Scottish Power helping the vulnerable......no they're not!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4122 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in a one bedroom cottage and am currently paying £25 per week for gas and electricity. I am in the support group for ESA and suffer from angina and other heart conditions.

I had to wait almost a year to get assessed for ESA and, until then, was living on £60 a week...after crisis loan deductions.

I can't believe the amount of gas and electricity that I am using and so have just phoned Scottish Power after looking on their website where they promise to stop any deductions to debts for the most vulnerable between December and February...the winter months. They say they would write to you. This is now January and I've just been told that I wouldn't get that help backdated. It's a disgrace.

I would consider myself to be in that vulnerable group. I live on my own with serious health conditions and yet they continue to take almost £6.50 per week from me before I even take any fuel. The standing charges are disgusting.

I really feel as if this is a PR exercise because how can they tell who is vulnerable and who isn't? Where do they get that information from? Do they get it from DWP? If so, why are they getting this information without having my permission to receive it?

I also had to get Transco round to my property because my gas supply keeps cutting out...especially when its very cold outside. One night they had to come out and told me that there should be a box covering the gas meter for protection. I had raised this issue with Scottish Power previously because this meter has never had a box since I moved in. They told me they are not responsible for the box. The guy at Transco told me that they are responsible and that they fit boxes every day of the week.

When I advised them of this they still said they were not responsible.

My gas supply is being prejudiced because of this and I cannot afford to buy a box.....

I feel really let down....firstly because I feel that the "helping the vulnerable" statements on their website are only a PR exercise and secondly that they expect customers who are buying gas at extortionate prices now....to purchase a box that protects the safety of the meter. They say the meters are covered by another company.....so despite me paying these prices to them they still refuse to keep your supply safe.

This is completely wrong!

On top of this its very confusing. I am now in emergency credit on both meters and don't know what is going to be taken off when I top up. the man told me that the gas meter only takes money off when you top up......this is just wrong! People need to know where their money is going and they need to be told before these meters are put in exactly how it works and how much is going to be taken and when. If its confusing me....I'd hate to think how people with learning difficulties get on with this. It's just not on!

Thank you for your response David. It seems that nobody knows who is responsible for the boxes then. My meter stops working when its cold because there is not a box around it. The guy who was called out to examine my meter told me that you were responsible...and that they fit boxes every day for the energy companies. If its part of making the supply safe....ie the pressure drops when its cold and I was told that there could be an explosion when the pressure goes up again....added to the fact that 3 times in 2 weeks I was without gas because of the pressure...so the supply that I am paying for is affected by this...then it would seem appropriate that you are held responsible to ensure the pipes and meter are safe!

Can you point me in the direction of the legislation that says that you are not responsible for the safety of pipes and meters. The meter is outside my property and very vulnerable.

I would like to add that this didn't happen before I got pre payment meters fitted. the meters seem to eat money. I'm putting in £25 per week on gas and electricity and I live in a one bedroomed cottage. I had to put another £10 in on Monday and that's gone...just put another £5 in today in the gas...and electricity. Electricity now showing at just 58p...with the money added not showing. I thought some of the money I pay by law needs to go to the supply of fuel for me. This is really bad and affecting my health.

Here's a link to National Grid's website confirming meter boxes are the customer's responsibility

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/GasServices/MeterBoxSpares/

New meter connections (when you get gas put in for the first time) usually include a meter box in but this is included in the cost and is paid for by the customer or builder.

In your case it's unlikely that there was never a box there. Even so I'm afraid if you own the property you would need to arrange for a new box. Otherwise if you are renting you could talk to your landlord.

If your meter is in emergency credit then it will not take standing charge, however, this means that when you put the meter back into credit the standing charge will be collected. That said, you will still get a minimum of 30% gas for each top up.

My account is not with National Grid...it is with Scottish Power. When you take over my account you should ensure everything is in working order and safe. If its not, then you should make it safe.

I've just had a look at this link you provided. It says maintenance of the meter boxes are the customer's responsibility...not theirs! However, as I have said above, my account is not with National Grid. My account is with Scottish Power....and please direct me to the terms and conditions where it states that you don't take over meter boxes? You supply a new meter for PPM so therefore you should ensure that the meter is kept safe and sound. That's what the person said that came to look at my gas supply when it went off. There is something wrong and it has nothing to do with me. This never happened before I had PPM installed.

I've just had a look at this link you provided. It says maintenance of the meter boxes are the customer's responsibility...not theirs! However, as I have said above, my account is not with National Grid. My account is with Scottish Power....and please direct me to the terms and conditions where it states that you don't take over meter boxes? You supply a new meter for PPM so therefore you should ensure that the meter is kept safe and sound. That's what the person said that came to look at my gas supply when it went off. There is something wrong and it has nothing to do with me. This never happened before I had PPM installed.

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/

National Grid look after the supply/pipes for your utilities supplier Scottish Power where your accounts is held

The SP Rep is correct If you own the property you are responsible for the meter box,If your rent the property from a landlord,the landlord is responsible for the meter box...

