Help!!! Employer changing working hours

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, hope someone can help me out:?:

I have been working for my employer for over 2 years working a 12 noon - 8pm shift. I am the carer of my parents who are old and unwell (Father has had 2 heart attacks in the last 6 months and my mother has parkinson's disease)

I have been forced to work 9am - 5pm as part of the business needs with only one day notice from monday gone. I have told my manager there is nobody else to look after my parents in the mornings as I am the only child still living at home. My sister in law who is currently working part time (after recovering from cancer and being off work for over a year) is able to come over and look after them in the afternoon and evenings.

I have spoken to my manager and his manager and both have been very unhelpful. A colleague of mine who is the carer of her disabled mother had the same problem but after discussing with my manager she has stayed on the 12-8 shift. I have spoken to HR about the matter and seems like they are siding with the business and not understanding the family situation at home. They are still looking into the matter and will hopefully let me know the decision tomorrow.

In my contract it states I am contracted to work any 8 hour shift between 8am & 8pm.

I really need to get my old shift back as I am worried sick something may happen to my parents while they are home alone. A family friend has kindly offered to pop over for an hour in the morning this week to make sure my parents are ok but she has her own children to look after and I don't feel right asking for the help as they my parents and not someone else's responsibility. I am just really worried leaving them on their own as they rely on me so much

What has annoyed me the most is the fact my colleague spoke to our manager to look after her disabled mother in the mornings and without any problems was able to carry on with that shift.:mad2:

Can someone please help me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Mario12

Hello Mario12, welcome to the CAG.

Enjoy your visit, but take some time to look around the forum and understand where everything is.

It can seem confusing at first but you will start to find your way round and to understand what a helpful community we are.

You haven't received any replies to your post yet. Try posting your query again in a relevant sub-foum. You will get the help and support you need there.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.

Have you made a formal flexible working request under the relevant legislation outlining how the work can be covered? That is step one. It may be your colleague has beaten you to it as these are first come first served.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi Mario. You have the right to make a flexible working request like Emmzzi says, this is a statutory right that your employer needs to deal with through a formal process. The right to apply, however, does not include the right to have it granted. You can only make one application every 12 months. Can you also check your contract to see if it states your specific working times in there?

Perhaps the following draft letter will be useful. Though if HR are already considering the request I doubt they will revisit the decision.

Dear HR-person,

I would like to apply to work a flexible working pattern under my statutory right to request flexible working.

I confirm that I am eligible to make a flexible working request because I have worked continuously as an employee of [NAME OF EMPLOYER] for the last 26 weeks. I have worked in [NAME OF DEPARTMENT] as [JOB TITLE] since [DATE]. I have not exercised my statutory right to request flexible working during the past 12 months. I have responsibility for caring for an adult who father who lives at the same address as me [describe medical condition].

[Details of former hours and current hours]. I would like to request some flexibility to accomodate my caring responsibilities [provide details of caring responsibility]. Therefore I propose the following [details of proposed pattern of work].

I look forward to meeting with you to discuss this request.

Yours faithfully,

[name]

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

really important the proposal includes how the work will be covered - it is your job to work this out, not your employers

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hey guys

Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

The verbal answer was a no from HR. I am in the process of requesting flexible working hours. I dont think the answer will change bur at least im doing it by the book. The only issue i have is i may struggle to find someone to replace me in the department I work in.

Im sure there are loads of people wanting to work the earlier shift but how do i put it accross to my employer to ask staff rather than me ask employees?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

Recently found my contract and had a read through it. I have straight away spotted a problem. In the contract on the 1st page it states that if it is a temp move of working hours then i must be given at least 48 hours notice before the new working patterm.

I was given less than 24 hours notice.

If i put in a grievance for the breach of contract this will most likely effect my request for flexible working hours. Just seems like the company is doing what they want and when questioned, say its in your contract.

Advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Try the flexible request first before you start looking at the contract and getting all official/legal on them. At the end of the day you would like your request granted dont upset the employer first. although we all have rights we dont have to do the bull in a china shop every time to get what we want.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.