Conniff

OFT to act on unfair gym membership contracts

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2470 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

We have known for a long time of the problems with Gym membership and helped a lot of Gym members to successfully cancel the unfair contract. Now, at last, the OFT are 'saying' they are going to do something about it.

"

Gyms will be forced to drop unfair conditions in their membership contracts.

For those yet to act on a new year's resolution to join a gym, the best advice may be to sit tight for a few more weeks. Lengthy contracts with conditions that make it almost impossible to bail out early could be a thing of the past after a crackdown by the Office of Fair Trading."

More ...

Edited by Conniff

From The Guardian article :-

At the end of January the watchdog is expected to take action on contracts that are longer than 12 months and those that do not contain a get-out clause, such as losing your job or sustaining an injury.

Nothing I can see yet on the OFT site about this so we shall have to see if the Guardian's Crystal Ball is accurate................

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I can't see why you would need a 12 month (or longer) contract on something like a gym. A mobile phone account where the phone is practically free and they recoup on the monthly fee I can understand.

I bet if all members turned up, there wouldn't be enough equipment to go around and a lot of paid up members wouldn't even be able to do any training as they are more than likely oversubscribed anyway.

I recon anything the oft comes out with will be weak and not really of any financial use to anyone. Just like with the banks when it just gave up, either the OFT is structurally weak or the people that run it.