Mis-sold a Car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. i hope there is someone who can help with this.

Me and my partner recently bought a used car from a vauxhall dealership. A first viewing the car, we asked the salesman (sadly we didnt get his name), if it were possible to connect the phone to the car. he said it was possible. we looked through the window and could see there was a "phone" button on the radio and controls on the steering wheel. Although we didnt know how it would connect, Ie usb, bluetooth, etc, we didn't think about it again. a few days later we purchased the car, but on getting it home and trying to connect i had to look on the internet, only to find out, there was no way to connect the phone. all the buttons are there but nothing.

I asked the garage about it, and they said they could fit a parrot, at a cost to us of £250. Also if they fitted it the sterring controls that are already there wont be compatible.

Now looking back through the adverts i cant find anything that says it has a usb connection or a bluetooth connection. it was solely based on the first salesmans word. Both me and my partner were present when he told us this, along with a friend of mine who is a little bit more car davy.

any ideas what i can do? any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

:confused: extremely confused :confused:

Just a side note.

We woud prefer not to return the car now. soley because of the cost involved with things like he insurance. If we cancel the insurance or want to amend it, we would be out of pocket.

BT is an optional extra on Vauxhalls. Can we assume you bought second hand? the salesman was probably being truthful when he stated it is possible to connect the phone to the car, however did he say that it would then work? I lump politicians and salesmen in the same category. When their lips move, they are lying. :wink:

I did buy second hand. It's not that it doesn't work. It's completely not installed. A little digging says that the steering wheel is a standard one across the range and there all the same even if its not fitted. There seems to me to be no possible to actually connect the phone. Surely it's been mis-sold or something?

Were you specific about the phone operating through the car's audio system i.e using Bluetooth (BT) or did you just ask if the phone will work with the car? He could quite easily say that you can charge the phone etc. My thoughts are that he saw the "Phone" button and assumed it was already installed without checking.

I am by no means defending the salesman as we got caught out with an iPad 2 recently and BT. I would go back to the garage and state that you think the car was mis-sold as you were told that the phone could be used with the car's audio system. Ask them if they can come to some agreement on paying towards the parrot system. BTW I was quoted £199 for our previous vehicle so ther may be cheaper options elsewhere.

I have been to the garage and explained about it, but they seem ignorant to it. Each time I go there, they say that as it wasn't them that said it, then they cant help. But seem unhelpful in letting me talk to the guy that said it.

Also this is 1 of many problems i have had with the car. But credit where credits due, they have sorted most of them out. I have a meeting with the sales manager tomorrow, so any advice before then, would be greatly appreciated.

The thing about the PARROT is i don't want it. I would hate the thought of them sticking the thing to my dash, when there are already buttons and controls there. Now this is where it gets awkward. Vauxhall themselves don't retrofit the proper system, and state that it cant be done. However there are companies out there that can do it, but the cheapest is £295. Would i be completely wrong in asking them for a proportion if not all of this amount. (i say all, as the closest one to me is a good 70 miles away, and i would have to foot the cost of the travel and time and what not). Or am i just being stupid?

I have been to the garage and explained about it, but they seem ignorant to it. Each time I go there, they say that as it wasn't them that said it, then they cant help. But seem unhelpful in letting me talk to the guy that said it.

Also this is 1 of many problems i have had with the car. But credit where credits due, they have sorted most of them out. I have a meeting with the sales manager tomorrow, so any advice before then, would be greatly appreciated.

The thing about the PARROT is i don't want it. I would hate the thought of them sticking the thing to my dash, when there are already buttons and controls there. Now this is where it gets awkward. Vauxhall themselves don't retrofit the proper system, and state that it cant be done. However there are companies out there that can do it, but the cheapest is £295. Would i be completely wrong in asking them for a proportion if not all of this amount. (i say all, as the closest one to me is a good 70 miles away, and i would have to foot the cost of the travel and time and what not). Or am i just being stupid?

Vauxhall probably do not retrofit it for a very good reason. If an outside company does a retrofit it may affect your warranty. Also remember that the outside company will need to tap into the car's software and if they mess up, you will have a serious problem on your hands. You have obviously managed up to now without a phone connection in the car, so may be best not to be other which is what I would do as I asked myself what did we do before the advent of mobile phones?

Go back to the dealer one last time, ask to speak to the Principle Dealer - insist, do not accept any brush offs or other dealers - only the Prinicple Dealer wil do, makes sure they prove they are the Principle Dealer. Explain everything to the Principle Dealer and ask them what they are prepared to do (meet you half way with retro fit cost etc) to preserve the reputation of their company.