Carers Allowance Payments

banksters
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Not sure if this can be dealt with here, if not please delete! Thanks :p

My wife claims Carers Allowance for my father. He receives Pension Credit and State Pension (if that's how it is broken down).

Since my wife has claimed Carer's Allowance I have had my money reduced by the same amount from my ESA, which is what we expected to happen - in other words we are not financially gaining as far as I can tell.

Today my father had a letter from the Pension Service advising him that his pension Credit will be reduced by the same amount as the Carer's Allowance my wife claims for him.

So they are taking the amount of Carer's Allowance from my income (full amount) and from his. Surely they can't take the same money of both of us? Any help if possible will be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

The money they're taking away from him sounds like a severe disability premium. You can't claim the severe disability premium and someone claim carers allowance for you.

You should receive a carers premium with your ESA. This is worth roughly £30 a week.

Thanks for that.

He doesn't receive Severe Disability Premium and has never claimed that. I have recently moved from ESA - Contribution to ESA Income based. All the time though that my wife is claiming Carer's Allowance I have nearly all that same amount deducted from my ESA, I certainly don't receive any extra. Don't know if this helps.

Thanks.

Thanks for that.

He doesn't receive Severe Disability Premium and has never claimed that. I have recently moved from ESA - Contribution to ESA Income based. All the time though that my wife is claiming Carer's Allowance I have nearly all that same amount deducted from my ESA, I certainly don't receive any extra. Don't know if this helps.

Thanks.

He wouldn't know he was getting severe disability premium, it is just an extra amount of pension credit for those in receipt of MRC/HRC DLA or Attendance Allowance, living alone who no one claims carer's allowance for.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

He wouldn't know he was getting severe disability premium, it is just an extra amount of pension credit for those in receipt of MRC/HRC DLA or Attendance Allowance, living alone who no one claims carer's allowance for.

He claims the highest rate of DLA (Care component and Mobility side). So are you saying that Severe Disability Premium is automatically paid? I see no reference to this in any of his paperwork.

Also if that is the case the Government are on to a really good thing here. They pay my wife carer's allowance and take the money off me, then they take the same money off my father meaning they get double back what they pay out! Good scheme for them. I will need to cancel the carer's allowance straight away Monday morning - I'm not paying the government so we can look after my father - we do that for free :)

He claims the highest rate of DLA (Care component and Mobility side). So are you saying that Severe Disability Premium is automatically paid? I see no reference to this in any of his paperwork.

Also if that is the case the Government are on to a really good thing here. They pay my wife carer's allowance and take the money off me, then they take the same money off my father meaning they get double back what they pay out! Good scheme for them. I will need to cancel the carer's allowance straight away Monday morning - I'm not paying the government so we can look after my father - we do that for free :)

If they're taking it off of him, then he must have been getting it. But yes, in your situation the rules are unfair. When the caring is in a household, say if your wife were your carer, you would have a net increase of just over £30 between you. But in your case there is a net loss over the two households.

Thanks for your help guys. All seems clear now, will cancel the carer's allowance first thing.

Just one more question :p

My father should be able to get the amount back with his Pension Credit once the carer's allowance is cancelled? Is that right?

Cheers

Thanks for your help guys. All seems clear now, will cancel the carer's allowance first thing.

Just one more question :p

My father should be able to get the amount back with his Pension Credit once the carer's allowance is cancelled? Is that right?

Cheers

He may need to complete a short form.