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Yes they do.....and hence the contract with National Grid is between Scottish Power and NG....not the customer and NG! The contract with SP is for the supply of gas. If the gas supply is being affected by the fact that there is no protective cover...then I think that SP should supply that. After all....they take enough in standing charges and cost of the gas. I can understand if there is a box there...the maintenance should be up to the home owner. If there is no box there, if it is needed to protect the gas supply then SP should provide it. The lack of cover is clearly affecting the gas supply to my property so it should be down to SP to provide one. I contacted Scottish Power to have these meters installed and therefore if a cover is needed for the gas supply to reach my home - it should be provided as part of my contract with them. If it doesnt affect performance...that is different. This may be a safety hazard so therefore it should be provided by the company supplying the gas.

I live in a one bedroom cottage and am currently paying £25 per week for gas and electricity. I am in the support group for ESA and suffer from angina and other heart conditions.

I had to wait almost a year to get assessed for ESA and, until then, was living on £60 a week...after crisis loan deductions.

I can't believe the amount of gas and electricity that I am using and so have just phoned Scottish Power after looking on their website where they promise to stop any deductions to debts for the most vulnerable between December and February...the winter months. They say they would write to you. This is now January and I've just been told that I wouldn't get that help backdated. It's a disgrace.

I would consider myself to be in that vulnerable group. I live on my own with serious health conditions and yet they continue to take almost £6.50 per week from me before I even take any fuel. The standing charges are disgusting.

I really feel as if this is a PR exercise because how can they tell who is vulnerable and who isn't? Where do they get that information from? Do they get it from DWP? If so, why are they getting this information without having my permission to receive it?

I also had to get Transco round to my property because my gas supply keeps cutting out...especially when its very cold outside. One night they had to come out and told me that there should be a box covering the gas meter for protection. I had raised this issue with Scottish Power previously because this meter has never had a box since I moved in. They told me they are not responsible for the box. The guy at Transco told me that they are responsible and that they fit boxes every day of the week.

When I advised them of this they still said they were not responsible.

My gas supply is being prejudiced because of this and I cannot afford to buy a box.....

I feel really let down....firstly because I feel that the "helping the vulnerable" statements on their website are only a PR exercise and secondly that they expect customers who are buying gas at extortionate prices now....to purchase a box that protects the safety of the meter. They say the meters are covered by another company.....so despite me paying these prices to them they still refuse to keep your supply safe.

This is completely wrong!

On top of this its very confusing. I am now in emergency credit on both meters and don't know what is going to be taken off when I top up. the man told me that the gas meter only takes money off when you top up......this is just wrong! People need to know where their money is going and they need to be told before these meters are put in exactly how it works and how much is going to be taken and when. If its confusing me....I'd hate to think how people with learning difficulties get on with this. It's just not on!

Thank you for your response David. It seems that nobody knows who is responsible for the boxes then. My meter stops working when its cold because there is not a box around it. The guy who was called out to examine my meter told me that you were responsible...and that they fit boxes every day for the energy companies. If its part of making the supply safe....ie the pressure drops when its cold and I was told that there could be an explosion when the pressure goes up again....added to the fact that 3 times in 2 weeks I was without gas because of the pressure...so the supply that I am paying for is affected by this...then it would seem appropriate that you are held responsible to ensure the pipes and meter are safe!

Can you point me in the direction of the legislation that says that you are not responsible for the safety of pipes and meters. The meter is outside my property and very vulnerable.

I would like to add that this didn't happen before I got pre payment meters fitted. the meters seem to eat money. I'm putting in £25 per week on gas and electricity and I live in a one bedroomed cottage. I had to put another £10 in on Monday and that's gone...just put another £5 in today in the gas...and electricity. Electricity now showing at just 58p...with the money added not showing. I thought some of the money I pay by law needs to go to the supply of fuel for me. This is really bad and affecting my health.

Yes they do.....and hence the contract with National Grid is between Scottish Power and NG....not the customer and NG! The contract with SP is for the supply of gas. If the gas supply is being affected by the fact that there is no protective cover...then I think that SP should supply that. After all....they take enough in standing charges and cost of the gas. I can understand if there is a box there...the maintenance should be up to the home owner. If there is no box there, if it is needed to protect the gas supply then SP should provide it. The lack of cover is clearly affecting the gas supply to my property so it should be down to SP to provide one. I contacted Scottish Power to have these meters installed and therefore if a cover is needed for the gas supply to reach my home - it should be provided as part of my contract with them. If it doesn't affect performance...that is different. This may be a safety hazard so therefore it should be provided by the company supplying the gas.

My contract is not with National Grid....their contract is with Scottish Power.

gemspan

Who is the legal owner of the property you live in ?

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Yes I am very unhappy and will be unhappier still if the pressure falls to such an extent that there is an explosion caused by your refusal to cover the meter. My contract is with Scottish Power, not National Grid or any metering company. Your contract is with them. My contract is with you and part of that contract means that I don't expect my supply to be dangerous. I was told that the standing charge covers maintaining pipes etc. Why would the person who came to check the supply as an emergency call out, tell me that you are responsible? Why would he tell me that they fit these boxes every week for people through various energy companies? It seems that the energy companies want to charge us extortionate amounts for fuel....but are failing to provide us with even the basics. He also told me that they are not available for sale in B&Q which is what I was told by your company. Where do I get a meter cover box?

