Universal Credit - Monthly

Gay_guy1986
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Housing Associations depend on payment of rent to get funding to build new houses and get money for large capital expenses. Because (at the moment) rent receipts are guaranteed they get favourable interest rates. When UC come in their income will be at risk and they will lose finance and what they do get will cost more. I believe the figures will result in a 8% drop in the housing supply!

Housing associations are also going to lose money due to the social sector size criteria (bedroom tax) from April as well. They will face huge loses and councils housing as well.

Ha and la's will be able to get direct payment under special circumstances the same as private tenants at the moment

I've just had a thought. The reasoning behind making UC monthly could be twofold. They say it is to prepare people for the world of work, it could also be a snide kick in the teeth letting people know what sort of money they would get if there were any jobs

Not quite sure how giving a person a weeks money and expecting them to make it last a month prepares them for work, but i could imagine a months benefits would be about equal to a weeks pay when in work.

Personally, I think that for JSA claimants, monthly pay is actually a good idea. When I was on JSA a couple of times, I know how hard it was lasting a month and a half from my last JSA payment to my first wage payment. Monthly JSA would have made the transition into work much easier. Anyone on JSA should be expecting to have to budget monthly once employed. But I do think there should be a proper transition for existing claimants. With regards to those on IS, ESA, child tax credits I have reservations over whether those who are vulnerable will get the help they need - I also think there's no point unless the person is ready to transition into work to pay them monthly. Maybe on ESA if someone is ready to consider work.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Some families on benefits can get over £500 a week, if you're out working, the employer doesn't pay you according to your circumstances, you get paid your wages regardless of family size, disabilities etc. I don't get paid that for knocking my pan in and dealing with people who would take my head off, given half a chance.

scotgal 

Some families on benefits can get over £500 a week, if you're out working, the employer doesn't pay you according to your circumstances, you get paid your wages regardless of family size, disabilities etc. I don't get paid that for knocking my pan in and dealing with people who would take my head off, given half a chance.

But if you're on a low income and work, you can claim benefits. I'm not sure I get your point here? You can't compare a single person circumstance to that of a family with children.

What single person are you referring to? I was responding to another post about 'what sort of money they would get if there were jobs out there'

My point is there is a culture of not taking work because it pays better being on benefits, I'm not saying everyone subscribes to that culture but it is there. That is all.

scotgal 

What single person are you referring to? I was responding to another post about 'what sort of money they would get if there were jobs out there'

My point is there is a culture of not taking work because it pays better being on benefits, I'm not saying everyone subscribes to that culture but it is there. That is all.

But that usually isn't about benefits being high, but about wages being too low and costs of things like travel being very high. We know that wages are too low because they need to be subsidised by benefits in order for people to be able to afford to live.

Or is someone supposed to take a job where they will be £100 a month worse off due to travel costs and other expenses?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I'm ever so sorry to ask, but what does this mean?

Something like "working very hard".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.