Poll Tax 2 even bigger cuts to Council Tax benefit

osdset
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree more cuts are probably on the way.

Whilst I think the AAA rating thing has discredited osborne it seems he is using it as an excuse to do further cuts. Whilst a braindead press never ask the question if we so much in deficit why are the government cutting taxes.

yeah it doesnt need to be that complex, it seems my council is deliberatly making it hard to find out.

I'm used to reading social security regs, and this seems to be really obfuscating. Most regs are relatively easy to follow once you get used it them, but this.... From what I can make out, non pensioners pay a min 20% but after any single person discount (I think, as they refer to discouts under the 1992 gov finance act, which covers single person discounts - I think, council tax is not my area).

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I'm used to reading social security regs, and this seems to be really obfuscating. Most regs are relatively easy to follow once you get used it them, but this.... From what I can make out, non pensioners pay a min 20% but after any single person discount (I think, as they refer to discouts under the 1992 gov finance act, which covers single person discounts - I think, council tax is not my area).

Thank you, I appreciate you have spent the time reading it for me.

Thank you, I appreciate you have spent the time reading it for me.

Well, I didn't read all of it - would've turned me batty - just the relevant bits about the minimum payment (or what they call the maximum deduction).

There wont likely be riots at all, when the poll tax riots happened we hadn't been in a recession like we are now? People are already tired now, don't have the energy for the fight & the government did it slowly enough to know that. Homelessness will go up & that wont be a problem for sCameron, long gone are the days when Anyone cared. When I was telling my mum that my income will go down £400 per month when my son leaves 6th form this yr, she said 'they' wont let people struggle that much surely, I laughed & said you're kidding?

My mum bought 3 kids up on benefits, she's in her 60's now. The cost of living has gone up a LOT since those days. I got by okish on 1k a month when I claimed IS 5 yrs ago, that incl DLA & carers for my son. I will likely be on less than that working full time self employed with 2 teens, 1 at college & 1 of which I am not holding out much hope of finding employment soon (not that I have said that to him of course but I am a realist)

the 3 main differences in how support will be calculated in Leicester appear to be: -

1. no support if you have capital over £6k
  2. if in a band A or B property, maximum support is 80% of charge
  3. if in a band C (or higher) property, maximum support is 80 % of band B charge

the above differences only apply to working age claimants

also overpayments no longer exist, so if the Council overpays you, they can always claim it back from you - this applies to both working age and pensioners

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

the 3 main differences in how support will be calculated in Leicester appear to be: -

3. if in a band C (or higher) property, maximum support is 80 % of band B charge

also overpayments no longer exist, so if the Council overpays you, they can always claim it back from you - this applies to both working age and pensioners

Thanks, I just skipped to the highlights.

we shall see jadeybags...desperate people often find the strength in numbers. disabled went on protest marches not that long ago over atos. your right though they don't care and will let people suffer as much as they can...its got to be fought

we shall see jadeybags...desperate people often find the strength in numbers. disabled went on protest marches not that long ago over atos. your right though they don't care and will let people suffer as much as they can...its got to be fought

Do you remember the London riots last year? All the facebook groups started up called 'stop the riots'? I wont be joining them this time. In fact I doubt there would be any groups started. Where is it gonna end? What do people do that are disabled & can't earn any extra money??? I assume Universal credit, which will make it pretty much impossible to commit benefit fraud, has been bought in just in time to stop people doing what they have to, to get by. And no I don't condone benefit fraud....

I know jadebags, the thought of riots is scary and I wouldn't like to see it, but same as you I wouldn't be joining any anti's. sadly I don't think the last lot of riots will be anything compared to what could come, peoples lives are being wrecked here now, homes being lost, no jobs to apply for really lets be honest, more being lost than created, I have bipolar disorder and fibromyalgia and I struggle to get through the day a lot, in pain, foggy brain, fatigue, the list is endless, how I will ever get a job or how I would ever keep one is beyond me, I couldn't do it, I wouldn't cope, but me and goodness knows how many others will suffer for being ill. I really worry as I would likely explode, I cant handle stress at all, my anxiety is like 0-100 in seconds, especially after a night of no or little sleep due to pain and pins and needles. my family are concerned about how this is all going to affect me and fear a decline in my health even further. I hope people do fight this govt, they are corrupt and a disgraceful bunch of hypocritical lying clowns

I have looked also now, I will find out soon I guess if its just a max limit of 80% support or if people who previously had under 80% still get reduced support.

Do you remember the London riots last year? All the facebook groups started up called 'stop the riots'? I wont be joining them this time. In fact I doubt there would be any groups started. Where is it gonna end? What do people do that are disabled & can't earn any extra money??? I assume Universal credit, which will make it pretty much impossible to commit benefit fraud, has been bought in just in time to stop people doing what they have to, to get by. And no I don't condone benefit fraud....

Those riots highlighted how much society has changed.

If there is any riots over benefit cuts, it will be more like protests then riots, I think it wont even come close to what we had last year.

Last year also the rioters had no affect on policy, cameron even came out stating they will all be treated like criminals and banged up etc. The government didnt even blink.

yes that's true worried33, and they were awful and as I said before scary. I do think tho as well that protests will happen and how fevered they get is yet to be seen. the govt had a lot of support re those riots ...but these protests would likely be widespread with all ages from sections of the community, against govt cuts...not the same situation as the riots, and I get a sense that the govt will dig its claws into anyone who dares push it, they blatantly couldn't care less and feel as if they are untouchable, the elite standing together, whilst the rest of us can rot, is how I feel now. am not going to comment further, its too much for me to keep a civil tongue I feel so strongly wronged by this govt, as so many others are and worse off than me too. it makes me ill to ponder too much....but I will go down fighting in a legal way

Yes because the media and the Government always manage to make it sound like the **** of the earth looting.