Why have you copy/pasted all my posts? I don't need reminding of what I have written and I haven't written it for you to come on here and give misleading advice. If I buy broadband....if the wiring is in a cover in order for that broadband to operate properly....it is not unreasonable to expect a replacement if the cover is faulty or if the appliance doesnt work properly. What is the difference with this? Scottish Power are supplying me with gas. My gas supply is compromised because there is no cover on the meter. The meter needs to be covered to work properly. Why is it the customer's obligation to buy a cover?

Why have you highlighted parts of my posts? Are you trying to harrass me? I have asked for advice from Scottish Power or from people who can help. It's clear that is not your intention so please stop posting on my thread. Thank you! And please do not post on any other threads I respond to if you only care to harrass.

To highlight why your using more Gas,you actuality answered your own question Twice !

I would like to add that this didn't happen before I got pre payment meters fitted. the meters seem to eat money.

. This never happened before I had PPM installed.

Because you had pre payment meter fitted I can only guess it's because you had problems paying a bill or previous debt and pre-payment meter's are set to recover a debt ?

If the pre-payment meters where fitted under a Warrant obtained from magistrate court/sheriffs court,the legal cost will be added onto the debt as well !

Nothing to do with a Meter box which is the responsibility of the person who owns the property as the Scottish power rep kindle pointed out to you...

Harass you NO, Help you Yes ....

Good luck....

Edited by 45002

Yes I am very unhappy and will be unhappier still if the pressure falls to such an extent that there is an explosion caused by your refusal to cover the meter. My contract is with Scottish Power, not National Grid or any metering company. Your contract is with them. My contract is with you and part of that contract means that I don't expect my supply to be dangerous. I was told that the standing charge covers maintaining pipes etc. Why would the person who came to check the supply as an emergency call out, tell me that you are responsible? Why would he tell me that they fit these boxes every week for people through various energy companies? It seems that the energy companies want to charge us extortionate amounts for fuel....but are failing to provide us with even the basics. He also told me that they are not available for sale in B&Q which is what I was told by your company. Where do I get a meter cover box?

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/GasServices/MasterDocuments/FAQs/Meter+Box+Repair+FAQs/NewMeterBox.htm

• Haha 1

I am sure that 45002 had no intention of harassing you - it is common practice to highlight a post that is being responded to.. by quoting it. That way the particular issue being responded to is there rather than having to scroll back over the thread.

Have you contacted the energy watchdog? They might be able to offer some advice. ? I understand there are also charities that will help out in situations of extreme hardship - I believe some of them are indeed ooperated by the energy companies themselves.

Citizen Advice Bureaux would almost certainly have an idea of whom you could contact.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My meters were fitted because I am sick and I don't want to run up big bills that I cannot pay. It is not your place to make assumptions as to why I want to keep my budget in check. I feel I am being responsible. What I am saying is....before I had pre-payment meter fitted my gas was never interrupted due to cold. I am telling you what I was told by the person who was on emergency call out and I am putting my thoughts on the matter alongside that. The fact that my gas goes off when it is cold certainly does have something to do with the fact there is no meter box. The person who was called out to check told me this! Before you make assumptions about people I suggest you get the facts right!

This has nothing to do with hardship....although I am suffering due to the cost of fuel - as everybody else is......this has to do with the fact that I opted to have these meters fitted and prior to this I have had 4 years of not having cuts in my gas supply due to cold weather.

I trust this sets out my position clearly and before "guessing" what a person's circumstances are.....you need to know all the facts and answer the questions I am asking. This has nothing to do with the meter...although it does seem to eat money due to the fact that I have found out they take the standing charge off when you top up.

Remember you are dealing with people who are asking questions about worries they are having. A little bit compassion wouldn't go amiss...and I have noticed that from your other threads too. If you can't add something constructive then please don't assume to know!

Thank you.

Thank you for your response CitizenB. I realise that responding to a post somebody has made often means you quote it...what I am annoyed about is the fact that he quoted ALL my posts and tried to make me look like some sort of idiot....which I am not!

The weekly standing charge for gas through Scottish Power is £2.61 or thereabouts.....that is on top of the recent rises in fuel prices. That's a pretty big sum coming off any top up. If you top up every 2 weeks as I do....this comes off in one go...so if I top up £25 I get less than £20 in gas. Quite a substantial amount when you are living on benefits wouldnt you agree? I had a small amount outstanding when the meters were fitted and this gets taken off at just under £5 per week. It's very easy to get less than £10 for fuel if you top up every 2 weeks. Prepayment meters suit me though because it makes me watch what I am using. It's been good to see exactly what you are using and the tariffs are not that much different now....long ago they were much more expensive. This works for me but I find it very confusing trying to see what is coming off and what its for.