style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a total idiot.

Today I decided to steal a fragrance from my local Debenhams store.

I took it to the toilet of the store, ripped off the barcode and then flushed it down the toilet.

I then walked out of the store, however I was stopped on the street by Debenhams security guards.

I'm only 17 and this shocked me.

I didn't know what the hell was going through my head.

I could've paid for it myself but I felt getting it for free was more cooler. I was an idiot I suppose.

the police officer came.

He said because I have no prior history on the database, I will only be given a fine which will not be recorded on any database and will not destroy my future career options.

He said this fine was more like a speeding ticket.

The offence code was DA12.

paid of the fine already of £80,

however when I got home I researched this and discovered that offence DA12 is recordable and I will now have a criminal record?

the value of the item was £45. I was given an information sheet about RLP taking civil recovery.

How much would this roughly be?

I do not want to fight as I want to pay this off immediately and try to get rid of any offences being recorded.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

You've posted in the right forum, but a subsection. I'll move your post to the retail loss prevention part and leave you a short term redirect.

I expect the guys will be along with advice for you, but you need to bear in mind that RLP is not the criminal justice system, it's a parallel one that has its own rules. The guys will talk you through it.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

You received a fixed penalty notice.

Although a penalty notice is not a conviction it will be recorded in police records. A penalty notice may be disclosed on a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) Enhanced Disclosure if it considered to be relevant to the post being applied for by a chief police officer. An Enhanced Disclosure is only available to those intending to work with children or vulnerable adults.

You can safely ignore the "Civil Recovery Letters".

Don't ignore anything from the police though.

So, unless you want to be a teacher/doctor/care worker/police/solicitor etc, it won't affect you.

You received a fixed penalty notice.

Although a penalty notice is not a conviction it will be recorded in police records. A penalty notice may be disclosed on a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) Enhanced Disclosure if it considered to be relevant to the post being applied for by a chief police officer. An Enhanced Disclosure is only available to those intending to work with children or vulnerable adults.

You can safely ignore the "Civil Recovery Letters".

Don't ignore anything from the police though.

So, unless you want to be a teacher/doctor/care worker/police/solicitor etc, it won't affect you.

What if I do want to become something within those fields? Would I have to state this during every job interview I have?

What if I do want to become something within those fields? Would I have to state this during every job interview I have?

Yes.

Your Fixed Penalty will appear on an Enhanced Disclosure, which is what such professions will require you provide.

If you apply for a job that does only requires a Standard Disclosure, then you do not need to declare the Fixed Penalty Notice, but obviously the jobs mentioned earlier all require an Enhanced check.

It could potentially stop you from getting your ideal job, but if you are honest, up front and genuinely reformed, you have a better chance of being given a "chance". An employer looking to recruit in these "enhanced disclosure" professions will need to consider:

The circumstances of the conviction or other punishment;

Any mitigating factors;

The applicant’s behaviour since conviction or other punishment;

The potential risk posed to patients, students, staff, the community, the profession and the property of the institution;

The perceived risk of re-offending.

If you try and hide the incident, you leave yourself liable for instant dismissal from any job you get in the future, if they subsequently find out.

What career did you have in mind?

Edited by firstclassx

Yes.

Your Fixed Penalty will appear on an Enhanced Disclosure, which is what such professions will require you provide.

If you apply for a job that does only requires a Standard Disclosure, then you do not need to declare the Fixed Penalty Notice, but obviously the jobs mentioned earlier all require an Enhanced check.

It could potentially stop you from getting your ideal job, but if you are honest, up front and genuinely reformed, you have a better chance of being given a "chance". An employer looking to recruit in these "enhanced disclosure" professions will need to consider:

The circumstances of the conviction or other punishment;

Any mitigating factors;

The applicant’s behaviour since conviction or other punishment;

The potential risk posed to patients, students, staff, the community, the profession and the property of the institution;

The perceived risk of re-offending.

If you try and hide the incident, you leave yourself liable for instant dismissal from any job you get in the future, if they subsequently find out.

What career did you have in mind?

Someone just told me that there is a small chance of it appearing in an Enhanced CRB, it is always not certain that it'll appear?

Something in the computing field. Computer science? Technician? However if I was to be a technician at a college or school would this Fixed Penalty affect this? :|

And also, what can I do about the RPL letters? I have read around the internet about these people. If I just ignore wouldn't they harass me until I pay?

