fatcat3

Quit without notice and no contractual agreement- Payment?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2476 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there,

Around mid November, I got a part time job at a sort of concessions stand in a shopping centre. I worked there for an agonizing month where I was expected to do things which put my personal safety at risk and I was not entitled to a break

(even a toilet break!) when working for over 5 and a half hours as only 1 person works there at a time! I also ended up on most afternoon shifts working for an extra hour and a half (unpaid) and so would get home at ridiculous hours of the night.

I had not been provided with any sort of contract which stated anything on the details of my employment, my pay, notice periods etc. My employer also lied to me about how much I would be getting paid. (In hindsight I realise i should have demanded some sort of written contract in order to be sure about pay etc). So one night after a particularly bad day I decided to quit- I sent an email to them telling them I resigned.

The next day, I got texts from them asking where I was etc and I told them I quit- they claimed not to have received the email, so I resent it.(not sure if this is relevant lol)

Any-who, the point is that its been nearly a month since I emailed them and they still have not paid me. Since I had not signed a contract I was under the impression that they could not withhold my wages from me.

A few days ago I emailed them politely asking for my money, including a breakdown of the hours I worked and the money I was owed.

They have not replied, and I get the feeling they are going to ignore me.

What can I do from here? Should I send a written letter to their main headquarters or to the concessions stand? Should I take them to a small claims court?

I might seem a bit bratty to have quit for these reasons and in hindsight I do feel a bit silly/bad for not giving them any notice but if they were to fire me they wouldn't have given me any notice! The job was soul destroying and was having an extremely negative affect on me- physically and mentally and so I ultimately have no regrets on quitting like this.

Thank you so much for reading all of this! I would be greatful for any advice you can give!:-)

Hello and Welcome fatcat.

I've moved this thread to the Employment Forum you should get some advice shortly.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

1) You have a legal right to your particulars of employment, like a contract.

Regardless of what you have been/were told:

2) You are legally entitled to a 20 minute (unpaid) break after 6 hours of work.

3) You are legally entitled to toilet breaks, but they may be unpaid.

4) Employment Rights Act 1996 - You are entitled to receive Payslips and a P45.

Give them until Friday to respond to your e-mail. If they don't reply write a letter, send it first class recorded delivery to their head office.

Most people have only just returned to work after Christmas & New Year, so give them some time to get on top of their workload. They may need to speak to other functions/staff etc.

As well as your basic pay, you should also be entitled to payments in lieu of annual leave, which is probably 1-2 days pay on top of your basic wage.

• Haha 1

Cheers for the info/advice - I will definitely be doing this if they don't reply