Declaring past depression on medical questionnaire

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - I have a question really. Whats the general consensus when declaring past depression on a mandatory medical questionnaire after getting a job?

I have acquired a little part time job at my university calling up alumni and fundraising whilst being at uni as I needed some extra cash. Its a minor job sitting down on the phone and calling people up, nothing more.

Our contracts were being prepped by HR in December, but they said we could all do some shifts, I racked up only 18 hours and I have two shifts booked for next week.

Recently we have been handed our contract packs and on the front page of the contract it says my employment is subject to "occupational health clearance" and included is a Medi-Gold medical questionnaire which has to be sent off.

On this questionnaire is a little thing for you to sign saying your happy to have your medical records accessed along with your happy to have a physical examination.

In the past I was treated for depression by the NHS and I know it is as a result on my record, however I left the service myself and i've been good mentally for a year and a bit so far.

I was speaking to friend recently about it who also had a mental illness at one stage in their life and they said not to declare it as they didn't do so in the past and are still within their job now, I spoke to my parents who both told me not to declare it as and I quote "people don't understand these problems nowadays.

I won't be able to get paid until I sign the contracts and do the medical questionnaire.

Thing is I want to declare it as I don't want any repercussions later down the line, but i'm guessing i'm going to lose my job now as a result?

Its not my first job, I have another job in retail and I didn't have to do this questionnaire so that's why i'm just generally unaware what would happen as a result of declaring it?

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Idlewood

I have to say that in my opinion honesty is the best policy. I think you should declare it as its not a reason why you can't do the job. However if it later came out that you hadn't declared it then that is a reason to lose your job.

Also these forms are a bit pointless as occy health is unlikely to contact your GP for your records unless there's an issue regarding disability and performance. I work in a high stress medical environment and despite having surgery on my back no one has ever contacted my GP. However don't treat that as a reason not to disclose as a failure to disclose could result in disciplinary action

I have to say that in my opinion honesty is the best policy. I think you should declare it as its not a reason why you can't do the job. However if it later came out that you hadn't declared it then that is a reason to lose your job.

Also these forms are a bit pointless as occy health is unlikely to contact your GP for your records unless there's an issue regarding disability and performance. I work in a high stress medical environment and despite having surgery on my back no one has ever contacted my GP. However don't treat that as a reason not to disclose as a failure to disclose could result in disciplinary action

Thanks for the prompt reply. :-)

I will declare it, just don't want to lose my job. That would suck badly.

Declare it. As the previous answer said,not declaring it would cost you the job anyway. Also I'm not sure if sacking you because of your past history would come under some discrimination or disability act.

No doubt someone else will be more clued up than me.

Wise action always declare anything that may come to light at a later date.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I agree that if you do not declare your history of depression and this is discovered at a later date you can be dismissed. However, I have just posted a new thread regarding issues which have arisen from declaring depression on a medical questionnaire.

I would say declare it. If you end up needing support at work some time down the line as a result of depression, it may make it easier for them to assist if they were already aware of the problem.

I was in a similar situation when I started my current job, I had to fill out a medical questionnaire to be sent to our occupational health visitor and I had not long gone to the doctors with stress. I declared this on the form. The health visitor mentioned it on the first occasion she met with me, but not since. My employers have not mentioned to me that they are aware, so I assume they were not informed by the company who look after our occupational health. I imagine my occupation health visitor would mention it if she felt it was affecting my work though.

Any pearls of wisdom that I give on the CAG forums is based on previous experiences and knowledge I have gained from being on these forums.