robbo2013

damage to part exchange prior to collecting new car

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2475 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. We've ordered a new car and agreed a price, which includes part exchanging my car. However, I managed to slightly damage a door recently. It's primarily superficial, but there is a slight break in paintwork and dent in the form of a small hole (where two panels join, not a hole in a panel).

As the price agreement was basically including no discount on the new car, I'm loath to knocking more money off my trade in. I've also not been given a copy of the agreement - only a print off of the initial 'estimated deal' which we then considered over a few days and phoned to agree to. We then went in and signed some paperwork that we've not seen since.

What advice can anyone give on this?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Presumably the car was inspected when a px offer was made and it would have been based on the condition of the car at that time.

If you have subsequently damaged it then the dealer has every right to knock down the px offer. How would you feel if the dealer delivered your new car with some damage but refused to reduce the price to cover the cost of repairs?

welcome to cag robbo btw

for any more input maybe best get thread moved to appropriate sub forum eg motoring.

IMO

:-):rant:

welcome to cag robbo btw

for any more input maybe best get thread moved to appropriate sub forum eg motoring.

Thanks for the replies. Short of time to research. Not able to work out how to move thread until tomorrow.

site mods will move it just now

IMO

:-):rant:

For a small dent/paint damage that you describe my local bodyshop would charge between £50-80 to repair to a high standard. Leaving the damage the way it is opens you up to a total re-negociation of the trade-in value and, generally speaking, the new car garage would claim the repair costs will be far higher than this quote and knock if off your value.

I would seriously look into speaking a small local independant body shop who could turn your car around probably same day.

take my word for it,when you take the dented car in to pickup the new one,they will look it over again anyway and then charge you more,happened to me

Thanks for moving the thread to a more appropriate place. Thanks also for the replies. Got a quote today for the work. £200 + VAT. Car door skin needs removing and seal around window replacing apparently.

I've posted on two forums and got mixed/conflicting responses to be fair. "Risk passes to the buyer" and "dealer didn't look over car when exchanging keys". As it is taking four months to exchange, the "offer was made on the condition of the vehicle at the time" seems only partly valid as four months wear and tear is a lottery. I could have taken it touring Europe for all the dealer would know. There has to be some risk from the buyer's point of view. I am not sure where the cut off applies though. (and the new car analogy isn't applicable as there's a premium paid for getting a manufacturer's warranty, so of course I wouldn't take the keys, let alone leave the forecourt).

Based on the responses I've seen on both threads, I'm probably going to do 'the right thing' and repair it prior to the px. However, it'd be good to know where the boundary is. If it's visible, it should be fixed?

If not, it's a case of buyer beware? If I do 40k before handing over the keys, can the buyer walk away? If someone bumps the door in the supermarket carpark, I have to repair it before px?