Abandonned vehicle

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a question for anyone with information on the following scenario .

I have noticed a car, all tyres are flat , tax expired back in July and has been sat in a car park for at least 7 months.

My question is , if I contact the dvla to put the log book in my name and the owner does not respond can I claim the vehicle if the log book v5 comes back in my name?

I have hpi on the vehicle and it's not stolen or anything like this.

It's obvious it's been left there to rot, and if I can get the v5 in my name after trying to contact the previous owner, as the dvla have done, then can I remove it obviously with the car park owners permission .

If you have SOLID and GUARANTEED advice please let me know as I don't want to break the laws

Thankyou

how can you put the log book in your name?

you need to have the previuos owners part to say he has sold it to you. you just cant claim it!

it will be up to the car park owners/council to dispose of, via statute notice.

Ring one of them buy cars for scrap people in the local paper. I did once, told them I had no paperwork and they did not really care. Picked it up, took it away and gave me £50 for my trouble.

Of course it helped that like yours it was no good for anything except scrap.

how can you put the log book in your name?

you need to have the previuos owners part to say he has sold it to you. you just cant claim it!

it will be up to the car park owners/council to dispose of, via statute notice.

You can apply for a log book hence the dvla contact the previous keeper

Just to clarify !!!!!

If I get the owners details and contact him about buying the car and get no response or cannot be traced.... How do I go about legally acquiring the vehicle .......it's covered in dust and is out of tax by 8 months and has definately been left for dead..... But I would like it!!!!!

You can't just "claim" somebody else's car!

My initial post said can anybody WHO KNOWS HOW TO LEGALLY DO IT.... So far somebody has said you can't obtain a log book without the keeper signing it, wrong you can if it's been lost they contact the owner who's on the dvla records first. You find a watch in the street hand it into a police station if not claimed its yours, you find a piece of land fence it off , after a certain amount of time it's yours. You find a dog , you taje it to a shelter, if nobody claims it it's yours ...... HOW DOES IT WORK WITH A VEHICLE ?

This isn't a lost watch or a boundary dispute though...

Do you actually know how to go about claiming the vehicle or not? I am seeking advice on the matter, not you can't do this you can't do that. I am hoping for informed advice has to how I can proceed

Hmmmm.....I suggest that if you are not getting the advice you are demanding from the kind people that give that advice free of charge in their own time then you contact a solicitor who will tell you the legal situation.

Shouting at people on here will get you nowhere.

Do you actually know how to go about claiming the vehicle or not? I am seeking advice on the matter, not you can't do this you can't do that. I am hoping for informed advice has to how I can proceed

I have told you already. You can't.

Hmmmm.....I suggest that if you are not getting the advice you are demanding from the kind people that give that advice free of charge in their own time then you contact a solicitor who will tell you the legal situation.

Shouting at people on here will get you nowhere.

I agree:yo:

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

The car is the LA's responsibility and, for these purposes, the LA can be considered to be the "owners". I say that because the LA controls what happens to the car - they can move, store, destroy, or sell the car if they want to - and can recover any costs from the real owner (if they can find them).

Before anyone can take control of the car they have to exhaust all reasonable enquiries to find the owner.

* You would have to find out the last keeper, contact them and find out who they sold it to or who they gave it to.

* You would then have to trace that second person and follow the trail until you run out of people to contact.

* It may be on false plates, so you would have to check the chassis number to see if it matched the reg number.

* If it came up as a different vehicle, then you would have to start the whole process again - contacting the police and LA to make enquiries based on the new information.

* You would have to keep good records of all the enquiries that you made - in case you were challenged about it.

It's highly unlikely that previous owners will give information, but they have no option but to answer questions from an official like a police officer, DVLA investigator, local authority investigator etc.

In normal circumstances, the police encourage finders of lost/abandoned property to keep it. If it remains unclaimed after a certain length of time (depending on part of the country), it's the finders'. This is not the case with cars and some other categories of property. You can probably guess why - it's because control of the car goes to the local authority and loads of enquiries need to be completed before it can be declared ownerless.

I read this in another forum, can't claim credit for it, nor can I vouch for it's accuracy

scotgal 

Yeah think that's the best bet ... Also found this ...

Best Answer

Yes, if you stick to the following procedure:

Transport the vehicle to a safe place, on private land.

Inform the police that you have done so, giving your name, address and phone number, the registration number and V.I.N. of the vehicle, and the current location of the vehicle.

Contact the D.V.L.A. with the same information.

(The police and the D.V.L.A. will then attempt to find the registered keeper).

If the registered keeper cannot be traced after 30 days, you can legally apply for a V5 in your own name.

Source(s):

Been there, done it.

Answer by Nightwrath 5 years ago Report Abuse

100% 1 Vote