Daniel.T90

Probation Extended in new position

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2468 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I have worked for my current employer for 3 years this may. Having been employed as a bar tender in may 2010, promoted to supervisor in April 2012 and again to Bar Assistant Manager in September 2012. At this point I was given a new contract and a 3 month probation period within that role. Reaching the end of that probation a new GM joined the company and extended anybody who was on probation a further 3 months, myself included.

Now obviously I've taken this as a threat to my job and have sought employment elsewhere. I have now been offered a new position at another employer and was wondering how much notice I need to give my employer, and what rights I have with regards to my situation.

Thanks

My guess is as the new GM probably knows very little about the current staff and their capabilities he/she wants first hand experience of their work so not a threat if you are diong the job properly.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The details of notice you're required to give will be contained within your contract. With regards to extending your probation, I'd say the new Manager was simply ensuring the capabilities of their team.

My issues with the extension of my probation is the reasoning behind it, 'under performing'. At present there is no manager or supervisors in place in the department I work in, and so all management duties are expected of me, without the support of a full management team. I am fully able to complete the roles within my contract, however the judgement of my 'under performing' is with regards to duties beyond my contract, which a manager should be in place to do

In addition there has been no manager officially in place since April 2012

Do you have a job description? If you do you can refer back to that when querying the extension of probation - if they're accusing you of under performing on roles not within your job description I wouldn't have thought they'd have a leg up stand on!

Hi Daniel. Just a note to think about. As you were previously employed, they cannot dismiss you if you fail at the end of the extended probation, they can only move you back to your original job. My guess is that they just want the change in structure to settle down before making decisions and if they are not sure of how everybody is performing due to there being no manager in place to report this, they are likely just assessing. If they pass your probation without knowing how you are performing in the role, it would be more difficult to remove you from that position afterwards. I wouldn't take it to heart, just show them how good you are!