Where to turn to next?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am getting very frustrated and wondering what the hell to do next

.I am hoping you guys have some ideas.

In August of last year I got refused a mortgage and decided to look at my file,

I found that i had a default from British Gas for an old account at an address I lived in back in 2007-2008.

I moved out of this house on 15th August 2008 however in December of 2009 I had a default placed against me for £460

all my debt was cleared in that December including this debt. it was paid by my mother when I got a new job.

last August I contacted British Gas with regards to this account and stated it had been paid and why was it still showing as oweing £460 on my credit file.

They told me they had sold the debt onto a debt collection agency and the balance was showing as zero with them.

I was given the contact details for the company but when i called it i was told they had returned the debt back to British Gas.

I called them back to state this and was then told it went on to another company,

again i called and was informed this was also returned back in December 2009.

Once again I called and got nowhere, I decided to write a complaint and received a letter back stating they would not alter my file due to not having proof I paid it.

I was unable to find the proof so decided to take the hit and pay it again just to get it sorted,

only to be told they cant take payment as they no longer one the debt and if they took money off me it would show as a credit.

I said well i need to know who owns the debt and they cannot tell me. I have made a complaint by 3 letters

and around 30 phonecalls and despite them even contacting their finance department they cannot tell me who owns the account,

in the mean time im stuck with it on my report with no way to deal with it.

I have written to the ombudsman but they responded stating they have a duty to update the info only if they believe its been paid.

but as i cannot find the reciept i cant show it was paid, and i cant pay it as noone knows who owns the account.

What do i do?

Tony

i just recieved a call from British Gas after i contacted them again telling me that even though they dont know who had the debt they decided to buy it back

i now owe them £460 unless i can show its been paid.

they recon its impossible to tell me who the debt was bought from so i can search for the reciept.

the debt has been lost for the last 3 years noone chasing me as i believe it was paid

and now they just pull it out of thin air and expect me to pay it again

and wont tell me where its come from so i can check my recipets

Tony

your CRA file will tell you who owns the debt.

as for paying it again

that wont sort your issue

the default will still show in the history of the settled debt.

so

back to square one.

are you SURE it was BGyou paid or could it of more likely been some fleecing dca

that pocketted the money & not put it off the debt [more probable ]

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...