Airport Customs and Revenue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been watching customs programmes in Freeview channel 11 Pick TV recently and it has given me a lot of concern. Can anyone throw some light on the following. I must admit it is probably quite unlikely to happen but \I| just wondered what would happen in this case.

I have noticed that sniffer dogs go round the passengers going through the nothing to declare exit but frequently people are pulled in because the dog has found something. This could be just a simple case of a taxi driver handing the case who had been taking drugs or some similar thing like that.

I was wondering what would happen if a passenger put a light package in my coat pocket when I was in the toilet on the plane hoping to retrieve after I had gone through customs. If I was pulled in I would no doubt be asked if I had anything to declare and the answer of course would be no. Once the package was discovered obviously the customs officer isn't going to believe me when I tell them that the package is nothing to do with me. I could in fact be imprisoned for quite a long time.

I would expect the package to be found on the scanner when they themselves went through the security but what if it was not detected?

Am I being paranoid about this? I really don't know how things work at airports.

I am travelling to Agadir in April and am getting quite concerned about this even the idea of a hotel porter or taxi driver handing my luggage. I am almost 70 years old now and obviously they are only trying to help but if they are used to taking drugs this could be spotted at the airport and cause me unnecessary delays.

I think you are worrying unnecessarily. I have certainly yet to see a sniffer dog at a UK airport. Try not to let it bother you. Stow your coat in the overhead locker. If i were going to smuggle drugs i would have them hidden in my hold luggage not in my pocket. Not that i ever would as i detest them,even so called soft drugs.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

My husband travels to and from high risk areas about once a month and has done for his entire working life. He has never had any problem with security, customs, sniffer dogs or immigration in the UK or anywhere else.

Other than taking such sensible precautions as not leaving your luggage unattended, you have nothing to worry about. I watch those programs too and customs officers know exactly who they are looking for and have enough sense to know if it's a simple case of someone else having handled your luggage.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Just a thought as well,if this is on pick tv just how old is the program. Remember it may also be propaganda to discourage people. Just how frequently are they used

Just a thought as well,if this is on pick tv just how old is the program. Remember it may also be propaganda to discourage people. Just how frequently are they used

If you are referring to sniffer dogs

you wouldn't see them that often because as well as the passenger terminal they are involved in parcels, lorries, shipping and so on. I don't know how many dogs they have at Gatwick and of course they need rest. periods too.

I only mentioned that because I know it happens. However the scanner should register drugs on all luggage before it arrives at the baggage reclaim and of course they will pull you in should they get a reading on it. There are of course a few that get held over just as routine and I think it's that that I am more concerned about.

At gatwick they have got rid of check-in for some low cost airlines. Previously they used to ask you if you have seen anything suspicious or suspect anybody could have fiddled with your bags, etc.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Thread moved.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

At gatwick they have got rid of check-in for some low cost airlines. Previously they used to ask you if you have seen anything suspicious or suspect anybody could have fiddled with your bags, etc.

Not just Gatwick and not just low cost airlines. If you have hold luggage you still have to drop it and you get asked (sometimes) At Amsterdam with KLM the whole process is automated, you even send your own hold luggage through.