debt collectors & Ex dir numbers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

. Over the last two years my step son has had a number of debt collectors after him for various amounts of money.

due to this I have had phone calls etc from these pond life which i stopped by writing letters ( this forum as been a great help).

However, as soon as I stop one from ringing, another takes its place.

I have made complaints to FSA, Trading standards, Communications officer and the police.

My Son as now left Home but still the letters arrive and the phone rings.

I Send the Letters back unopened and now they ask over the phone were is he.

I will not print my reply on this site, however I am sure most people will guess.

I believe that when the debts were sold at least two of the companies (banks) gave my telephone number which is ex directory to the collectors

is there any legal means of asking them if they did?

If they have what legal options have I?

because until the banks stop

stop doing this and take some responsibility for the actions of the people

they sell the debts too then people like me will continue to suffer harassment for other peoples debt

Edited by badbessie
more to say

Hi Welcome to CAG,

My guess is that it amounts only to the ''files'' on your sons debts are passed on when the debts are sold or assigned, it seems that as he was living with you your number has of course been on thee files, so little to be done imo.

If the calls continue ask your phonee provider to change your number, being x D just means it's not on them but it does not guarantee the number cannot be found.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

When My son opened the account I believe that that my telephone number was given without my permission by my Son. When the telephone number was given my Son said it was for Bank use only. My point is that my data not my sons was given to these people without my consent. The telephone number was in my name and paid by me. it was also stated that it was ex directory

Then your son is the one at fault,the creditors cannot possibly know he was not authorised to give out the number, so imo any ''claim'' has no merit.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Thanks for your reply, however when i rang the bank they would not give me any information about why my telephone number was given to these people because of the data protection act. I said but thats my telephone number why cant I find out. Its the Data protection act was the reply. They hide behind the Act when its in their interest. I have since wrote a formal complaint asking why my details were given out.

The details became ''public'' when your son passed on to a creditor/bank I believe there is no more to say.

Roger to that. But they always request Home telephone numbers Just in case there is a problem

Answer is sorry I do not have a landline that I can use. My Grandaughter manages every thing from a mobile very successfully.

Banks, they manipulate selling rates, knowingly launder money for international drug smugglers, do you think they are worried about a telephone number.

The government let LDV vans go under and Woolies go under all for the sake of a few bob, yet they pander to the banks and bail them out big time with billions when they are just a private business no different than the local fish and chip shop. I wonder why that is.

Give you phone supplier a ring and ask for a number change or better still, get their number and put a redirect on your phone so they ring themselves or the fsa or anyone nasty you can think of like the Sun newspaper.