DeeDubya20

Web Design Company Threating Court Action Against Me

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2503 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hope someone can help.

I recieved a call from a Web Design company offering a free web design with no obligation. I agreed to the trail as their prices were competative.

I viewed the web site that they had made and I was not impressed. I told the owner that I thought it looked basic an could they change the design, which they agreed.

They changed the design and I was pleased with it. I asked them over the phone how to go ahead with this. They advised they would send me out an invoice and the process to inform my current website supplier.

I recieved the invoice, but did not pay them due to an increase in work load in my business. I recieved a text from the owner asking me to pay the invoice. I sent him a text back asking if we could put this on hold until the new year due to my workload. I got a text back saying they could delay the website start date but would require payment straight away.

I did not pay, again as I was very busy and not had time to look into it further. I then recieved a text from the owner again saying that if I did not pay by a certain date he would take legal action against me.

I then sent him an email advising that I wished to cancel the order as I did not want to work with someone who would send threatening texts like this.

I got a bit of a snotty email back to which I have not replied. I have had a couple od text messages saying they are going to take me to court plus costs and interest unless I pay the invoice. I have had a letter from him saying the same.

I do not feel I am tied into anything as I have not signed anything, and I have his orginal email which states no obligation web design. Am I correct or should I be worried?

Many Thanks in advance for all your help.

You don't need to have signed anything or to have a written contract for a binding agreement to exist.

It seems to me that a contract may have come into existence when you called them and told them to go ahead.

However, if you now wish to withdraw from the contract then you would only normally be liable for the value of the work they have done and if the site is not complete then I don't see that they can force you to pay the entire sum.

However, you will have to pay something and if the site is not complete then you will receive nothing of value in return.

Dealing with web designers is very difficult and it is always a mistake to do things over the phone.

I'm sorry to say that you have admitted that you have been putting off paying because of your own work commitments. I think that you have to try and imagine how things would be for you if your own clients didn't pay you for work which you had done simply because they were too busy with their own clients.