canuckfarfromhome

HMRC requesting self assessment after I have been out of the UK for over 2 years

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2463 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

I am wondering what you all thought of my situation, I have moved back to Canada in October of 2010 after a struggle to keep afloat after being made redundant. My partner and I lived off of savings after she to was made redundant and we were still waiting for her residence permit for Canada. I had worked temp agency positions for 5 weeks out of a 6 month period and never changed my tax code from my full time position preferring to pay a bit extra on PAYE as I had some problems with HMRC getting my code right the year previous.

As part of my leaving I filled out my P85 like a good little wage slave and duly reported my income, or lack of income. I moved back home and we lived with my Dad for a while. I would like to report that life has got a lot better and we are doing pretty good.

After 6 months back here I got my letter saying thanks for filing your P85, here is a small rebate on your taxes less repayment for an underpayment for the year previous, good luck etc etc etc. I thought my affairs were free and clear from the UK and job done.

I received another letter from HMRC last fall, apparently my file ended up on another desk of someone who wanted a self assessment done in 30 days. Well the letter arrived on day 28 from the date on the letter, I was pretty angry about that. With all the hullaballo surrounding the birth of my daughter I forgot about the request until a few days ago when I received a notification of my late filing penalty. [naughty word]!

I would love to send them a letter describing the time line, and how I consider all my ties to the UK to be settled and kindly go jump in a lake. What I need to know, dear caggers, is do I have a leg to stand on or am I destined to have to pay another pound of flesh to the HMRC?

Is this just a tax grab on us who followed the rules and filed our forwarding addresses to the HMRC?

Thanks in Advance

Dave

Do you have any assets in the UK and do you intend returning here? You could just as easily tell them you didnt get the request and ask them to send it again. Tell them that 30 days isnt long enough to receive post surface mail and 6 weeks is usual for that postal service and in the UK 6 weeks is given to return a paper return after a request for one has been made. If there is a British consulate or honorary consul near you, you could drop in and tell them how badly you have been treated and ask them to pass on a letter of complaint etc as HMRC cant be trusted to manage their own affairs.

Hi and thanks for the reply, I don't intend to go back to the UK nor do I have any assets. I intend to settle down here in northern Saskatchewan and get as much fishing in as possible. I can send a letter detailing the situation, but other than venting it won't do much as I remember from my previous dealings with HMRC. I also am not sure if I should treat this matter like a collection agency trying to collect on out of country debt as detailed in other threads. With Canadas reciprocal agreement on taxation I would really hate to get a tax bill from Revenue Canada for the HMRC fines.

This is why I threw the question out to the CAG as there is a lot of wise people answering questions here.

Dave

Then write to your last UK tax office and let them know that they are incompetent along with the form. Their demands for payment of a fine is extra-territorial and unenforceable under international law but that ahs never stopped bureaucracy so see if there is an Honorary Consul near to where you live to report back to the UK about what we know already, that HMRC is not fit for purpose. You might be able to get some help from your local MP, they can ask Canada's FO to moan at the UK's representatives in Ottawa

Well, the HMRC has been using a lot of temp workers over the winter. It might be wise to ask them to re-evaluate it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D