer premium, just the basic income support. I couldn't find any information previously about this, just the usual claim CA and top up with IS.

Just a question that has sort of stumped me. Do you need carer's allowance to be able to claim income support as a carer? Or can IS be claimed without having carer's allowance as long as the caree has AA or DLA (mid to high). I'm not talking about the carer premium, just the basic income support. I couldn't find any information previously about this, just the usual claim CA and top up with IS.

You can put in a claim to carer's allowance and income support at the same time, (you make the IS claim on the basis you are a carer), but yes you will need to also claim carer's allowance. Is there a reason you can't?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Yes. He has a basic personal allowance (everyone does) due to his age, any other income, savings, etc. He then receives a severe disability addition due to receiving mid or high rate care DLA / Attendance Allowance, no-one living with him (certain groups of people are ignored) and no-one receiving carers allowance for looking after him. If someone does receive carers allowance, he'll lose this money.