• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The Sheriffs Office - what can they do ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI,

quick bit of history - debt of £1300 with a CCJ attached to it.

Agreement made 6 months ago to pay it off at £100 a month

the £100 has been paid each month without fail.

Earlier on today i had a visit from to High Court Enforcement Officers from The Sheriffs Office in relation the above debt.

I explained the debt was being paid monthly and had not heard anything about the solicitors sending bailiffs etc.

They told me that a high court writ had been taken out and that they could not leave without either full payment + over the same again in costs or without taking goods and it was not up to them to find out if i was paying they were just here to get what they came for.

To cut a long story short they said they were going to arrange to have my car towed away and that a tow truck would be with them in half an hour - i had already explained at this point that the car was for business use (taxi) but they said it didn't matter as they were high court enforcement NOT bailiffs and they could not make an agreement, leave a walking possession order or give me any grace - it was payment of over £2900 immediately or i lose the car. They parked on my drive so i couldn't move my car and they said they could force entry to the house or drag the car off the drive and they would call the police if put anything in the way of the car (such as myself lol).

Anyway - they eventually left without the car or payment after i phoned the solicitor who dealt with the initial payment plan and he spoke to them and called them off.

What i would like to know is how legal were there demands ?

Could they take the car as it was a taxi for business use ?

can they demand the money or goods instantly with no walking possession order etc ?

Do they have rights above a bailiff ? His exact words were " We have more legal right to be on or in your property than you do"

and ill finish with, despite the above they were civil and seemed nice enough chaps - I'm just not quite sure how truthful they were with taking the car, no possession order etc

Im seriously considering putting in a complaint so want to know what s what law wise thanks

D

if it was set up with the court to pay they should not be visiting you

with a CCJ there is NOT right of forced entry to a residential address

They have no more rights than a bailiff

Bailiffs lie we will call the police is the usual BS they come out with

i would say the car /taxi is income so they should not be able to take it many bailiffs don't act lawfully

There was a order in place with the court so they should not be visiting

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Perhaps your Solicitor could lodge a complaint.

This does sound very wrong indeed.

Judgments can only be interefered with by the court and they dont normally do that from your perspective because you have maintained payments.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you had agreement to pay the ccj in installments and have not defaulted on that, then the ccj stays with the County Court...the claimant would need to apply back to the Court to vary the agreed payment or make an application for enforcement. I very strongly suggest you make an application to set aside the writ or stay execution of the writ due to the grounds on which it was obtained. That is done on Form N244 and can be downloaded from HMCT website. If you need help filling that in just come back here.

Your taxi is a tool of the trade and exempt from seizure if it is used solely for that purpose ie: it is not used for family outings shopping etc. etc.A stay of execution to the writ will send them home with their tails between legs, if you also decide to set aside the writ and it is successful all their fees( the're figures that look like telephone numbers) disappear as well.

They are allowed to force entry to a building detached from your dwelling eg. garage. shed etc. but they have no right of entry to your home, quite simply deny them 'peaceful entry' and there is naff all they can do about it....except threaten to take the car.

WD

Edited by wonkeydonkey
  • Haha 1

When the sheriff officers are enforcing a court order for a debt you can still contact the person or company you owe the money to by telephone to make a payment towards your debt. You may be able to prevent any further action by negotiating with your creditor or their agent to make payment to the sheriff officers.

They can only act on an existing court order. They were chancing their arms

You should complain

Society of Messengers-at-Arms and Sheriff Officers

11 Alva Street

Edinburgh

EH2 4PH

Tel: 0131 225 9110

Fax: 0131 220 3468

E-mail: [email protected]

scotgal 

sheriff officers and bailiffs aren't the same. Scots law is different, they can enter your home if they have the correct documentation, they can force their way in and if you obstruct them you can be arrested for breach of the peace. Unlike bailiffs, sherriif officers and messengers-at-arms are appointed by the court or act as reps for others appointed by the court

scotgal 

When the sheriff officers are enforcing a court order for a debt you can still contact the person or company you owe the money to by telephone to make a payment towards your debt. You may be able to prevent any further action by negotiating with your creditor or their agent to make payment to the sheriff officers.

They can only act on an existing court order. They were chancing their arms

You should complain

Society of Messengers-at-Arms and Sheriff Officers

11 Alva Street

Edinburgh

EH2 4PH

Tel: 0131 225 9110

Fax: 0131 220 3468

E-mail: [email protected]

sheriff officers and bailiffs aren't the same. Scots law is different, they can enter your home if they have the correct documentation, they can force their way in and if you obstruct them you can be arrested for breach of the peace. Unlike bailiffs, sherriif officers and messengers-at-arms are appointed by the court or act as reps for others appointed by the court

In this instance the Sheriffs Office are High Court Enforcement company based near Crawley in Sussex, nothing to do with Scots Law at all.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was not refering to a Sheriffs officer.