So any public support is soon lost.

But talk to anyone and they are all sick of the way things are - but really, what can we do.

Is it worth losing the benefits we have to end up with nothing - cannot see the Government budging an inch on welfare - only getting tougher.

They seem to think they have right on their side to make the sick suffer.

All in all we have become a faceless society that gives not a damn.

It upsets me Ruby, does not take much suffering from depression.

I feel invisible and totally lost.

Yes because the media and the Government always manage to make it sound like the **** of the earth looting.

So any public support is soon lost.

But talk to anyone and they are all sick of the way things are - but really, what can we do.

Is it worth losing the benefits we have to end up with nothing - cannot see the Government budging an inch on welfare - only getting tougher.

They seem to think they have right on their side to make the sick suffer.

All in all we have become a faceless society that gives not a damn.

It upsets me Ruby, does not take much suffering from depression mind.

I feel invisible and totally lost.

I have looked also now, I will find out soon I guess if its just a max limit of 80% support or if people who previously had under 80% still get reduced support.

Worried33

working age people (in Leicester) currently receiving partial council tax benefit, will also get an additional cut of at least 20%

assuming you are living alone in a band A or B property, then the following examples might help you understand the changes

based upon a council tax charge for your property was £20 per week before any discount, and £15 per week after 25% discount

Example 1 - for those on income based benefits or receiving full CTB

current arrangement - they would receive full council tax benefit of £15 per week

new arrangement - they would receive maximum council tax reduction of £12 per week, leaving them to pay £3.00 per week

Example 2 - for those not receiving full CTB as their assessed income is £20 above their applicable amount

current arrangement - they would receive partial council tax benefit of £11 per week, leaving them to pay £4.00 per week

new arrangement - they would receive partial council tax reduction of £8 per week, leaving them to pay £7.00 per week

Example 3 - for those not receiving full CTB as their assessed income is £45 above their applicable amount

current arrangement - they would receive partial council tax benefit of £6 per week, leaving them to pay £9.00 per week

new arrangement - they would have been entitled to a partial council tax reduction of £3 per week (however if anybody is entitled to less than £3.55 per week, they get nothing) - so this would leave them to pay the full council tax charge of £15.00 per week

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

the benefits we have will be nothing....the bedroom tax...the council tax benefit reduction....only the tip of the iceberg with a tory govt. they have only just started believe me.

Worried33

working age people (in Leicester) currently receiving partial council tax benefit, will also get an additional cut of at least 20%

assuming you are living alone in a band A or B property, then the following examples might help you understand the changes

based upon a council tax charge for your property was £20 per week before any discount, and £15 per week after 25% discount

Example 1 - for those on income based benefits or receiving full CTB

current arrangement - they would receive full council tax benefit of £15 per week

new arrangement - they would receive maximum council tax reduction of £12 per week, leaving them to pay £3.00 per week

Example 2 - for those not receiving full CTB as their assessed income is £20 above their applicable amount

current arrangement - they would receive partial council tax benefit of £11 per week, leaving them to pay £4.00 per week

new arrangement - they would receive partial council tax reduction of £8 per week, leaving them to pay £7.00 per week

Example 3 - for those not receiving full CTB as their assessed income is £45 above their applicable amount

current arrangement - they would receive partial council tax benefit of £6 per week, leaving them to pay £9.00 per week

new arrangement - they would have been entitled to a partial council tax reduction of £3 per week (however if anybody is entitled to less than £3.55 per week, they get nothing) - so this would leave them to pay the full council tax charge of £15.00 per week

ok thanks thats exactly the info I was looking for, yet it was so crypted and hidden.

So basically a £3 a week drop to anyone entitled and if goes below the min weekly limit of £3.55 a week they have no entitlement.

One reason I asked for this info and I suspect is also the reason my council have not published it in clear wording is I plan to now raise an earliy dispute with my council over the lawfulness of the amount. If it drops me below "the law says you need to live on" I will go legal on it. But it is possible it wont drop me below that because there is a buffer between existing entitlement and that figure. Obviously anyone tho who was already on that amount such as IB JSA will now go below that number.

Edited by worried33

ok thanks thats exactly the info I was looking for, yet it was so crypted and hidden.

So basically a £3 a week drop to anyone entitled and if goes below the min weekly limit of £3.55 a week they have no entitlement.

the £3.00 reduction is based upon a charge of £15.00 per week

do you know how much your actual council tax charge is?

Yep, id6052 is the guy to go to for the definitive scoop on hb/ctb.

the £3.00 reduction is based upon a charge of £15.00 per week

do you know how much your actual council tax charge is?

There is a £3 reduction in all your examples.

For a single person in band A in leciester its not much higher than £15 a week depending on how its calculated.

If calculated over 10 months (the council split payments and ctb into period of april to january.) then its slightly over £15 per week. If over a 12 month period its less than £15 per week.

I only have my council tax bill from 2009, so I dont have up to date figures.

Based on what you posted and that my excess income is currently £5.80 a week (I think).

It was higher on IB but I think ESA has a highly weekly applicable amount.

I am on ESA SG with IB topup.

So £110.85 but normally would be £105.05.

Is it £5.80 a week excess?

Previously my excess was the age addition on IB which is how my this year's ctb was calculated.