Someone just told me that there is a small chance of it appearing in an Enhanced CRB, it is always not certain that it'll appear?

Something in the computing field. Computer science? Technician? However if I was to be a technician at a college or school would this Fixed Penalty affect this? :|

And also, what can I do about the RPL letters? I have read around the internet about these people. If I just ignore wouldn't they harass me until I pay?

It will almost certainly appear on an Enhanced Disclosure, which is required if you are working in a school, especially in IT.

There is probably confusion between Standard & Enhanced disclosures. It would be unusual and unlikely, but not impossible, for it to appear on a Standard Disclosure too. Unfortunately, a school/college will require Enhanced screening.

Being realistic, shoplifting can show you to be dishonest, have a poor decision making ability, a risk taker, desperate and a lot of other similar traits. Maybe if you wait 5 years or so, and you can say you've really learnt from your past mistakes. By the time you complete university, if that's what you want to do, it will probably be alright.

RPL will keep on hounding you, but just ignore them. Return to sender if you wanted.

If you pay up, they will obviously stop, but I suspect they will want a lot more than £45!

It will almost certainly appear on an Enhanced Disclosure, which is required if you are working in a school, especially in IT.

There is probably confusion between Standard & Enhanced disclosures. It would be unusual and unlikely, but not impossible, for it to appear on a Standard Disclosure too. Unfortunately, a school/college will require Enhanced screening.

Being realistic, shoplifting can show you to be dishonest, have a poor decision making ability, a risk taker, desperate and a lot of other similar traits. Maybe if you wait 5 years or so, and you can say you've really learnt from your past mistakes. By the time you complete university, if that's what you want to do, it will probably be alright.

RPL will keep on hounding you, but just ignore them. Return to sender if you wanted.

If you pay up, they will obviously stop, but I suspect they will want a lot more than £45!

So they cannot prosecute me or destroy my credit rating or land a county court judgement on me like they say they can do if I don't pay? I should just ignore? Are you sure this is the best course of action?

And, ahh. I am such a fool. Will I not need CRB screening for university? I plan to do well for my A-Levels, hopefully 3 A-A*s but if this appears on my CRB what then? I won't be going to a good uni?

sadly, it will show esp in education

however, i doubt very much it will matter at all.

the enh crb is only really done for student protection.

as for RLP

it will be £137.50

DO NOT PAY THEM

do not ack the letters

do not talk on the phone

even to spoof solicitors

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So they cannot prosecute me or destroy my credit rating or land a county courtlink3.gif judgement on me like they say they can do if I don't pay? I should just ignore? Are you sure this is the best course of action?

Hello again.

RLP have hardly ever been to court and the last time, it went really badly for them in the Oxford case. Only the police prosecute people.

If you don't pay, you will see a letter trail of increasingly desperate please for money. Have you looked at other threads here? We have loads of them and I can't remember the last time someone paid.

Hopefully more of the guys will be along later with views for you.

HB

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

and NO

they cant get a CCJ, destroy CRA filesetc etc

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thats for the COURTS to decide

not some PRIVATE COMPANY.

dx

and they

nope

you got a FPN.

only the police can instigate court

and they've already dealt with you.

dx

and they

My own opinion is that if you damaged the product enough so it couldn't be resold, and didn't have to pay anything at the time, then I think it is perfectly reasonable that you pay them the value of the item.

However, I suspect they will add all sorts of "administration" fees, which is likely to well exceed the value of damage caused. Whilst I think a reasonable administration fee of £10-£20 for writing a letter to you is acceptable, it is likely they will want £100+, which is certainly not reasonable - and I certainly would not pay such extortionate compensation.

You will more than likely be able to ignore the letters without any adverse affect on your life. There is a chance it could end up going to (civil) court. Worst case scenario there is court orders you to pay compensation. You won't get a bad credit rating, unless, and only unless:

a) It actually ever gets to court;

b) The court orders you to pay compensation;

c) You don't pay the compensation within a reasonable timescale.

Morally, I believe you do "owe" them something for deliberately damaging an item, but I lose sympathy for these companies when they add silly inflated fees and charges.

Bottom line is that even if you don't pay them anything, nothing is likely to happen, except 3-4 more threat letters.