I was refering to 'The sheriffs Office' which is not situated in Scotland. They are HCEO's situated south of the boarder.

http://thesheriffsoffice.com/articles/hceo_rights_of_entry

Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were referring to the Scottish Sherrifs officers

Perfectly understandable given the name of the company. You can see more of them on BBC1 starting next Monday morning at 11am http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01q0jrc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At last when I actually knew something about something - it was bloody useless lol

But did you get the T-shirt? That aside we all have to learn somewhere & somehow and like everything CAG is a steep learning curve in different situations - not helped by what people or companies call themselves, don't despair stick at it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were referring to the Scottish Sherrifs officers"

When a company name bears a resemblance to an official title, it is best to be safe and ask the question, to make sure of the facts. I think they should change their name as they could get into some trouble with it hopefully in the near future

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thank you VERY much for your posts everybody, sorry for the late reply

It would appear i was correct in my thinking so i'm quite happy about that, I shall be writing letters of complaints :D

To clarify a few points

The car is Solely a Private Hire Taxi and it has a Council Plate in the rear window so they could see what it was and they were told what it was - they just chose to ignore it and tell me as they were high court enforcement officers and NOT bailiffs they could take the vehicle even if it was for business and they could force entry to the house (this is when they quoted the "we have more legal right to be here than you" lol)

I shall go and look into getting the stay of execution and shall start to put together a letter of complaint now

So, THANKS :D

D

I have had a good read of the Standard for Enforcement officers here:: ww.justice.gov.uk/downloads/courts/bailiffs-enforcement-officers/national-standards-enforcement-agents.pdf

and read the blurb here also : ww.hceoa.org.uk/faq/have-you-been-visited-by-a-high-court-enforcement-officer.html

and what i cannot seem to find an answer for is the following questions (can we assume for the purpose of the questions that the car on my drive is NOT a taxi)

Should they give me time to find the money pay - ie, should they do a walking possession order to give me 24 hours to find the money before they take away good - or is it really a case of pay NOW or we take goods NOW with a high court writ issued ?

When i stated to them clearly that the debt was being paid on a payment plan should THEY have phoned up to check this or are they allowed to ignore it and continue without investigation ?

What evidence should i of been given to prove who they were and what rights they had ? - They were wearing cards around their necks but at no point was i given or shown what i would deem to be identification. In terms of evidence to a writ being issued they would only show me a piece of paper/letter which to be honest i could of printed myself - i was not allowed to hold this letter and i was not given a copy of this letter - i was actually told that there was no requirement for me to have a copy.

did you read this link

right of entry link]

Thanks for that

So essentially - if your front door is unlocked they can just walk straight in ?

what would be the consequence of a person standing at the front door with it open and stating "you are not coming in" - could the HCEO force his way past you before you had chance to close and lock the door ?

Thanks for that

So essentially - if your front door is unlocked they can just walk straight in ?

what would be the consequence of a person standing at the front door with it open and stating "you are not coming in" - could the HCEO force his way past you before you had chance to close and lock the door ?

Some will try. It is unlawful Forced Entry, but proving it is impossible unless you have video footage of it happening. It is best not to put yourself in the position of trying to enter your property whilst a Bailiff is there. Keep eyes about if your arriving home.

The Door in the Foot tactic is also unlawful despite what Bailiffs claim as its classed as forced entry.

You are far better speaking through a letterbox or window, or leaving out the back and speaking to them outside with the house locked up tight. Don't be holding your keys in your hand either, Bailiffs have been known to make a grab for them.

If you can, with a phone or camcorder, film all dealings with the Bailiff anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bailiffs & HCEO's all have one thing in common - they must gain peaceful entry. If they cannot gain entry or otherwise levy on goods outside then they are powerless and can do nothing. Another little known fact is that they can only enter with permission & if asked to leave, before commencing listing goods, must do so otherwise they commit trespass and can actually be removed using appropriate force.

They may enter through a closed but unlocked door or an open window. They may also gain access to your property by scaling a wall, gate, fence or hedge providing they cause no damage. The HCEO may force entry to any detached building on your property - garage, outbuilding, greenhouse etc if he believes they contain goods that may satisfy the debt.

Following a valid levy of goods the HCEO may force entry on his return if he is excluded - he will need to be granted permission from the Claimant to do so, he does not need a separate Court Order. Very rarely would this happen if the occupier was absent. If the goods seized belong to a 3rd party then proof of ownership should be provided, goods can & will be removed immediately. If proof of 3rd party ownership cannot be provided at the time the owner has 5 days in which to provide the necessary proof & maybe subject to Interpleader action if there is doubt.

The situation is different for a commercial debt & premises.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

and what i cannot seem to find an answer for is the following questions (can we assume for the purpose of the questions that the car on my drive is NOT a taxi)

You can send them proof that the car is a taxi. It is a tool of the trade so therefore cannot take it.

When i stated to them clearly that the debt was being paid on a payment plan should THEY have phoned up to check this or are they allowed to ignore it and continue without investigation ?

Yes they should of checked, I cannot understand why they came out in the first place if there was a payment plan in place. Unless it was taking too long to pay it off and they thought they would try and hurry it up, plus get extra costs on top.