style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2433 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there,

Im hoping to get some help with a Vodafone default Ive just received as I dont think its fair and Im not sure how to proceed.

This is the sequence of events so far:

September 2012, I opted to change my provider from Vodafone to Orange, as my signal on Vodafone was poor and had been since I moved to my new house three years ago. At this point I had been a Vodafone customer without missing a payment for more than 8 years. I held three lines with them, 1 for my phone and 2 for mine and my wifes iPads. The iPads I wanted to keep active as they still had some time left to run, but the phone contract was expiring so I took the opportunity to move to Orange and get a proper signal in my village.

October 2012, I received a letter from Vodafone advising me that I had missed a payment on my iPad accounts and that the full balance for both contracts was now due. A sum of £749.39 was payable immediately. I phoned Vodafone up and tried to make payment but did not have my account number (I was at work at the time and didnt have the letter they sent me). I had my iPad with me but it does not have the phone number contained in the settings (like the agent I spoke said it should). We spent half an hour on the phone which left my incredibly frustrated because despite me trying to pay they said they could not locate my account details and therefore it was not possible to pay. When I asked what I could do they told me there was nothing I could do until I had the phone number.

November 2012, I got a text alert from Experian alerting me to a change in my payment history. I logged in to my credit report at credit expert and discovered that Vodafone had reported I had missed a payment on my account. I phoned again immediately to try and resolve the issue and had the same problem as before. I didnt know my account number, they couldnt find my phone number and searches on my name and address yielded no results at all. Again a hugely frustrating phone call in which the agent told me there was nothing they could do.

December 2012, Same as November. I got an alert from Experian, I phoned Vodafone to make payment again and again nothing could be done. At this point I decided to take matters into my own hands because I was clearly getting nowhere with the agents on the phone. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a store manager for Vodafone in the south of England. She said that she could get my mobile number with the IMEI number off the sim card, something that not one of the agents I spoke to advised me. Armed with my IMEI number she was able to get my account number.

January 2013, I contacted Vodafone with my account number and attempted to pay them again. After 45 minutes on the phone and being transferred through FOUR different departments I eventually ended up speaking to Credit Control who advised me they could not take the payment as the account had been passed to a debt collection agency. The gave me the details which I called immediately and made payment. The payment was for £849.39 because the collection agency had added a £100 fee.

The payment was made on the 10th January. I checked my credit report that day and there was no default showing. On the 11th January I woke up to find another text from Experian advising me of a change. Upon checking my credit report I discovered the status of my payment history had been changed to "Default" and my score has dropped through the floor.

I phoned Vodafone up and spoke to their Credit Control department again. I put forward my case that I had phoned on several occasions to make payment but had had no success. The lady said there are many ways to pay that include paying in slips and over the counter at Barclays. I told her that I bank with Barclays and would have had no problem paying over the counter had I been told that was an option. None of the three agents I spoke to advised me that there were other payment options. Ultimately she went away to speak to her supervisor to see if there was anything else that could be done but came back with bad news. She said that because they had sent me a letter back in September with my account number on it they would not be able to remove the default.

I think this default is hugely unfair and it will drastically affect my ability to buy a house (something my wife and I were planning to do this year). I feel I have made efforts to try and pay Vodafone and that in order to resolve this issue I have had to go outside of their processes and borrow a favour from a friend of mine.

Is there anything I can do about this? Do I even have a case here or should I have done more?

Id appreciate any and all advice on this as its deeply upset my wife who has talked about nothing more than buying a house for the last two years!

Kind Regards

Dil

1st get the web relations team to try to help

Follow this advice

Hi CAG members,

We thought it would be nice to introduce ourselves and to assure you all that our presence on CAG is with the very best of intentions.

vodafone UK has recently introduced a dedicated Web Relations Team which is keen to seek out customers who’re having difficulties with their accounts and feel that they have no other place to turn to than CAG and other consumer forums and blogs.

Naturally, it’s not possible for us to help directly with account specific queries on CAG and as such we would encourage those members who feel we can help them to contact us privately at eforum.web@help.vodafone.co.uk

quoting ‘WRT135 – CAG Forum’ in the

subject line to ensure that it reaches the Web Relations Team.

When emailing us we would also ask that you either provide us with a link to your post or thread – if you’ve posted in another member’s thread please also provide your CAG username so that we can check what your query is.

I'm confident that common sense will prevail here!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

1st get the web relations team to try to help

Follow this advice

I'm confident that common sense will prevail here!

Thank you for the reply Locutus. I'll be sure to contact their web relations team and ask for help.

Kind regards

Dil

Hi Dil,

Thanks for making me aware of this and for following the advice provided by locutus.

Having checked our emails I can confirm that I've got yours and so rest assured that I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thanks Lee.

Can you give me a call please? You asked in your email when would be convenient and I replied but have not heard back yet. I can take a call from you whenever you want.

Kind Regards

Dil

Hi Lee,

Thank you for your PM. Unfortunately I am not able to send PMs as I have not made 30 posts yet (a little tempted to post some dummy posts in here!).

Completely understand why you cant call today. Im available all day monday if you could call me then?

Kind Regards

Dil

Hi Lee,

Ive just received an email telling me that my latest bill is now available online despite all three of my lines being cancelled and every penny I owe being paid!

Please can you look into this for me as I am unable to log in online (presumably because I am no longer a customer?)

Regards

Dil

Hi Dil,

You can disregard the email you've recently received here.

Please be assured that I'll get back to you as soon as possible regarding your original query.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Lee,

Ive just received a letter from Vodafone informing me that I have paid my bill twice and that I am now £849 in credit with you.

This whole situation is getting ridiculous now and I really am losing patience with it.

Can you please call me to discuss this.

Many thanks

Dil

Thank you Lee. I will be in a meeting between 2-3 but will be available anytime after that.

Kind Regards

Dil

Hi Lee,

My meeting has moved to 3-4 so am available now or anytime after 4.

Kind regards

Dil

Well thats that I guess.

After a few calls with Lee he has got back to me with the message from his Quality Assurance team that they wont be removing the default because the letter they sent me in October had my account number on, regardless of the phone calls I made to pay.

He also said that I missed three payments running up to that letter being sent. I thought I was on top of those payments and received no letters from them about it. Equally, my credit report does not reflect the fact that I missed those payments. The first missed payment on my credit report was the October payment.

So three years of rebuilding my credit score by clearing my debt and making my payments on time wiped out with one default because I didnt have a letter on me when I called to pay and the agents couldnt find my account. Great.

I guess I could use the 6 years itll be on my report to dissuade as many people as possible from ever joining Vodafone.

The account number was on their letter but you didn't have it with you

Your name and address were on their system but they couldn't / wouldn't find you

Sounds like it's not your fault to me. You attempted to pay, they wouldn't / failed to accept payment.

Those were my thoughts as well 2Grumpy, but Im presuming there is little or nothing else I can do now other than add a notice of correction to my report.

I wonder if its worth seeking some sort of legal counsel?

I noted in another thread that you can escalate issues to Guy Laurence, the UK CEO for Vodafone. So thats what I've done.

*Waits with baited breath*

Get more advice & consider the small claims court ...

Get more advice & consider the small claims court ...

Is the small claims court the right place to go? Ive been doing some reading here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/law_e/law_legal_system_e/law_taking_legal_action_e/small_claims.htm

and the small claims court seems to be for financial disputes. I dont want any money from Vodafone, I just want them to remove the default from my credit report because I dont think its fair.