Is there any protection for debit card payments?

snugs1235
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Does anyone know if payments made by debit card are protected by any regulations in any way?

Long story short I joined an online gambling site which has turned out to be a con.

Its based in costa rica, so I have no way of forcing them to return my money.

I made a payment to them by debit card, played on the site and now have a balance above what I deposited

but have found out its a fraudulent site that does not answer emails or make withdrawls once they are requested.

Im not alone in this there are others too.

I have written to my bank who have not replied. I went into my bank and the woman at the help desk was not very helpful and basically said I should not gamble!

Are debit card payments suppose to be protected by banks or anything? Iv heard credit cards are, but sadly I used my debit card.

Thanks in advance :-)

Visa protects on purchases, can't see there can be any protection regarding gambling debts or subsciptions to such sites.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks Brigadier,

so if I had made a purchase of a physical item I would have gotten somewhere because my cards a visa debit?

Its a shame it doesnt help me. I don't mind losing my money if its by my own hands, I just don't like the fact that its basically been stolen.

Thanks for your advice.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There is always open a complaint to VISA regarding this compmays fitness to be a VISA outlet.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

do it on the phone now

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

chargeback that is

dx

and they

chargeback that is

dx

Yes chargeback does work. I had the same problem when MFI went down the pan. Had paid a deposit on my Debit card of £1800 and MFI said I had lost all my money.I called my bank ( Barclays) to do a chargeback. Although at first they 'pretended' they didnt know what chargeback was, when I explained the rule to them they repaid all the money back to my account. Also, if calling Barclays, there is a freephone number 0800 400100 that gets you through to them for any problems re your account.

Thanks all.

I phoned my bank (Nationwide) and the person on the phone said that they could not take any action at all until I signed a form in the branch. I went into the branch this morning and filled the form out which they then said they would fax to head office. The woman kept saying that they would look into it but she could not promise I would get my money back!